Chain conversion kit. (Read 121 times)
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Chain conversion kit.
03/13/20 at 08:55:54

I'm currently looking for anyone that would have a chain conversion kit for sale. I've read from the other day on how to do it myself but was hoping I could find someone who already has something made a actually kit from ryca. Ryca no longer carries that kit. Thank you

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Chain conversion kit.
Reply #1 - 03/13/20 at 15:14:56

I can get a chain conversion kit for you if you have been unable to get one.  
Do you know what size chain you want ?  520 or 530 ?  There could be others but those are the two I am aware of.  What about size of front and rear sprockets ?  Do you have an idea ?
I am running 16-47 which is basically stock gearing.  I made the switch because I wanted to extend the swing arm a bit and needed a chain to do that.  I may just to go back to the belt or go back up to a 47 rear sprocket for a bit slower rpm's on the highway.  We shall see.

IP Logged
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Reply #2 - 03/13/20 at 20:22:13

I was hoping to do 17/43 for the gearing with a 530 chain for my everyday cruising. Id also like to see about getting a 14 tooth sprocket for the front as well, just to have it for when I want to mess around for a weekend or so. My plan is convert my 88 savage into a bobber. I'm not sure what route I want to go yet as far as keeping it the same length or stretching it 3" but either way I think a chain conversion will help with what ever way I decide to choose.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 03/14/20 at 16:21:45

I think Lancer's offer to put a kit together for use is a good one, Ryca 's set was a poor one , they used two even numbered sprockets which promotes more rapid wear, one sprocket should always have an odd number of teeth so that the chain changes position on every rotation, giving longer and even wear  to both the chain and sprockets (something they should have known) as a good all around ratio I would recommend  17/45 or 16/45  depending on if  you have room for 520 or 530 chain. . Either should increase your mpg by 2.5 to 3 , and not be noticeably slow your acceleration or top speed.  Each of these ratios are about 5% lower than stock  and running at the posted speed limit should not get you a ticket  ie ; 55is really/ 58,   65/68.5 , 70/73.5 etc. None of these should ever garner you a speeding ticket  . Your ratio of 17 /43  changes the speed o 65  on the stock speedo to an actual speed  of 71.8 mph , fairly close to attention law enforcement might  notice. It will also affect your acceleration and top speed ,both will be slower.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #4 - 03/14/20 at 17:23:24

batman wrote on 03/14/20 at 16:21:45:
one sprocket should always have an odd number of teeth so that the chain changes position on every rotation, giving longer and even wear  to both the chain and sprockets .

The ideal situation would be if the tooth count on each sprocket is a prime number. That reduces the chances of any particular link riding the same tooth on both sprockets in any given revolution, which will give more even wear of both the chain and the sprockets.

IP Logged
GearHead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Casper, WY
Reply #5 - 03/14/20 at 18:21:06

I'm definitely hoping lancer can help with a kit. My goals to get something a bit better than stock witch is why I thought the 17/43 would be a good fit. And the 14/43 (change the 17 to the 14 on the front) would be for a bit snappy bottom end. I'm rebuilding my engine with a stage 3 cam, 94mm high compression piston, and a 36mm Mikuni VM Carburetor so I'm not sure if that 14 tooth gear would be worth while. But thats where I'm stuck as far as what would be best. I dont want to jeopardised the integrity of the engine by messing with the gearing.  I'm completely open for suggestions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 10:37:17

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Chain conversion kit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.