Send Topic Print
Torque limiter swap? (Read 103 times)
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Torque limiter swap?
04/09/20 at 08:17:40

I have a 87, I'm gonna swap starter gear for torque limiter. Just want to make sure I'm understanding it right,  
I can get the torque limiter and crank case cover off of a 96 or later and it will all just bolt on?
If so, does anyone have a crank case cover for sale?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Torque limiter swap?
Reply #1 - 04/09/20 at 10:04:55

Yup, that's right, it's bolt on.
And it is possible to have the cover modified to accept the new gear.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 04/09/20 at 10:37:31

FWIW, It took a little bit of machining, but I made the new parts fit my old style motor.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/09/20 at 16:16:53

Thank u VERRY much.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 04/13/20 at 13:10:09

I believe the machining is done to the side case, due to the new gear being wider , some of the case is ground away where the gear's shaft enters the case.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/13/20 at 13:14:04

batman wrote on 04/13/20 at 13:10:09:
  I believe the machining is done to the side case, due to the new gear being wider , some of the case is ground away where the gear's shaft enters the case.

Machining is done to the cover, about a 1/2" is removed from the boss.

WWW   IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/13/20 at 15:31:44

I found the old thread, it says take about a half inch off and u have to drill out the center of it to a bigger diameter. Doesn't sound to complicated, but I have a questions?
What does not taking enough off do?
What does taking to much off do?
Do I just drill out the center enough to fit new shaft?
I guess what I'm trying to get at is Are there certain tolerances I should be following?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/13/20 at 20:22:42

cut this boss down, do not drill the shaft hole.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/13/20 at 21:05:18

Berzerker wrote on 04/13/20 at 15:31:44:
What does not taking enough off do?
What does taking to much off do?
I guess what I'm trying to get at is Are there certain tolerances I should be following?

less is easy to fix, remove more, too much add washers.

On stator covers without the torque limiter, the boss is .513" below the surface.

On stator covers without the torque limiter, the boss is 1.034" below the surface.

When you put it back together, take out the starter and push the gear back and forth.  
Too much slop?  add washers.  bound up and starter won't turn, skinny washers or remove more material.

And washers only go on the torque limiter gear.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 04/14/20 at 06:01:05

Hey, if you're in that far, do the light flywheel! A few more steps. Dave has light flywheels, and a tool kit available for the project.

IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/16/20 at 15:46:06

Thank u Verslagen, for the specs.
A light flywheel? Wouldn't a heavier fly wheel be better for such a big single? I mean, if u have to cut throttle real fast I wouldn't think u would have the momentum to keep from stalling? I'll look into that.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #11 - 04/16/20 at 17:15:29

Talk to Dave Smiley
And Drag Bike Mike...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/17/20 at 04:16:41

Berzerker wrote on 04/16/20 at 15:46:06:
A light flywheel? Wouldn't a heavier fly wheel be better for such a big single? I mean, if u have to cut throttle real fast I wouldn't think u would have the momentum to keep from stalling?

I haven't noticed any huge change in the tendency to stall in a throttle chop.  When you get in to an emergency stop and have to hit the brakes hard and chop the throttle instantly - sometimes the engine can stall.  It is a carb issue more than a flywheel issue - if your engine is cranking 4,000 rpm and you instantly close the throttle - you have a huge vacuum pulling on the closed carb throat - and all the jets are closed except the idle circuit.  The high vacuum pulls a lot of air past the closed slide - but there is very little fuel to mix with the air.......the result is a mixture that is so lean the spark plug cannot ignite it.  It has also been suggested that if you are braking very hard all the fuel in the float bowl surges forward and the jets cannot pick up any fuel.  As the engine rpm slows down and the high vacuum diminishes the fuel/air mixture can return to normal and the engine resume firing with the spark plug the engine can begin to idle - but sometimes it stalls.

The stock CV carb has a TEV that is supposed to add additional fuel in those high vacuum situations and it may help prevent stalling during instant throttle close situations.  My engine has the Mikuni VM round slide carb with the jetting set up for clean running while the throttle is open, and I have the idle set at 1,100 rpm.  About twice a year somebody forces me into a panic stop scenario and the engine stalls.  If I had to come to a full stop in a hurry I have a lot of tidying up to do, as I generally would still be in 4th or 5th gear.  For most of the hard braking I don't stall the engine and I have enough time to get into a proper gear to get rolling once the emergency is over.  It could be that jetting the bike richer at idle could provide more fuel for those panic stops - but I don't want to ride a bike that is running too rich so that it might avoid stalling with a chopped throttle.  If the engine stalls I can generally hit the starter button and fire it right back up before I roll to a stop and I can just keep on riding.

The Savage engine has a very heavy electrical rotor, a very heavy crankshaft, a very heavy counterbalance shaft that spins twice the engine speed - the flywheel can be cut down without making any negative impact on the way the engine runs or the bike rides.  When I went to the middle weight flywheel from the stock one I got a 1/2 second reduction in my 0-60 times (my GPS speedometer has a 0-60 mph timer).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1504271719/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:34:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque limiter swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.