Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which bearings to replace inside engine? (Read 51 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Which bearings to replace inside engine?
02/24/20 at 00:07:47

I have a knocking/pinging from my engine and I think I have found someone with the skill needed to open up the engine, measure what needs to be done and re-assemble it. I know that the cam chain need replacing - can I re-use the original cam chain tensioner?

When we have the engine apart. Is there anything that we should do/replace even if it's not worn?

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Which bearings to replace inside engine?
Reply #1 - 02/24/20 at 00:26:00

Im sure someone has a list of rebuild items.  I just wanted to alert you that it can add up real quick.  I usually allow about $1000 bucks for an engine rebuild.  It just seems to get close to that for bearings, seals, gaskets, piston, replacement gears, etc. Sometimes less sometimes a bit more depending on what you find inside.

If you arent wanting that kind of investment you may want to just find the problem and fix that.  If your ready and willing to fork that out then go for it, your bike will be happy afterwards.

WWW   IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #2 - 02/24/20 at 00:40:43

According to the Clymer manual, the knocking is likely the "main bearings" so I guess I should replace them. Then I noticed a needle bearing that connects to the piston rod. It feels like that bearing also handles a lot of abuse so maybe I should replace that one as well?

Then there are two identical bearings on the crank balancer. Are those prone to wear as well?

My bike has 20.000 miles on the odometer but a lot of parts show wear that indicated that the true miles are a lot more so I'ts difficult for me to read manuals and decide what parts to replace since I can not trust the odometer.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/1994-ls650p-savage-motorc...

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/1994-ls650p-savage-motorc...

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 02/24/20 at 01:18:03

You just posted photos of your chain tensioner, which is falling apart.  That loose chain makes a lot of noise.  Why don't you tidy up the chain and tensioner, get those components squared away.  Then see if your noise is gone.

That needle bearing you describe is your rod bearing.  That's a really difficult part to replace.  It requires disassembly of the three-piece crank.  It's pressed together.  It takes a very skilled machinist to reassemble and true.  

You can do a quick & dirty check on the rod bearing (and main bearings too) when you have the cam chain out for replacement.  You can see the right main bearing when you remove the cam chain sprocket on the crankshaft.  Inspect it.  When the cam chain is removed, rotate the engine by hand.  If the rod bearing is bad you will hear it clunk as it changes direction at top center and bottom center.  Listen for ugly noises from the other rotating parts as you turn it by hand.  

Tearing apart your crankcase is complicated and expensive.  I would see if I could eliminate the easy stuff first before digging into the crankcase.  Fix your timing chain and verify that your flywheel is properly tightened.  Once you know that stuff is correct, and if the noise is still there, then maybe consider tearing into the crankcase.

You can see from this picture that the right hand main bearing can be visually inspected without tearing the whole engine apart.

It will be a good opportunity to learn.  

Three_splines_retarded_equals_5_degrees_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #4 - 02/24/20 at 02:38:10

Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the left hand engine cover as well to be able to inspect flywheel nut. The flywheel i located behind the stator (?) (as shown in the attached picture) right? I bought a flywheel remover and just checked by hand that the threads are correct and they are so I think I have the tools necessary to remove that stator that sits in front of the flywheel and I also have a large socket that is supposed to be the correct dimension for the flywheel nut but I can not verify that before i get the thing in front of it away. As I understand that part is sensitive to impact end very expensive to replace and almost impossible to find so I will have to be extremely careful when removing it.

(Yes I know I have put the washer on the wrong pin so many before me. When I got the cover away the washer as well as dowel pin fell on the floor)

stator.png
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #5 - 02/24/20 at 03:15:37

I would like to advise you not to buy the bearings at https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/suzuki-parts/1994-ls650p-savage-motorc ...

Buying them there is much too expensive. The ball bearing 20x47x14 is a widely used ball bearing and costs an average of less than 3 dollars!!!!
https://www.lagerwereld.nl/search?search=&within=20&outside=47&width=14&short...

And if you want to replace the big end bearing you can also buy loose seams that saves you 25 dollars.

The only thing you should pay attention to when buying brand bearings is, that you buy them from official dealers, because there is a lot of imitation.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #6 - 02/24/20 at 04:06:28

You are correct and I quickly found SKF and similar brand name bearing with the correct dimensions so I will probably only buy parts that are not standard from motorcycleparts. The two big bearings seem to be 40x80x18 and 35x72x17 but there are a few different types so I will have to figure out which one is the correct type for the Savage.

40x80x18_001.GIF
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/24/20 at 05:27:01

Start with the cheap and easy likely culprit.
Cam chain tensioner.
Then see how it acts.
Sure, it
Could have a bad bearing
It Could have a loose flywheel
But,
The cam chain tensioner is a known noise maker
And it seems yours is in pretty shabby shape.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which bearings to replace inside engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.