Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear brake actuator cable (Read 30 times)
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear brake actuator cable
04/09/20 at 04:28:51

I have an 88 and a few days ago my rear brake cable snapped. A new one is like 40 bucks but theres some used ones fairly cheap online. Has anyone put a newer 96-17 style rear brake cable on an older savage like my 88. If so how well did it fit??

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Rear brake actuator cable
Reply #1 - 04/09/20 at 04:39:05

According to the parts fiche, the same part has been used on all years.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/partsearch/suzuki?partsearch=58510-24b10

If you buy used, make sure you do a full clean, inspect and lube before installing.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/09/20 at 07:09:01

Theres a small difference on my 88 to more current models in that the end that connects to the rear drum on my bike has a solid metal rod about 18 inches long that attached to the cable. Where as the newer versions have just a small portion of threaded rod about 4 inches or so at the end to connect to the brake drum. Would the newer cable be the right length for my 88 being the difference in the rod for the drum actuator

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/09/20 at 10:39:03

I don't know if any variant in the frame between your bike (1988) and more recent.
I would think that as long as the overall length is the same, and the mounting points are the same, then the amount of thread at the end wouldn't matter as long as you could adjust it and have the brake work.

Both my bikes and my spare cable have the appx 4" of rod at the end, not 18".

Everywhere I look only shows that one part number for that cable, regardless of year.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/09/20 at 10:46:45

OK, I found one that has the 18" long rod you are talking about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Suzuki-OEM-Rear-Brake-Cable-1986-1988-LS650-5851...

It doesn't look functionally different.  This one has the rod the entire length with the last 4" or so threaded.  The other has a steel cable with a shor threaded rod.
I would think the cable would be preferred anyway.

The way the fiche records are "worded", the 58510-24B10 is a replacement for the 58510-24B00.  Look at Item 16-1 here.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32ea5f8700232d0b3d688/prop-stand-r...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:29:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake actuator cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.