Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I went to the Kawasaki demo days (Read 223 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
I went to the Kawasaki demo days
02/24/20 at 18:06:14

I went to the Kawasaki demo days here in Houston this past Saturday. I spent virtually the whole day there and rode 5 of their bikes, 3 of them twice. First of all I must confess they were all great.

Number 5 - Versys 650. I am 5'7" tall with 30" inseam. Even stretching my feet to the utmost tippy toes I could barely touch the ground. Once you get going the bike feels great, the engine pulls with tremendous power. The suspension feels good. But this was the only bike with which I had some trouble modulating the throttle and it was the only bike on which the brakes felt grabby, even though they were ABS brakes. All the bikes had ABS.

Number 4 - Z900RS. I could not quite flat foot this bike, but not nearly as bad as the Versys. The bike is beautiful, has an old style look and great balance. It also has a 4 cylinder engine that puts out in excess of 90 ponies and it seemed that at the slightest twist of the throttle the bike would take off. Superb acceleration. I had to be extremely careful on the turns. This bike takes the fourth position because I do not like 4 cylinder engines on a bike and because it is just too much horsepower for me.

Number 3 - W800. I could flat foot this bike but then the foot pegs would dig into the inside of my legs. I had to learn to slow down carefully and pull my feet forward of the pegs. This bike is beautiful and resembles a bonnie. It my have had the weakest engine but the acceleration was still substantial. The foot pegs issue and the price of this bike are the negatives.

The next 2 bike could easily change place with each other, but if forced to make a choice at this very moment, the following would be my choice. But if you ask me tomorrow I might reverse the order.

2. Z400. This bike fit me. I can flat foot it comfortably and it weighs just under 370 lbs. This bike is basically the Ninja 400 with softer suspension and a 2" higher handle bar. The engine and transmission are the same as the Ninja without any de-tuning. This bike is capable of 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds, has a top speed in excess of 100 mph, and is expected to give you around 50 mpg. This bike is incredibly easy to ride and just happens to be incredibly affordable. If this were a cruiser style or a retro look standard it would be my first choice.

1. Vulcan S. I think just about anybody can flat foot this bike as the seat is very low. The foot pegs are very forward position but I believe they can be adjusted some depending on your preference. The look is unique, cruiseresque I would say. Not my favorite look, but not the worst either. The engine is the same as used on the Versys 650 but detuned, or tuned for more low and mid range power basically meaning that it has a lower top end than the Versys. I did not check the top end on any bike, but I can tell you this bike accelerates almost as well as any of the other bikes, even the Z900rs did not leave me behind when coming out of a turn.

Having said all the above, the bike that most impressed me was the Z400 because that little engine is amazing, the bike is light and well balanced and the price is very reasonable.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: I went to the Kawasaki demo days
Reply #1 - 02/25/20 at 16:53:53

Great info Springer , thanks for the post.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 02/26/20 at 07:07:17

I refuse to go test ride a z400...because I know it will come home with me.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/26/20 at 08:06:58

Malcolm Smith had the W800 cafe for $7000, I had to keep walking and didn't notice the year.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/26/20 at 10:03:16

One of the dealerships in the area has some 2019 brand new Z400's for sale at $3,999.00. Yes, I have been tempted.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 02/26/20 at 20:51:27

Springman , that looks like the perfect "Commuter Machine"  Smiley

Just think of all the wear and tear it would save on the car .   You going to put a seat like this on the S-40 to ride the wife on ?

S40_Corbin_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #6 - 02/27/20 at 10:41:25

springman wrote on 02/24/20 at 18:06:14:
1. Vulcan S. I think just about anybody can flat foot this bike as the seat is very low. The foot pegs are very forward position but I believe they can be adjusted some depending on your preference. The look is unique, cruiseresque I would say. Not my favorite look, but not the worst either. The engine is the same as used on the Versys 650 but detuned, or tuned for more low and mid range power basically meaning that it has a lower top end than the Versys. I did not check the top end on any bike, but I can tell you this bike accelerates almost as well as any of the other bikes, even the Z900rs did not leave me behind when coming out of a turn.

