Meltdown (Read 213 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Meltdown
Reply #15 - 02/08/20 at 20:45:33

The cylinder looks OK.  I think I can probably clean it up with a rigid hone.  It will be too loose for a stock cast piston, but I think I could keep it to about .0030” to .0035” clearance with a forged Wiseco.  That would be OK.  I would have to machine the pop-top off the Wiseco.  It’s already 52 grams lighter than a stock piston so I think I will forgo that mod.  It’s probably a good candidate for an overbore, but it’s certainly not ready for the trash bin.
« Last Edit: 02/09/20 at 15:40:12 by DragBikeMike »  

Meltdown_9_3.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 02/08/20 at 20:46:42

When I was disassembling the engine, I noticed that the center forward head nut (the one accessed from the bottom) was finger tight.  Like I really mean finger tight as in no wrench needed.  I suspected that was not good.  It wasn’t too long ago that I had checked those two lower nuts and they were both good and tight.  I have lapped three of these heads now.  Each one displayed the same low spot just above the exhaust port.  Even under optimum conditions, it looks like the heads give a bit due to the high operating temp in that area (just above the exhaust port).  When I started lapping this head, it was evident that the area just above the exhaust port was low in relation to the rest of the sealing surface.  This is an obvious weak link in the LS650 head.

Sealing_Surface_Low_Spot_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 02/08/20 at 20:47:40

Even after quite a bit of lapping, it still didn’t clean up entirely.  Eventually, I was able to completely eliminate the low spot to the point where you couldn’t detect it.  This is what it looked like after going through 3 sheets of 180 grit.  The 4th sheet finally got it entirely cleaned up.

Sealing_Surface_Low_Spot_3_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 02/08/20 at 20:48:48

Generally, a good indication that you’ve been getting things too hot is coking on the underside of the piston.  Mine didn’t exhibit any coking.  I am guessing that’s because this failure was a one-time deal.  It’s not something that has been degrading over time, not repeated operation at elevated temperature.

Pistion_Underside_No_Coking_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 02/08/20 at 20:51:01

So why did it fail?  I have a theory and I’m hoping I can get some good comments and ideas from you folks.  I think I sort of created the perfect storm.

First, I raised my compression to a level that exceeds anything that could be reasonably expected to survive normal street operation.  Pump gas, sustained freeway operation, stop-&-go traffic, a large bore, all work against cranking pressure in the 240 psi range.  I got away with it at first by adding a healthy dose of octane booster.  Then I brought the cranking pressure down to around 220 psi with the 340b cam.  But 220 psi is still too high for street operation on pump gas.  At a minimum, I should have continued the octane booster.  Essentially, I was always running on the ragged edge.  It was fun but you know what happens when you dance with the devil.

Second, I got lazy and careless.  I developed a bad case of complacency and didn’t follow best practice.  I know better than to do WOT pulls with the A/F ratio above 12.5:1, but I was in a hurry to finish up my big carb comparo.  Dang, I was inches away from finishing that shootout, it was goin so good.

Third, when I set up the engine with .060” quench, I fly-cut valve reliefs in the stock cast piston.  Thinking ahead, I cut the intake reliefs for 35mm valves.  I intend to eventually try 35mm valves in place of the stock 33mm valves.  That meant the reliefs had to have a radius 1mm larger.  Increasing the relief by 1mm reduces the wall between the top ring groove and the relief by 1mm.  I think that was too thin and leant itself to the failure.  Now that the chunk of piston is gone you can see how thin it was.  I also think I should have applied a larger radius in the corner of the relief pockets.  I used a tool bit with a 1/64" radius, I think it should have been more like 1/16" or 3/32".

Ring_Distortion_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 02/08/20 at 20:53:41

Forth, I’m just windin this sucker up too tight.  At 8000 rpm the piston speed is 4933 feet per minute.  Recommended threshold is like 4500 feet per minute for a street engine.  On each one of my LSR pulls I had the thing above 6K for around 25 seconds.  That top ring is the heat sink for the piston crown, the hottest component in the engine.  It’s soakin up heat like a dry sponge soaks up water, and that heat must transmit through the rings to the cylinder and out to the cool air.  I think the failure occurred on the intake side of the piston because that area of the cylinder gets the least cooling air.  I know the fresh charge is on that side, but I think that’s mostly cooling the head.  The piston is mostly relying on the cylinder to shed heat.  It also might not get as much oil thrown up from the rod bearing.  All you have to do is look at the failed piston to see which side runs hotter.

