Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Begginer rider few questions on basic things (Read 293 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Begginer rider few questions on basic things
Reply #15 - 03/05/20 at 16:19:03

armchairbiker wrote on 02/28/20 at 12:39:09:
..I'm not sure how serious they are...a distinct sound that can be described as sewing machine.

This is a serious problem on virtually all new S40's, a Harley muffler will sort it out. Regarding oil level, if the bike has been standing for some time then the correct oil level cold or hot, when the bike is centred, would be just barely to the top of the sight glass, a poofteenth over wouldn't matter. This is equivalent to doing the recommended warm up and wait method using the max fill line.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/06/20 at 11:29:50

I bleed some 0.5 litres of oil from the engine and on the sightglass it is just under the top line. The shifting improved greatly. It is almost feather light although I still somewhat struggle with finding neutral. Perhaps it just takes practice.

Clutch cable is replaced. When adjusting free play I noticed that the rod (the actuator on the clutch case) is on lower indicator mark (there are two). Does this mean the clutch is almost worn out?
I've read that you can buy a longer axle that fits on the clutch basket to extend its life. But is it complicated to replace?

Tocsik wrote on 03/05/20 at 15:58:02:
Check that through bolt for the head before digging too deep.  You'll see it up inside the exhaust outlet.  Put a small wrench on there and give it just a little pressure.  This stopped my oil seep without even needing to remove the nut, clean the threads and apply RTV.  But do that if simply tightening a little doesn't do the trick.

On the shifting issue, also check the rods that connect the lever to the engine case.  If anything  gets bent, it could cause shifting issues.

I think I understand now. It is the one on the left-forward side of the engine. I can see the head under one of the cooling fins. I will take care of it when I replace spark plug tomorrow.

I cleaned carburetor and it was mostly spotless. The previous owner did take some care of the bike. But he was a strong armed man because every once in a while I find stripped screws. I replaced some on the carb. Roll Eyes

I tried changing brake pads but there was also a stripped screw on the pin that holds pads in place. I will have to drill through it.  :'(

IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/10/20 at 09:55:19

Soooo, found some problems with the bike.

I was going to check on the clutch push rod. So i removed the clutch cover which was glued on with some kind of sealant.

Damaged clutch basket

Don't know how well you can see but there is some kind of improvised shim here keeping the tensioner scissor mechanism at place I don't know what the mechanism is for. Can't find it on any other pictures people posted online.

The tensioner is around 9mm out

One of the screws holding the case broke off But that is minor issue.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/10/20 at 10:26:20

armchairbiker wrote on 03/10/20 at 09:55:19:
Don't know how well you can see but there is some kind of improvised shim here keeping the tensioner scissor mechanism at place I don't know what the mechanism is for. Can't find it on any other pictures people posted online.

That's the german version of the extended adjuster mod.
I would guess the bolt is too long and that is why there's an odd shim.

I would replace the basket, we've seen one mod to the clutch assembly that shredded the basket on a high power savage.

As far as your slipping is concerned, might of been an adjustment.
The clutch lever must have freeplay.  As well as the lever on the case.  If there is no freeplay it will slip.  I generally choose the clutch throwout rod to have between 12 and 12.5mm sticking out of the clutch pack.

WWW   IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/10/20 at 10:53:22

The clutch lever is on the lower mark on the case. Two nuts on the new cable have to go all the way up the threaded rod to reach the lever and on the handlebar cable adjuster is also way out. Also when I engage first gear I hear rpm drop from standstill.

So I assumed that different push rod would place the lever between the marks and solve the issue.

That is when I opened the case.  Sad
So I will have to order new basket.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #20 - 03/10/20 at 13:11:29

The damage to the clutch basket and the cam chain tensioner mod are most likley related.( might be a good story there from someone ) Post a picture of the whole side with the cover off, we might spot something .

IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/10/20 at 13:34:54

I will take more pictures tomorrow.

There is also a visible impact on the side of the oil filter chamber and a scratch lower next to the basket. My guess is something snapped off and rotated few times around the case.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #22 - 03/10/20 at 15:10:46

Sounds like the tensioner plunger came out! Your lucky someone got it running again, most times they get tossed after that happens.

IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/16/20 at 07:50:41

Sorry. Had trouble finding time to work on the bike.

https://ibb.co/CQHmQV5

https://ibb.co/3M6SLMR

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 03/16/20 at 08:42:37

Can't help wondering how much vibration is caused by different bolts in the clutch..
At least put the two stock bolts opposite each other..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #25 - 03/16/20 at 08:48:05

The one non-stock bolt, the one towards the top of the case, appears to have wear marks. Is there sign of wear inside the case?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/16/20 at 11:47:11

I noticed the non original bolt but not the wear on the upper one. Seems very strange now. There are no scratch marks on that part of the cover.

I'll replace all of them together with the basket.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:24:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Begginer rider few questions on basic things

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.