Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
May have ruined engine. (Read 1004 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: May have ruined engine.
Reply #15 - 04/09/20 at 06:52:15

The end of the filter with the 5/8" hole in it goes toward the crankcase over the little round spigot cast into the crankcase. The small o ring fits over that spigot between the filter and the crankcase.

The side of the filter that faces the cover is closed. The spring fits in the recess on that end of the filter and presses up against the cover to keep the filter pushed onto the crankcase spigot when everything is buttoned up.

If the filter is installed backwards the hole from the crankcase is blocked and oil cant flow into the center of the filter and out through the pleats into the cavity created by the cover.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 04/09/20 at 06:54:31

Bokobob wrote on 04/09/20 at 06:01:30:
Dumb question:  if when I get the replacement side filter cover installed, might it be staying on the safe side to not put in a new filter initially?  If I do that and am brave/dumb enough to try to start bike that way and it runs ok, then after a few days riding, I could change the oil again and add a brand new filter.  

The good news is, your engine is not ruined. However, running without the filter could do that...don't run it without a filter. It's part of the oil "system" and I'm not sure how the excess flow /pressure would react.

Follow the instructions on this forum closely for installing the filter and cover. It should not be difficult. If it is, that's a red flag to stop what you are doing and check fitment of the filter and spring.

You got this old timer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #17 - 04/09/20 at 07:53:48

Bob,
I think my old parts engine is still closed up on the oil cover. If it is, I will open it up tonight and snap some current pics for you on these parts, the order, and what NOT to do. It is super easy to get the filter swapped 180 if you turn your head away for a second.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #18 - 04/09/20 at 12:59:07

When you're checking the oil level in the little window, is the bike on the sidestand or is it upright?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 04/09/20 at 16:13:55

Bokobob wrote on 04/09/20 at 06:01:30:
Meanwhile, my other thumper (1996) is in the shop getting new rear tire/tube installed and will be rideable once done.  (I did install a new filter in the 1996 bike when I changed the oil to motorcycle specific oil a couple of months ago when I bought it.  )

Best,

Where are you doing that ? My firnds at Gaston Motorcycle shop ???
If you go there, give Peavey a slap in the face and tell him the Injun called paaco says hi.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #20 - 04/09/20 at 17:12:36

More thanks to all.  
I hold the bike straight up when checking oil window (with telescoping mirror.)

I did the filter as per the explanation just provided but as said, when putting the filter back in after wiping out the cavity, it was difficult...

I had tire put on at Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki  Bike dealer on Franklin Blvd in Gastonia. (MS Motorsports)

Is the dealer Srinath mentioned on New Hope Rd in Gastonia?  Might it be Gaston MotorWerks instead?  (I don't deal with either of those two dealers, though I have nothing against them.)  

One day the bike will be all fixed up and running just right, but that day is not today...

Many thanks,   Smiley

Bob
84 and still riding
2009 S40 650, and Rebel 250
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #21 - 04/09/20 at 18:16:18

Ok...so here are all the bits inside there.

Not counting the engine case, the order they go in are:
(a) Little o-ring (sitting on the oil filter) goes over the engine oil port hole.
(b) Oil filter with the OPEN HOLE SIDE FACING IN goes on the oil port hole snug to the little o-ring.
(c) Large o-ring (goes on the oil filter cover in the obvious recess).
(d) Spring (keep this on the cover when reinstalling and push the cover and spring on simultaneously).
(e) Oil filter cover.

Pretty simple, but very easy to get that filter in backwards. When putting on the cover, push the spring onto the cover and apply gentle pressure as you make contact with the oil filter, then wiggle it slightly while holding light pressure to make sure that the spring sits into the recess on the outward side of the oil filter.

That's it!  Cool

oil.PNG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 04/09/20 at 18:17:35

Engine side (with the open hole)

oil3.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #23 - 04/09/20 at 18:18:26

Outward facing side (no hole, but recess for spring)

oil2.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #24 - 04/09/20 at 18:22:38

Spring should be sitting in the recess like this when you push the cover on.

***Spring would be on the cover when reinstalling, just removed for this visual.  If you try to cram the spring between the cover and filter while sandwiching them together it is likely you can misaligne it and not seat it properly on the cover side since you cant see up in the cover very easily.

spring.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #25 - 04/09/20 at 19:43:50

Doesn't the stock filter have a pressure relief type valve in it's center? I'm not sure but I think it has.
   It's a long shot but maybe this happened, If you ran heavy weight oil with a used filter for 200 miles which partially plugged up the filter then had the relief valve not work during a cold startup the extra pressure from the plugged filter and thick cold oil would have to go somewhere and popped the cover like a pimple.
  Just a thought, wish I could describe it better. Hope the engine is OK.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #26 - 04/10/20 at 07:21:26

Ed L. wrote on 04/09/20 at 19:43:50:
Doesn't the stock filter have a pressure relief type valve in it's center?

Everything I see has that little piece of metal welded to the center of the outer-facing side of the filter. If this wasn't meant to offer some sort of relief at a certain pressure I would think it would just be one solid stamped piece?  When I have time this weekend (and need to sneak down to the shop for a beer) I will take the old one I have and see if I can hack it open and investigate. I'm curious now   Huh

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 04/10/20 at 09:48:36

Ed L. wrote on 04/09/20 at 19:43:50:
Doesn't the stock filter have a pressure relief type valve in it's center? I'm not sure but I think it has.

When mounted properly, I believe the spring allows the filter to move outwards and bypass the filter - without blowing out the aluminum cover.

This sure looks like the classic explosion that happens when the filter is installed backwards......there really is no other logical explanation.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 04/10/20 at 09:58:35

Dave wrote on 04/10/20 at 09:48:36:
When mounted properly, I believe the spring allows the filter to move outwards and bypass the filter - without blowing out the aluminum cover. 

Yeah, that sorta makes more sense.  Installed correctly a majority of the pressure can get through the filter and as it gets clogged with debris it can push out a little if the pressure gets too much. Backwards, there is no other relief and nearly all of the pressure is against the closed-side of the center of the filter and then, KABLAM!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 04/10/20 at 10:47:56

Bokobob wrote on 04/09/20 at 17:12:36:
More thanks to all.  
I hold the bike straight up when checking oil window (with telescoping mirror.)

I did the filter as per the explanation just provided but as said, when putting the filter back in after wiping out the cavity, it was difficult...

I had tire put on at Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki  Bike dealer on Franklin Blvd in Gastonia. (MS Motorsports)

Is the dealer Srinath mentioned on New Hope Rd in Gastonia?  Might it be Gaston MotorWerks instead?  (I don't deal with either of those two dealers, though I have nothing against them.)  

One day the bike will be all fixed up and running just right, but that day is not today...

Many thanks,   Smiley

Gaston motorcycle shop is on new hope road by the school on the road that cuts through cramer mountain.
They're a pop (Andy) and nephew (Peavey) shop. Really good, but very very old school shop and yard. Peavey just talks too much.

Old fashioned junkyard - where you can go through the yard looking for parts too. I got my dirt bike FE's to slap on my cheater chopper there.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:33:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › May have ruined engine.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.