Send Topic Print
Pics of Extended Forks (Read 366 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Pics of Extended Forks
Reply #15 - 02/25/20 at 22:49:35

Look in the tech section for the companion photo cd. There are a couple of bike there with extended forks.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #16 - 02/26/20 at 07:41:21

Thanks again. This was the only one I could find. Any idea how much over these are?

1999_JKing_1.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 02/26/20 at 08:28:46

Fast 650 wrote on 02/22/20 at 13:25:14:
You cut out the downtube about where the arrows are, and cut partway through the top of the two frame rails just past the seat mount. Those two cuts will allow the backbone to bend upward, closing the gap and raising the neck at the same time. Weld in a new longer downtube and weld up the two cuts you made and you are done.

This procedure was in the old days called a "Swedish rake".
However if you sliced it at the neck and added 2" to the top, 4" to the bottom you will be able to just fit a dirt bike front end - 4" rake and 12-14" longer front end with better handling if you run the axle trailing (flipping fork legs left to right will do that).

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #18 - 02/26/20 at 09:55:46

-
From long ago and far away - mostly raked trees with a few modified necks. Well, I guess one's a modified chest.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #19 - 02/26/20 at 10:54:08

A forum member (don't recall who it was now) had this one a few years back.

4inch_over_no_rake.jpg
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #20 - 02/26/20 at 10:54:45

And this one.

6_inch_over.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 02/26/20 at 12:34:57

One of those frame cut jobs of 2" on top and 4" on the bottom was in my hood, in Statesville NC too if I recall.

TBH, in those cases - where you cut the frame at the neck,  the stock style triples have to go along with the stock forks, cos at that point, you have the world at your feet. Fit a dirt bike front end, upside down if you prefer, 21" wheel and trailing axle (flip legs left to right) and you'd love its end result.
Here is mine done that way. But this was with a 9 degree raked set of triples. Not a cut frame.

Sorry pics in my other computer, will post in a bit.

Cool.
Srinath.

cheater_chopper3_001.jpg
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #22 - 02/26/20 at 16:32:49

Why would a person do that to a perfectly good motorcycle??? :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 02/26/20 at 17:05:06

norm92de wrote on 02/26/20 at 16:32:49:
Why would a person do that to a perfectly good motorcycle??? :'(

Whaaaaa ... no I did nothing to no perfectly good motorcycle, I bought this one with a busted set of forks, then fabbed up a 9 degree raked triple set and machined the fork spacing and diameter to fit a dirt bike FE (KX 125 from 1989 if I recall) and fitted all the FE parts onto it.
AKA a chopperguys kit with a KX125 FE fork dia and spacing.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #24 - 02/26/20 at 17:28:58

I can understand the work and skill involved. However, our bike has far more rake that it needs.

Style over substance! I rest my case. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #25 - 02/27/20 at 03:56:27

-
Style over substance/form over function. I would argue many of us ascribe to that priority. Who of us chose our partners purely on the basis of function. Form certainly played a significant role in the choice of who I married. And yet, she's got some wonderful substance accompanying that form.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 02/27/20 at 05:07:17

Ok there is the element of style, but a lot of mods are about style while improving function. This savage I got with a broken fork. It would have been simpler to slap on the exact same forks and let it be. But, I had to machine up triples with the rake - well for looks, however I ended up with a bike that didn't have that heavy feeling front end. I honestly urge you to find a bike that was raked with a dirt bike fork set where the axle is set trailing the fork legs and has a 21" aluminum front wheel and try and see if you can ride it. The lower and slower rotating mass of the lighter front wheel, the longer but stiffer and fatter fork legs, the drag bars I fitted off a Harley, and the most important aspect - reduction in trail make it far easier to ride than a stock savage.

I also fit GS500's with katana 600 forks, twin disk and fatter forks make it handle far far better while wearing out brakes at a much lower rate and providing far better braking. A GS does have phenomenal brakes, so its not a big deal there, but the static pad in the GS wears out at 3X the rate of the other one, katana 600's have Dual opposed pistons. So they were evenly and slower.

I turned an SCR 950 Yamaha back into the bike it started out as - a Yamaha bolt 950. The SCR was too hard, too heavy, too tall, too slippery and too grabby and it can only cover 3 of those 5 flaws. Then I fit café bars on it, narrower and it improved my top speed from 109 to about 119 indicated, but more than that. I am not feeling like a sail any more at any speed.

A lot of mods when done right give you the style you want and improve some aspect of the bike.

PS: I am planning a café out of one of these savages I got lying about, and it will not have the savage front end, it will be de-raked de-offsetted, have a 17" or 16" wheel gauges that go on the triple - likely from a GS500 or one of those $40 hockey puck style ones off ebay, a functioning tach and will handle like a GS500. Not an overloaded wheelbarrow that the savage in its stock form does. Form and function as well as easy to find high performance tires and true café look and feel.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #27 - 02/27/20 at 07:29:14

I also disagree with the assesment that more rake, or in some cases style is going against function. Sometimes in the extremes perhaps a 50 degree 36 inch extended front end would be. But some people enjoy that type of geometry for the type of riding they do. Otherwise why wouldnt we all just ride the latest sport bikes? Im doing every performance mod I can think of on the savage, and me to me at least, the geometry suits my riding style.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #28 - 02/27/20 at 08:05:38

The savage forks are IMHO an abomination visited upon the biking world. There was a 1000 ways to have made it better, and that is with parts they already make that are literally same cost and 1 fewer part, as in it would be effectively cheaper to make the savage.

So, intruder 800 has a 21" front wheel, put that onto savage. It rotates 30-40% slower for any speed, easier to change direction.

Put a shorter offset triple set out of a katana or GS500. Or an older gs450 which was made in 1985 when they made the savage.
The tank off a GS450 would have saved them a few 1000 atleast in R&D not to mention manufacturing.

Nearly the same wheel base, nearly the same stance and handling that makes sense. With existing parts and cheaper to design and make. The speedometer in tank idea is what derailed the rideability of the savage.

They spend more $$$ to make it less enjoyable  Angry

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #29 - 02/27/20 at 08:35:58

Not entirely sure I follow you. If they had used a gs450 tank woulding it totally change the look the bike? I dont particularly understand how having the speedo in the tank is what did that. Also are not the katana and gs450 sport bikes? Wouldnt that also have changed the stance and look of the bike. Just from some quick googling they dont look to be particularly attractive tripple trees compared to whats on the savage.

A 21 inch wheel might have been nice, although made the front a bit large looking. I'd be interested in seeing somone who's modded their front to a 21" wheel. I wish theyd gone 16 in back and 21 in front.

Don't misunderstand im not trying to defend suzuki, i'd just like to understand what youre saying about why the stock front is so awful. I think their spring setup is pretty bad which is why im putting goldtechs in them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 22:27:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pics of Extended Forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.