Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Help with Spring Retainers (Read 117 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Need Help with Spring Retainers
02/16/20 at 21:08:26

I am hoping that some of you have a bunch of old valve spring retainers lying around.  If you could do a close-up visual inspection it would be a big help.  Or if your engine is handy and easy to access, if you could take a peek through the valve covers.  I would really appreciate your help.

I was getting ready to start reassembling my engine and did a close visual inspection of my valve spring retainers.  These retainers were brand new about 1000 miles ago.  I did not modify them.  They were installed with high performance RD valve springs.  From a few feet away they looked pristine, but when I got the old eyeballs a little closer I noticed what appeared to be fretting.

Cracked_Retainer_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Need Help with Spring Retainers
Reply #1 - 02/16/20 at 21:10:40

Have any of you seen this condition before?  If you get right down close to the retainer it looks much worse, and at 10X magnification its downright scary.

Cracked_Retainer_5_4.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 02/16/20 at 21:14:00

The retainers look pretty funky, like they could possibly be sintered metal.  Anyone know how to tell if an item is manufactured from sintered metal?  Awhile back I machined four of these things and they behaved like case hardened material.  The surface seemed hard and crusty but once I broke through the case it was very easy to cut.

I have other retainers that do not have the weird fretting appearance.  This one is from a used head I bought on eBay, year & mileage unknown.  It looks rough and porous, but it doesn't have the fretted look.

Used_Retainer_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 02/16/20 at 21:17:21

This one is from the HammerHead.  That thing experienced a really bad failure.  The FastMan said it was run out of oil.  The engine got so hot that the fire ring on the head gasket sunk into the aluminum sealing surface.  The valve and retainer got so hot that the retainer is permanently discolored.  It does not have the weird fretting/cracking condition.

HammerHead_Retainer_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 02/16/20 at 21:25:21

I figured I could get the reassembly back on track by using the stock retainers that are on my box-stock head.  That head only has a little over 3000 miles on it.  I pulled it down and took a look, same weird fretted appearance.

If you have access to some used retainers (or new ones), please take a close look at them and LMK if they look similar to the photos I have posted here.  I'm dead in the water (DIW) until I can come up with a solution.  I guess it's possible the retainers looked like this when they were new, but I think I would have noticed.  I'm getting old and clearly not as sharp as I once was.

Thanks, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/24/20 at 17:36:16

Top - exhaust retainers on left.

IMG_4939.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/24/20 at 17:36:53

Bottom - exhaust retainers on left.

IMG_4940.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 04/23/20 at 17:33:24

Thanks Dave.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I just saw your post.

I blew up your photos and I can't see the same defects I have in my retainers.  There are a few areas that have inklings of the same sort of defect, but nothing nearly as severe as the stuff I found in mine.  Here is what I believe is your worst retainer blown up.

Daves_Retainers_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 04/23/20 at 17:42:33

I ordered and received a set of new retainers.  It took a while, they were on back order.  I see identical defects on the brand new, never used retainers.  

I have to assume this is a normal condition, but it certainly isn't something I want to run in a performance application.  I have no idea how Suzuki makes these things, but these craters and divots are simply cracks waiting to propagate and fail.  I'm glad I found a way to install the RD titanium retainers.

One thing seems to be consistent, older stock retainers don't have the defects.  The defects seem to be confined to newer retainers.  Something changed in their manufacturing process.

Here's a shot of a brand-new, never-used retainer.  Right out of the OEM plastic bag.

New_Retainer_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 04/23/20 at 22:08:57

Have you cut one in half to expose the cross sectional area to see if there are noticeable manufacturing stress marks on the inside of kthe metal ?
Or would that even show after cutting ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 04/24/20 at 11:44:31

That is something I have been contemplating.  I would slice it in half, then polish the cross section.  That will remove any smeared metal.  Best I could do then is examine at 10X. One of these days when I feel real energetic I will give it a try.  Need to pick up some quality hacksaw blades.

I believe the correct way to do it is to polish and then etch with acid.  I suppose a little research is on order.  If I ever do it I will update this post.

You gotta admit, those are some butt-ugly defects.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/24/20 at 11:47:34

If you need help with that, I got a guy at work that does that.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 04/26/20 at 02:09:48

Hey Versy, what's the back story on your guy?  Is he a metallurgist or materials engineer?  Does he do the cut or should I cut it myself before sending?  I really would like to learn more about these stock retainers.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/26/20 at 07:31:46

Not a metallurgist or materials engineer, but we section welds daily for qualifying welders and processes.
And we have what we need to cut and polish.
If you have an idea where you want it cut, mark it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/26/20 at 08:12:42

Ive heard
Don't fret about it. The only fret I ever knew of was on a guitar. NOW I know what
fretting is, and why its inadvisable to do it.
But, in a harsh enough environment, fretting might be unavoidable, unless harder materials get involoved,,
Or what? What solutions exist to solve that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Help with Spring Retainers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.