Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hayden Krank case breather plus: comments please (Read 166 times)
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hayden Krank case breather plus: comments please
02/19/20 at 20:26:35

I am interested to find out if anyone has used this product? it is supposed to prevent air from being sucked into the crankcase but lets it out. it creates a vaccum in the cylinder while it travels from to TDC and let air out as the piston travels downward. i called the company and they say it is compatable with any 4 stroke engine, even a sigle cylinder thumper like our ls650. please let me know if you have used one and how it worked out. thanks

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Hayden Krank case breather plus: comments plea
Reply #1 - 02/19/20 at 23:17:40

This lengthy post is right under your nose.  If you digest the whole thing you will see I took a stab at the KrankVent.  I even went so far as to instrument the crankcase and drive it around.  I really haven't finished testing the device.  I also modified the KarnkVent so any tests I have done to this point aren't a fair evaluation.  But there's good info in the post regarding the Hayden device and also the LS650 vent system.

When I had the crankcase set up with a vacuum gage, I could see a very small vacuum, maybe 1 to 2 "Hg,  at low load (like cruising on surface streets).  But as I amped up the throttle the vacuum turned into a small pressure, maybe 1 to 2 psi.  Then the gage broke.  There's just too much vibration through the handlebars to expect a cheap gage to survive.  Really need a good liquid-filled instrument to test at high power & rpm.  The Hayden device seems to have merit, but I haven't been able to finish testing.

Review the old post "Breather Blues" and tell us what you think.  Don't get discouraged by all the banter back & forth toward the end.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1570415428

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 02/19/20 at 23:35:02

They told you it would work , ( why wouldn't they?) yet the web site shows no reviews or questions ?  It keeps a proper amount of vacuum in the crank case ? How much is that? They don't say(or don't know). They claim 6-7 more hp ,if that was true we would all have one by now. while race cars are running vacuum PUMPS , and gaining 20-30 hp on V8's the vacuum level has to be between 8 and 15 " to function, and above 15 can starve the piston area of oil. I am doubtful their device could be able to draw anything near 8"of vacuum needed to even begin to work. Call them again and see if they have a return policy if it doesn't work.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 02/20/20 at 06:42:10

FWIW, BMW started using a reed valve crank vent in 1970. HD has used such a system for decades. Before that, the common practice was either a timed vent or simply vent to atmosphere.
I've installed PCV valves on a few bikes. Trouble is, they want to be run vertical. Someone pointed out to me that the valve from a power brake booster works, and doesn't care if it is sideways.
If you don't want to spend the $100 on the sexy crank vent, go to an auto parts store and try the power brake booster valve. May not be as sexy, but it'll show you if the idea is valid.
DBM's post was most excellent. Anyone with even a moderate understanding of how an engine works can see this is a good move.
Pretty much universal that everyone says running WFO for a while guzzles oil. DBM got his down to minuscule oil consumption with the valve. Gotta tell you something.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #4 - 02/20/20 at 11:35:53

batman wrote on 02/19/20 at 23:35:02:
They claim 6-7 more hp ,if that was true we would all have one by now.

Are you sure that you read that right? Last time I looked the website said 2% to 8%, which works out to be just a .6 to 2.4 HP increase. And I think that is being optimistic. A 6 hp gain would be a 20% increase unless they tested it on a 300 hp Savage.  Smiley

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 02/20/20 at 17:49:30

I may have misread it ,but these were first produced for use on HD's ,now they're claiming they work on any four stroke , I've seen them on sale/close out ,on (RevZella )for about $12.00 cheaper ,so I guess their not flying of the shelves.
    Yes they claim 6-7 hp gains on an HD. I didn't see anything about testing.Did you see what DBM had to do just to get it to work.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 02/20/20 at 23:11:02

"Did you see what DBM had to do just to get it to work. "

Actually, the modifications I performed on the KrankVent were based on my prior observations, and also observations I made on stock Harley Davidson umbrella valves.  I believe I made it clear that those mods may have screwed the thing up.  Sometimes I get the urge to try stuff.  I didn't modify it "just to get it to work".  I fiddled with it before I even tried it.  The product, as delivered, might have been better left as-is.  

Any improvement from this device will probably be confined to part throttle operation, and will most likely be in the form of a bit better torque and fuel economy.  It felt a bit better but that's seat-o-da-pants.  Instrumenting the crankcase with a proper gage will tell the story.  I have a liquid-filled compound gage on the way.  Then all I will need is an operational engine to do a proper test.

I think the device has potential.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 02/21/20 at 07:59:01

DBM ,I'm all for potential , sitting on my desk right now is my CV carb ,probably the only one on the planet with a UFO type conversion.

« Last Edit: 02/21/20 at 11:28:45 by batman »  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 02/21/20 at 11:06:55

Well, don't just sit there staring at the carb.  Take some pictures and share with the rest of us.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/21/20 at 11:18:01

I''m not sure it's going to work yet ,I've got to mount  , jet and and test it ,the garage isn't heated ,kind of hard to work when outside temp is 13F.but I'll get back to the site with results.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/21/20 at 13:27:55

Thanks for all the good information everyone! I am running a 97 with k&n can filter 90ed out the side (ditched stock air box left crank breather hose attached to abandoned box for time being so its open no filter)raptor petcock, mikuni vm36, tourque wing, dial a jet, ufo, 94mm wisco, stage3 cam, polished head, mac header (1.7" id) and reverse cone exhaust. actually installing u.f.o. now, and going to dyno her in a few weeks to try some different exhausts and other tuning tweaks. anyway, after I have her dialed in all "perfect" im taking her home and putting on the Hayden Krank breather, followed by a catch can, then a k&n crank breather filter. I will then do some more dyno runs and compare. i will post what i find on this thread. I am Interested to see the difference it makes. If the catch can works well enough, i may go hyden krank vent, catch can, back to intake for more vaccum. time will tell.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 02/21/20 at 15:47:30

Watch your oil if you do the crank vent to catch can to intake setup, it can work better than intended. That was why DBM went with the catch can vented to the outside on his. The low pressure in the airbox was sucking oil out of the engine until he did that.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/21/20 at 16:49:12

Roger that.

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #13 - 02/22/20 at 13:00:31

So does this thing work or not?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #14 - 02/22/20 at 13:29:52

Depends on your definition of work. It will improve throttle response and mpg since you aren't fighting internal crankcase pressure. But as for big horsepower gains, you wont gain much there. At best you are looking at around 8% gain, and more likely at the low side of around 2%.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:15:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hayden Krank case breather plus: comments please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.