Send Topic Print
R/R  ? (Read 196 times)
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

R/R  ?
03/10/20 at 19:15:45

I read on here that if u run a lifePo battery u should switch to IMHO mosfit R/R. I put an antigravity lithium battery in, so my question is do I need to change my R/R ? If so, what is a IMHO mosfit? Model?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: R/R  ?
Reply #1 - 03/10/20 at 19:38:43

In my humble opinion... you read to much.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 03/10/20 at 20:16:16

Get a digital voltmeter and see how high the bike charges. Suzukis run the highest charging voltage of any bike I've ever worked on. Sometimes as much as 15.5V. That high will blow up most lithium batteries.
Do the test, then shoot a note to AntiGravity and see what they say.
Or not.
Worst case scenario is the battery explodes and the bike catches fire.
Guess I'm a wimp.
I got mine (LiIo compatible R/R) from Ricks in NH.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 03/10/20 at 21:10:12

Mosfet - Its a type of transistor. Its more robust than the diode based R/R on most bikes. I need an exact circuit with parts etc etc which no one will provide (as its a trade secret, and if I found the circuit, I'll make these at home) to explain what each does exactly - but a rough number set looks like this -
The diode based R/R cuts off the voltage and sends it to the heat sink as heat. It may make 100 watts at 14.7V. Past that its all heat, and the heat sink will get hot and you can feel it easily in a few mins of running.
The mosfet based R/R can produce a 14.2V but produce 200 watts because it dumps a lot less of it as heat. You would feel this heat sink run a lot cooler after the same duration of running in the same ambient temps as above. As in, more current, slightly less voltage and a hell of a lot less heat.

TBH, its possible to construct a circuit with mosfets or diodes to do this really. I can replace the diodes with better and higher capacity etc etc diodes and get it to do the same thing too.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/11/20 at 17:56:14

I will check voltage. I've only had a chance for a couple short rides between fixing alot of issues here an there. So I'll keep my eye on alot of excess heat on battery. And think u siritha for the explanation I appreciate it.

IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/11/20 at 18:04:35

And Verslagen, I do read alot Smiley.  Every time I fix one thing then put the bike back together something else goes wrong or brakes or I become aware of the issue after the fact. So I'm hoping I'll be able to fix everything this go around and actually ride it, really ride it. So while I have it out I'm gonna fix the broken an striped out head bolts, and replace cam chain tensioner, if u have one for sale. And wanted to make sure there was nothing else I needed to do.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 03/11/20 at 20:12:37

At the risk of being dumped on ,let's look at the advantages of  what the battery you want to use at greater expense has to offer, It has more  power at startup ,but the stock lead/acid battery has more than enough also ,if the bike is tuned. It also holds it charge and my not be subject to freezing over winter in a cold climate ( not sure), but it has disadvantages as well, If it ever does need recharging it requires a special one at an added cost,  unlike a stock battery that could be jump started it can't be without risk, and it dies without notice. If the difference in weight seems to appeal to you .You should be aware that the difference to seemingly "gain" one hP would have to be 12-13 pounds. Some have gone to smaller batteries thinking to shed weight ,not realizing that the battery has two functions one, to start the bike, and the second is it's mass,  to absorb power surges ,the same thing you're think about when you consider using a Mosfet RR , again at added cost (about 1/3 more than stock -$150 on line)
     I would think about a 14AH sealed lead/acid or AGM battery as a better, and much less expensive choise.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/12/20 at 16:02:42

I already have it in the bike, and my other bike and multiple chargers. And it's been fine. They also have jump start tech, so you'll never have a dead. Its been great in my other bike so I put one in this bike, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna break somethen else. But thank u for the info. I'm just waiting for parts then the rebuild begins. Smiley

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/12/20 at 18:05:43

I've had an AG-801 in my bike for 3 years now.  All stock electronics.  It stays in my bike year round.  Sits in the bike all winter.  Never put a charger on it, just fire it up and go.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 03/13/20 at 07:22:15

Hey Berz,
Post some pics of your build!
Gung Ho Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/13/20 at 15:02:46

I don't know how to upload pic so here's a link.

https://ibb.co/9srw77v

IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/13/20 at 15:05:09

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 03/14/20 at 21:16:37

Berzerker, you already have the battery in your bike and NOW you come at us with questions? kind of bass ackwards don't you think? I guess. Verslagen  was right on the mark!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 03/15/20 at 07:29:32

Berzerker, what brand and model battery did you install? Many of the newer batteries have internal thermal and voltage protection. A FET based R/R is unnecessary for this application.

Also, requiring a FET based R/R s required if the battery chemistry is Li-CO. The battery you purchased is more than likely LiFePO4. This chemistry is used in automobile starting batteries as well as power sport starting batteries because it is thermally stable. The reason LiFePO4 is used in starting batteries is they have a high discharge current, are non-explosive, and have a long cycle life. The disadvantage is that this chemistry has a lower energy density than typical Li-Co cells.

A $150-$200 R/R is not necessary for a LiFePO4 battery.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/16/20 at 16:38:19

Thank u Gary, it is a lifePo4 battery. It's a antigravity a10 I believe.
And yes I put it in then asked the question and that is back ass words. I have one in my other bike and it's been great so I put one in this bike, then came across that thread and just wanted to make sure there wasn't something different in this bike that would make puting it in this bike a problem. Like the The head plug failure, if never seen another motor with a hole in the head that a rubber plug is supposed to go in an keep oil. Thank u for all your input it is appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R/R  ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.