Send Topic Print
Many bikers out today (Read 119 times)
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Many bikers out today
03/08/20 at 14:58:46

Here in North Carolina it is in the sixties today and very sunny....So I got on my S40 and took a very pleasant ride of close to 50 miles which is a lot for me...

This is the first longer ride I've taken on the 09 I bought recently and I really feel great about how the bike handles and provides plenty of power, especially versus the Honda Rebel 250 I have been using for over a year.  Seems to me the top gear is nice and tall and doesn't result in the engine sounding like a Mixmaster on "liquify" speed at 65 mph.

In about a month I'll put the Rebel 250 up for sale as I only need one bike.  

I also have an older Savage and will be putting in new clutch springs, a new speedo and cable and a new rear tire and put it on the market, too.  I'll wait for warmer weather to work on it as I plan to do the work myself.  

Seems to me the S40/Savage bikes are one of the best kept secrets in biking...They are really, really capable bikes.  

Smiley

Bob
84 and still riding
2009 S40 650, and Rebel 250
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Many bikers out today
Reply #1 - 03/21/20 at 01:17:17

Same up here. I'll wait until April to pay for insurance, 6 month plan will take me to October, then month to month.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 03/21/20 at 08:27:25

So yesterday here in Ocean, NJ, near Asbury Park it was 81 degrees and sunny late yesterday afternoon, how could you not go for a ride. Everything in the WUFLU RX post proved to be true.

IMG_5448.JPG
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 03/21/20 at 09:13:07

Bokobob

Seems to me the S40/Savage bikes are one of the best kept secrets in biking...They are really, really capable bikes.    

Truer words were never spoke !

Hay about that Clutch thing .   I've dealt with the same issue before.
Fact is :  
The plates don't really wear out.
Check this out for yourself.
Take all the plates out of the Clutch Pack, now see how small the inside of the empty pack will collapse to .
Now , measure the plates and do some math.   You'll find  about the same number.
So. this is what happens:
The Steel plats don't wear .
The Fiber plates don't wear much.
The Aluminum bottom inside the clutch pack does wear.
So
The problem is not the Springs , or Plates.  The problem is the pack won't close enough to pinch the plate-pack.
So , just add another STEEL PLATE (.063") to the Plate Pack.  About $6.80  I put mine on last , but it shouldn't really matter where its added its more of a total thickness thing .
Good luck when you get-a-round-to-it !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 03/21/20 at 17:37:13

SoC,
I have one just like that. Same colour and all. Love it! Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #5 - 03/26/20 at 13:55:28

The problem is not the Springs , or Plates.  The problem is the pack won't close enough to pinch the plate-pack.
So , just add another STEEL PLATE (.063") to the Plate Pack.  About $6.80  I put mine on last , but it shouldn't really matter where its added its more of a total thickness thing .
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Quoting a reply above...I'll give it a shot but need to wait for warmer weather....

Nice ride today although kinda cold...Should have worn warmer trousers

Lips Sealed

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/26/20 at 18:41:56

Got a little riding in today while playing with assorted carburetors; temp today reached 98 in our little corner of Oklahoma.
It was an all time record for the day and the month, I think the old record was set in 1908.
Yep, it was PRETTY warm.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 03/27/20 at 08:14:19

I rode the little Ninja to work today. Nearly no one on the roads, and no other bikes so far, but it was terribly foggy and misting this morning on my way in.

This is my first bike ride since late October when I met Dave up at Barber's. Since then, the bikes were stuck in the garage and winter and my house remodel took up all my play time, along with a month or so of downtime with my hand being sliced open down to the bone.  Hand feels good on the throttle and no issues managing the throttle or front brake lever.  Cool

ninja.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/27/20 at 08:29:52

We were up around 72 yesterday in KY.  Deb and I took a local ride, and it felt good!

The coming week doesn't promise anything nearly as warm or dry.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #9 - 03/27/20 at 09:40:45

Today it will get into the seventies...I already took an hour's ride on my "other" bike, a  Rebel 250 fitted with a Corbin seat...Very comfortable, but no zip to speak of.  I like to keep all the bikes running so I rotate them.

Tongue

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 03/27/20 at 13:29:51

FWIW, I did wear all my PPE riding today.

mcmask.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/27/20 at 15:02:08

It is supposed to hit 90 F here in Houston today. Near record high. I rode in to work today also and it was a really nice ride, cool with very little traffic.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 03/27/20 at 19:06:33

Marcia and I have had the V-7 Guzzi (Lucky) out for a ride both yesterday and today.   Today was over 80F.  just perfect for 35-45 mph back roads stuff.   With all the rain we have had , all the bottom land along the  rivers are flooded.   Moore county is hill country anyway and there are a lot of back roads.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/28/20 at 04:05:31

This is the time of year you need to be wary of the gravel that gets washed out onto the roads during the hard rains.

Yesterday I cleaned up 2 wheelbarrow loads of gravel that had washed out onto the road from the neighbors driveway.  It had been laying in the road for a week and he had not cleaned it up - we get a lot of bicycle and motorcycle riders on the road, and it needed to be cleaned up.  I also cleaned the leaves out of his culvert that were blocking the flow of water and causing the water to flow over his driveway.

He is a nice young man and takes care of his property - just doesn't seem to worry about his culvert or gravel as I had to do this last year as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:31:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Many bikers out today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.