Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
It's been a long time... (Read 127 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
It's been a long time...
04/14/20 at 09:25:16

Hello all, it's been a long time since my last post.

Issues, things, stuff, events in life.

The Savage is still there, I even fitted a new tank on her.
Quite simply, she's been sitting put for about a year now, and not riding her means I focus on other forums.

Then, I get Easter Greetings from a Forum Member and WHAM!, it brings it all back!
So here I am  Smiley

So, what have I been getting up to?

Some of you may recall I had a bad accident in July 2015, I broke three vertebrae and walked around with a chest brace for close to a year.
The BMW was junked.
Then, on April 1st 2016, I climbed back on - guess what, my Savage! - and started the good life again.

Or so I thought.  Roll Eyes

Come May 2019, I ride from Rome, Italy to Oxford, England (that's alooong ways EU-wise) to see my son in College and do a few Charity rides with the English (they can be quite fun guys) and on my way back to the ferry I have another accident.
Oh, dang !
A hurried lady commuter slammed into me from behind at a crossroads  and literally launched me into the steel barrier (guardrail)
Last thing I remember, I was riding, looking at the sat-nav on my handlebars and making sure "you turn at the next Junction" and keeping an easy 25:30mph.

Then, not a sound, just a strong shove, and I am Flying through the air face down and I only have time to realize "this is not good"...
...I wake up lying on my back, EMT all over me, one complaining in a loud voice to a Policeman "it took me a bloody 20 minutes to get here, traffic and all!".
Put that together with other comments, EMT response time, I must have passed out and remained unconscious for at least 40'...

Once at ER I overhear EMT telling the ER staff they resuscitated me, I had a pulse but they weren't sure I was actually breathing.

So… five broken ribs, broken collarbone, badly bruised hipbone and left knee. I couldn't keep myself upright, much less stand.

Thank God I had a A+-quality FF Helmet, it's so badly scratched and dented it looks like it went through a grinder.
If I had had an open face helmet, I simply wouldn't have a face any more.

I kept it as a good omen.

I had morphine for the very first time in my life. Roll Eyes
Lemme tell you, it wasn't that much of a high, or maybe I was the one too badly bruised to enjoy it.

Anyway, that was that. No win-no fee lawyer managed to squeeze a full £25000 from the defendand which almost halved once he took his fee.
What was left couldn't even cover medical expenses  Tongue

But hey, who am I to complain...

I still have my arms, legs, head, even Mr.Wilkins works!  Grin
I have fond memories of green fields and Morgan Freeman (here's to you, Steve Carell!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9tKvduaGsU

...aaand I plan to ride again once this Corona Flu scare is over   Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: It's been a long time...
Reply #1 - 04/14/20 at 10:06:30

Yikes. But glad you're OK.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 04/14/20 at 10:19:08

Pity one can't upload pics from his own PC.

I used to have a "bike,com" account but apparently that website won't allow to link pics any more?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/14/20 at 10:25:24

Well, good you're back, good you're in one piece.. You have taken some real pounding,, resilient dude.. While you were away some lady did the famous
Left turn in front of me. No time to even hit the brakes, I decided to get out from behind the bars and windshield and it hit as I was getting off. Forty five MPH , right shoulder first into the passenger door, launched me about twenty feet, ninety degrees, right turn. No idea how long I waited for a ride, I woke up, talked to her, passed out from the pain and I got my first morphine, and second in ambulance. It was just enough relief to allow me to talk without gritting my teeth and groaning the words out.
If I met that guy today, CV or no CV, I'd probably hug him..
In the FWIW department,
In order for a falling object to get to forty five MPH, it has to fall 66 feet.
No broken bones, just a screwed up shoulder and some occasional odd pain in knees and elbow,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/14/20 at 10:42:25

Yup, last time you talked to us was the 1st of last year, bmw's tend to do that.
Beaten, battered, but not fried.  Welcome back.
Surprised the wife hasn't put a lock and chain on your bike.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 04/14/20 at 12:11:14

Welcome back!  And I thought cutting my hand what a setback.  Wow!

I am not sure if I would feel safe riding with you thinking the chances that you could get hit a third time would be so small, or are you a target for some unknown reason?  Hmmmmmmmm

Huh

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 04/14/20 at 12:23:55

Glad you are alive!

mpescatori wrote on 04/14/20 at 10:19:08:
Pity one can't upload pics from his own PC.

I used to have a "bike,com" account but apparently that website won't allow to link pics any more?

----

You can always attach photos located on your computer with the "Choose File" button.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 04/14/20 at 13:22:40

You must be tough, I had two accidents in the space of a year, no where near what you have been through and you are ready to ride again as soon as you are fully rercovered, I stayed away from it for 27 years.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/14/20 at 14:57:36

Welcome back Pesci. So very glad to hear you are ok. So very sorry to hear that that happened to you though. I guess you need to thank God and the guardian angel he has watching over you.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 04/14/20 at 19:26:15

I don't know to thank my Guardian Angel for keeping me out of such things like you've been into.    You can bet I'll be more careful just thinking about your adventures !

Glad your healing along .    So did you put a standard tank or fit some bigger tank on your S-40 ?

I'm picturing a 3'x5' flag on the back of the bike to get noticed instead of hit. ???

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 04/15/20 at 10:02:50

Thanks all  Smiley

Here's what I was planning to do last August…
Roll Eyes
No, let's say THIS August…
Roll Eyes
Next August ? 2021 ? Pleeese ?
Embarrassed ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBM8-ekBBOU

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/15/20 at 14:07:27

Doesn't it just feel like home ?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/15/20 at 17:56:24

Glad to see you back on the forum, I was wondering how you were doing with the Covid-19 in Italy but that has only been one of your problems.  Sorry to hear of your accident and no one could ever fault you if you gave up riding motorcycles at this point. It takes some nerve to jump on one again after a serious injury, let alone two serious accidents. Your description of the accident and the condition of your full face helmet is enough to give me something to think about. I prefer my open face helmet but do have a full faced helmet and I might be wearing that one more often now.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 04/20/20 at 04:15:32

"Thank God I had a A+-quality FF Helmet, it's so badly scratched and dented it looks like it went through a grinder.
If I had had an open face helmet, I simply wouldn't have a face any more.

I kept it as a good omen.
"

Just remembered I have Googlephto

This is what's left of it. Pictures taken with broken collarbone, so left hand was very wobbly.
The pics don't really show in what bad shape it's in, which is living proof you neeed quality headgear, not just a beanie hat or a doo rag to keep the bugs our of your hair.

In "no helmet" days, my skull would have shattered, I would have died on impact.

In an open face helmet, my face would have been ground to the bone and beyond - maybe one's better off dead.

'nuff said.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 04/20/20 at 04:37:27

And now, for something much more enjoyable  Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ulIlnCvmJM

Across the Alps into Italy - Voiceover is in German, but subtitles are in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUOVRggcmCc

Touring the Alps - Music but no voiceover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMusxuLH3no

West to East across the Alps - Music but no voiceover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLsIDFYv8M

London to Sydney Motorcycle 1h10min - In English!  Cheesy

Pity one can't enbed Youtube videos any more...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:09:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › It's been a long time...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.