Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New member, just want to say Hello (Read 137 times)
poolroom15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New member, just want to say Hello
03/28/20 at 09:13:48

I joined here because this seemed like the best IMHO Suzuki LS650 forum I could find. After 50+ years of riden and wrenching motorcycles I chose this 2019 S40 as posibly my last bike because of light weight and heavy cool factor. So anyway again Hello.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: New member, just want to say Hello
Reply #1 - 03/28/20 at 10:45:32

Hi Poolroom15
Welcome to the lot,  I see you bought one of the last of the S40s.
These are simple bikes and there are a number of  mods to make.  
I think the first and foremost is the Raptor petcock mod.
And about 10K - 20k miles the cam chain tensioner upgrade.  

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 03/28/20 at 16:32:01

Welcome Poolroom15, Yep it's a great site. I started here as a complete newbie a couple of years ago when I bought my first bike (at age 48). I've since had a great time modifying, riding, maintaining, looking at, and talking about my bike!  Cool

Very friendly and helpful people here, you'll always find someone willing to answer questions or just have a good yak. And the combined knowledge on this site is nothing short of astounding.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #3 - 03/29/20 at 05:18:01

Poolroom15.   What kind of bikes have you had?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 03/29/20 at 06:52:54

Hey Poolroom!
Welcome!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 03/29/20 at 10:16:16

Welcome poolroom15

PR ?   Huh

I'm keeping mine for the same reasons :  
Light
Don't slow going uphills
Plenty of Style
Easy , Easy , Easy to ride and keep Running !
Very nice tire sizes .  I didn't even realize how nice till I bought a bike with 17" rear tire.  The  130/90-15" is very popular. or 140/90 also !

« Last Edit: 04/10/20 at 15:36:17 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #6 - 03/29/20 at 10:33:13

Welcome and it is neat to have gotten your bike in its final year of production....I am finding mine to be very satisfying.  I consider it among the top five of the 39 bikes I have had since 2008.  Not in any order:
BMW K75 flying brick; 2008 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 cc.  (low rpms at highway speeds); Honda Magna V4 750 - hotrod; Harley 1200 sportster equipped with Frankenstein brand conversion to trike; S40 thumper.

Bob
84 and still riding
2009 S40 650, and Rebel 250
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
poolroom15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/29/20 at 18:59:05

Matchless G11 wrote on 03/29/20 at 05:18:01:

It's a pretty long list I see if I can post it to my profile or somethind. Right now I have a Kawasaki Ninja 25 and a Honda PCX 125 besides the S40.

IP Logged
poolroom15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/29/20 at 19:17:03

Matchless G11 wrote on 03/28/20 at 10:45:32:
Hi Poolroom15
Welcome to the lot,  I see you bought one of the last of the S40s.
These are simple bikes and there are a number of  mods to make.  
I think the first and foremost is the Raptor petcock mod.
And about 10K - 20k miles the cam chain tensioner upgrade.  

Yeah I'm always late to the party but the up side is all the knowlade and know how out there for this bike. Does the petcock go bad internaly and leak into the intake thru the vac hose or external so I know what to look out for? I didn't hear about the cam tensioner issues until I had posetion of the bike. A buddy had one of these he bought with like 200 miles on it, used as a commuter put over 30k on it and all he ever did was change the oil using Super Tech 110W40. Never did the valve adjustment just put around 60 miles a day on it till he sold it. Anyway we shall see. I doubt this bike will have 10k on it before I can't ride anymore.

IP Logged
poolroom15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/20 at 19:19:26

Bokobob wrote on 03/29/20 at 10:33:13:
Welcome and it is neat to have gotten your bike in its final year of production....I am finding mine to be very satisfying.  I consider it among the top five of the 39 bikes I have had since 2008.  Not in any order:
BMW K75 flying brick; 2008 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 cc.  (low rpms at highway speeds); Honda Magna V4 750 - hotrod; Harley 1200 sportster equipped with Frankenstein brand conversion to trike;S40 thumper

kool

IP Logged
poolroom15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/29/20 at 19:20:20

good 2 know thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/29/20 at 19:24:42

poolroom15 wrote on 03/29/20 at 19:20:20:

good 2 know thanks

Looks a lot like a question from here

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/10/20 at 08:17:37

The stock vacuum actuated petcock just seems to quit working, or working sporadically. Mine just plain quit at +/- 1,000 miles. Switched it to "PRI" and rode home. The dealer was clueless. Came to this site, read up on the problem, ordered the Yamaha replacement (get the Yamaha OEM Raptor, not the ebay equivalent), made the easy change, and all has been sunshine and daisies ever since. Welcome aboard and Happy Trails!

IP Logged
Tyler37
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/10/20 at 10:05:34

new member also, came for a cam adjuster haha. 95 savage, 14,400 miles, about 2k of those are mine, bought it for $900.00       love  the cruiser styler compared to my old cb hondas, etc.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/11/20 at 03:42:33

poolroom15 wrote on 03/29/20 at 19:17:03:
Does the petcock go bad internaly and leak into the intake thru the vac hose or external so I know what to look out for?

The diaphragm goes bad in a couple of ways.....and your results may vary.  We believe the diaphragm is not resistant to ethanol, and depending on the fuel in your area the petcock can work for years, or it can fail relatively early.

One potential failure is the diaphragm becomes stiff, and it fails to flow fuel.  This can cause weird symptoms and often has folks looking for electrical problems, carb jetting or fuel tank venting problems.  The problems are often intermittent and the bike can run fine around town - but stop running at highway speeds.  The stiff diaphragm often works at low throttle settings and low speeds where the intake vacuum is high - but stops working when higher throttle settings are required and the intake vacuum drops.

The other failure is when the diaphragm starts leaking.  It runs fuel down the vacuum line and into the intake port.  The fuel then leaks past the intake valves and past the rings and it dilutes the crankcase oil and can even fill the crankcase with fuel.....and it can also fill the air box with fuel.  The symptoms of this are often a very sluggish engine as the crank tries to rotate submerged in a liquid fuel/oil mix.

A few members like Stewmills like the convenience of the stock petcock and have gotten away with using it permanently - but he keeps a rebuild kit with him in case he needs it, and it watching for the symptoms to show up.  Others of us have been riding since the 60's and we are used to shutting the petcock on/off as it is a habit, and we like the reliability of the manual Yamaha Raptor petcock.

The cam chain tensioner is just something to be aware of - it is only a problem if you ignore it for an extended period.  It appears short local rides with frequent heating/cooling cycles tends to cause the cam chain to stretch faster than long rides.  I would suggest opening it up around 10,000 miles and take a measurement, and this will give you a reference for how your riding style is affecting the cam chain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:47:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › New member, just want to say Hello

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.