Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Complete LED Conversion (Read 215 times)
JoTheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Complete LED Conversion
04/01/20 at 01:08:43

Hi all, I want to covert all lighting to LED but with very little electrical experience, I just wanted to check exactly what I will need. Please comment if I am wrong, but here is what I think I need...

4 x LED turn signals (I want to replace all turn signals), 1 x LED compatible 2-pin flasher relay (for said turn signals) , LED headlight bulb (keeping existing housing), LED tail light bulb (keeping existing housing).

Is there anything else I need? Thanks!

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Re: Complete LED Conversion
Reply #1 - 04/01/20 at 01:31:04

If you aim to replace ALL bulbs you also should convert the indicator lights for turn signals, neutral and high beam, all located in the speedo.

I also want to convert the entire bike to LED but finding E-approved LED lights for all position to make it road legal in Sweden turns out to be both problematic and expensive. Then there is the matter of reduced load on the regulator/rectifier that MAY have to be addressed. The jury is still out on this Wink

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 04/01/20 at 09:25:56

I used the LED H4 headlight bulb sold by ADV Monster. Only one I've found that will fit in a normal headlight bucket.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
JoTheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/01/20 at 12:17:33

Do you have a link to the specific bulb so I can see if there is the equivalent available in the UK? Thanks.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 04/01/20 at 19:33:44

IP Logged
JoTheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/02/20 at 11:28:11

Thanks Armen

Did you go LED for everything? if so, do you also have recommendations for the rest of the bulbs?

Ta x

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 04/02/20 at 20:29:43

Hi Jo,
None of my bike electrics are stock except the alternator and ignition. I'm using Rizoma LED turn signals, and a one piece tail/brake light.
On your bike, it's prob pretty easy to source 1156 and 1157 LED bulbs. On other bikes, I've just gone to the auto parts store or a department store and bought LED bulbs. You'll prob have to change the turn signal flasher.

IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/04/20 at 08:04:53

It's my understanding that putting resisters in line, sometime multiple resisters on same load, will help dissipate any access in the form of heat. That said resisters get HOT so location of resister is VERRY important. I've converted to all LED all new housings except headlight, but did put a led bulb in headlight. I also switched to lifePo 4 lithium ion battery witch as well doesn't need as much current or voltage to charge it. I put a led flasher relay with adjustable resistance knob on it and everything worked fine, at first, after wireing it all up and testing it with it pulling off the lithium battery it all worked great, once I started the bike and test lights while the bike was running things started not working correctly, hyper flashing, no flashing, dimming. I put inline resisters and all is working again. Also made some mods to get better air flow over R/R just incase, haven't tested it long term yet just a couple short rides then had some engine trouble so pulled motor out and working on it as we speak.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/04/20 at 17:39:14

My bike is all LED.  The turn signals work fine with the electronic flasher module, the headlight is currently a Cyclops in an 8" headlight (Virago 920).  My voltage regulator/rectifier is mounted to a steel plate that acts as the fender along the back frame rails.

I have ridden about 12,000 miles with this set up - no problems so far.  I have ridden in 95 degree summer weather regularly.  I tend to ride on 50 - 60 mph rides with the engine at 3,500 - 4,000 rpm.  Although I may ride all day long - there usually are stops every hour to see scenery or get something to drink. Most day ride are 100 miles - group rides down to TN/NC I sometimes rides 300 mile days.

Maybe if you rode at interstate speeds for long hours in hot weather you could overheat the system.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JoTheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/05/20 at 02:14:45

Thank you everyone for your replies, they are really helping. If you could include any links to parts you used for the LED conversion, I'd really appreciate it. That way I can find what I need here in the UK.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/05/20 at 07:21:05

Dave wrote on 04/04/20 at 17:39:14:
Maybe if you rode at interstate speeds for long hours in hot weather you could overheat the system.

No you would not. Now in the old days of say 2000 or earlier, LED's were not meant to be run longer than 16 hrs at a stretch. In fact I have a few led light panels I build inside cigar boxes with that kind of setup eons ago. It has a switch that lights up when off or on. After 15+ yrs of use nothing has blown out, the switch stays on whenever its plugged in. I've never unplugged it at this point in 4 yrs.
However the LED's of the newer generation do not have any problem running for days.
Also a headlight sees so much air that hits it, it will never run any warmer than ambient.
The electrical system makes most of its current at about 3K rpm. You run it at 3K and it will be the most voltage and current. Past that the system uses more for its spark and you get lower current output.
So I'd pretty much say your LED setup will simply work like a swiss watch pretty much forever.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 04/08/20 at 09:13:51

Armen wrote on 04/01/20 at 19:33:44:

Armen, Does this bulb use the same clip mount arrangement as the standard bulb? Is it just plug and play?
Did you have to modify anything to make it fit?
Thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 04/08/20 at 12:42:26

Standard H-4 clip arrangement.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 04/08/20 at 12:55:28

Thanks! I think I'm going to go ahead and get it...I'd thought about going to LED previously but the size of most of the units I looked at looked like modifications galore to the standard bucket...if this one plops in I'm golden...going to get an LED tail light too. Signals, I'm not to worried about.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
JoTheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/08/20 at 14:16:56

Bubba, If you're going for a tail light bulb that fits the stock unit, can you post the link to it please? I'd like to keep my original headlight and tail light units and upgrade to LED bulbs and then find complete replacement units for my turn signals.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 13:41:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Complete LED Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.