Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Shifter Peg Replace (Read 142 times)
d3adrock

New Shifter Peg Replace
02/24/20 at 07:20:24

Hi, the rubber on my shifter peg has fallen off. The peg doesnt seem to unscew. Does anyone know where or if I can replace the rubber, or  a method to replace the peg? Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Shifter Peg Replace
Reply #1 - 02/24/20 at 07:26:44

Just buy a new rubber and push it on.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 02/24/20 at 07:30:53

LOTS of electrical tape or properly sized piece of rubber fuel hose lubed up and pushed on  Wink

They sell them new on fleabay. It seems most are made in China on account of the volume of scooters there.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 02/24/20 at 12:08:29

Dealer  
 GEAR SHIFTING
             Rubber /Cover -(depends on year)
            stock #( same every year)
              25525-20C00  $3.81

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #4 - 02/24/20 at 12:54:31

Thanks! Ordered a new one. I wish suzuki made it so you could unscrew them. Anyone know of any upgrades to prevent my boots from getting scuffed?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/24/20 at 19:27:14

Always scuffs my boots
My flip flops
Notsomuch

If you care About the slightly darkened depression on your left boot, you're wearing prissy boots.
Red Wings..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #6 - 02/24/20 at 19:38:58

Im partial to corcorans or chippewa myself. It's not about the scuff so much as it is about being afraid it will wear through eventually. But it hassnt happened yet. The other thing is I wouldnt mind having a bit larger surface to really slam into gear.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/24/20 at 19:44:25

Easy
Take your boot to a shop
Have a bit of leather put on up top..
But I've never heard of one wearing through..
Doesn't take Power to shift up
Properly timed
Quick lifts

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/24/20 at 19:46:25

But it does take a bit of skill to hit the straps on my flip flop just right.   Wink

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 02/24/20 at 20:09:29

d3adrock wrote on 02/24/20 at 12:54:31:
Thanks! Ordered a new one. I wish suzuki made it so you could unscrew them. Anyone know of any upgrades to prevent my boots from getting scuffed?

The ones off fleabay are usually softer foam rubber, but they probably wear out faster. You can probably buy 10 year's worth for $3.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 02/24/20 at 20:35:34

d3adrock.  You don't slam or stomp on the shifter ! It will just end up bending the rod between the pedal and the short shift arm going into the tranny , after that the rod will flex and you wont be able to hit all the gears because of the limited travel.  Just apply a steady pressure to the lever and when the transmission shafts reach the same speed you'll feel the lever gently pop into the next gear. Ruff treatment is a NO NO.
Avoid shifting into neutral at stops, the tranny shafts have to be turning to allow the gears to mesh. At stops leave the bike in first gear and hold the clutch in until you're ready to proceed.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #11 - 02/24/20 at 21:20:32

Thanks for the advice! As a new rider I can use all the advice I can get. Would it be possible to replace the rod with something sturdier?

About neutral at stops. I usually do that out of habit, except when i have to use both my hands, like to scratch my nose or take off my gloves ect. But just out of curiousity, why is it better? This is news to me. Thanks!

PS thanks everyone for your responses, everyone has been so helpful on this forum.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 02/24/20 at 22:04:36

it's better not to stomp on it, cause if you don't bend the rod, you bust something inside.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 02/25/20 at 07:55:51

d3adrock wrote on 02/24/20 at 21:20:32:
About neutral at stops. I usually do that out of habit, except when i have to use both my hands, like to scratch my nose or take off my gloves ect. But just out of curiousity, why is it better? This is news to me.

In 1st gear you can quickly drive away if danger is headed towards you, or you see a car in the rearview that may be about to rear-end you. ALWAYS have an escape plan, whether in moving traffic or at a stop. Treat every intersection as if someone is speeding through a red light (ALWAYS slow down and look both ways), treat every car as if they are about to pull out in front of you (they will even stare you in the eyes and still pull out), treat every driveway or parking lot entrance as if someone is about to pull out, and don't wear music in your ears.  Hearing danger rolling up on you can save your life!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #14 - 02/25/20 at 08:00:07

Thanks for the safety advice, will do. Living in the middle of chicago ive learned a thing or two about the tendencies of car drivers.

I was asking more so mechanically why is it better?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 18:27:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Shifter Peg Replace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.