Of all of them, the Vulcan S was the only one that I saw that said "test drive me" to me. The cool thing about it is if you buy from an authorized Kawa dealer, they can do Ergo-Fit for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeQPzuPZ7ho which probably eliminates the peg issue Springman had.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/27/20 at 15:05:21

MM, that seat looks comfortable. My wife has absolutely no desire to get on a bike though so I am fine to continue using the Airhawk cushion.

sjaskow - Yes, I am aware that the dealers are able to adjust the Vulcan S seating and pegs to fit the individual rider. It would be cool to do just that.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 02/27/20 at 21:44:08

Curious, for some time the W800 and its predecessor the W650,  didn't seem to be available in the US. They were available in little old NZ. Now both versions of the W800 would seem to be available in the US, but only the Cafe version here.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 02/28/20 at 08:35:22

Wow Springman , that $4k price tag sure makes ya look twice don't it ?   I'm thinking the 400cc ninja motor will keep up with almost anything on the road too.   Smiley

I've rode next to Dave's Ninja 250 a time or two ... and Stew's also , they keep-up just fine .  

Don't know if you remember Old-Rider from North Florida , but he had a Ninja 300 painted with an Air-Force theme.   Anyway I know of one time when he rode the 300 from Florida to the Dragon - then rode with us the next day -then rode back to Florida the next day.   He said the 300 ninja would run along at 80mph all day long getting 70 mpg while doing it.  Seams like it had a factory faring on it too ?    Cool

That 400cc fun bike makes a lot more sense that a 900 lb - 1700cc monster machine that would get ya killed first time ya lost traction.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #10 - 02/28/20 at 16:24:30

jcstokes wrote on 02/27/20 at 21:44:08:
Curious, for some time the W800 and its predecessor the W650,  didn't seem to be available in the US. They were available in little old NZ. Now both versions of the W800 would seem to be available in the US, but only the Cafe version here.

We did get the W650 for a couple? of years. They beat the Triumph Bonnie to our shore. But sadly  few were sold.

When I was in Japan I saw a W400, pretty cool.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 02/28/20 at 16:52:59

Spring man , How was that Z400 at 70mph , smooth or buzzy? Would you ride it on a real long trip say coast to coast ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 02/28/20 at 17:18:58

Ruttly, we did not do any highway driving so no sustained highway speeds. Kawasaki is going to have another demo day at a different dealership not tomorrow, but the following weekend. I am going to try to make it to that one in hopes that we will get on the highway. However, based on the hard accelerations to 60 or so I am guessing the bike can handle 70 mph without being buzzy.

I would ride it on a long ride. I actually would want to adapt it as much as possible for touring. The only hassle would be cleaning and oiling the chain every 500-700 miles.

Sorry, made a mistake. Next demo day in the general area is april 4.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 02/29/20 at 04:22:06

Put an o or x ring chain on it (probably already has an o-ring chain). And you only need to keep it clean. I do not lube any of my chains. Chain technology has come a long way.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 02/29/20 at 21:15:13

Springman , that GS500 that I sold last spring has 1700 miles on it since I sold it and the guy still hasn't brought it back for his free chain adjustment !   I put a blue "O-Ring" chain on it with new sprockets last year and they looked good !  Cool
That being said ...
I'm a little iffy on going back to a chain too.    I'm doing fine with my shaft-drive Guzzi's , but they require a touch of grease with every tire change !  Roll Eyes   They both weigh a little over 400 lbs.each , and get about 55-60 mpg if given a chance to be good !  Grin

I still think $4K for a 400cc Kawasaki would be close to stealing it !  even after taxes were added !   Smiley

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/28/24 at 05:25:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › I went to the Kawasaki demo days

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.