Since I was runnin on the ragged edge, and I didn’t have the benefit of the additional fuel to help keep things cool, that poor piston simply went past the limit and started getting soft.  The ring got so hot that the gap closed and butted, then all hell broke loose.  The Fastman was right about the ring butting.  It’s not that it didn’t have enough gap, I just took it past it’s allowable limit, generating so much heat that it couldn’t handle it.  The ring butted and bound up and as the piston moved down the ring stayed put and ripped the top off the piston.  I guess I could set it up with a lot more gap to provide a margin of safety, but maybe it would be better to set it up with sufficient fuel and a reasonable redline, or maybe all three (fuel, redline & butt gap).

All along I’ve been concerned about detonation with this tight-quench setup.  But I don’t think this failure was detonation.  Nothing else is beat up.  I’ve reviewed a ton of photos showing detonation damage.  There’s plenty of pistons with similar damage, but all of them show ring lands folded down.  None show the land folded upward.  And there is generally lots of other areas pock marked and beat up.  I don’t doubt that there may have been some detonation going on in my engine (due to the heat), I just don’t think detonation initiated the failure.

The big carb test will have to be done over.  I’ll be putting it back together with a Wiseco.  The test data I’ve collected so far on the carburetors is nice to have but won’t lend itself to a fair test.  I have to look at the bright side, now I will be able to do a comparative test of the Wiseco vs machining the cylinder to increase compression.  That should be interesting.

Hope you find this report informative.  I haven’t given up on my tight quench motor, just have to figure out a few things before I try it again.  I learned a lot from this experiment, and I look forward to learning more as I forge ahead.  Knowledge is power.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #21 - 02/08/20 at 22:02:49

DBM, Sorry about your engine. I know you put many hours time and thought  into it. None of us know the exact number of what the rpm limit is or should be. As we search for more power, it seems the power band moves up, and the sweet spot is in a higher rpm range. Maybe with this engine it might be better to settle for a lower rpm . It will just want to tear itself apart at some point.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 02/09/20 at 04:22:48

DBM:

I think you analyzed it right - the failure is located at the thin area near the valve pocket.  The small amount of material overheated and liquified.

I wonder if it would be wise for you to use one of those thermo coatings on the top of the piston?  They all tell a good story about how well their products work - but I have never seen anyone provide a photo of the piston after it has been used.

Sorry for your loss. I am sure the next round will go better.  I have a couple used stock pistons if you want them......not sure about the quality of them.

I believe Muratic Acid will remove the aluminum from the valves without doing much of anything to the valves.....apply it with a Q-Tip to the aluminum.  (Flat trackers used to do this trick to remove scorched pistons from cylinder walls).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #23 - 02/09/20 at 07:19:39

Hey DBM,
Once again a well written, photographed and posted thread!
Wondering why you didn't go with a taller piston to begin with? I believe you said they are lighter? Once, to scare my self I did the math on the loading on a Big Twin HD piston/rod at redline. Roughly like using an air-cooled Beetle as a Yo-Yo. Loading is insane. Worst is at TDC exhaust when there is less pressure on the piston top.
Anyhoo, if I had to guess, the valve pocket cut-out seems like the villain. Maybe with a lighter piston (and pin?) you can keep your stratospheric redline. You did stronger valve springs/lighter retainers, yes?
Many moons ago I did horrible things to an XL250 Honda. Bigger bore, bumpier cam, bigger intake valves, bigger carb, stronger valve springs, free flowing exhaust, and so on.
No tach, so I just revved the nuts off the bike. All fun and games til the main bearings on the crank blew their lunch.
Point is, tweaking the motors sometimes leads to failure of the weakest link.
When we raced our SR500 we had to butch up so many parts of the motor as we pumped up the HP.
Can't wait to see the next incarnation. Sorry for your loss of time/money/energy. Good on you for sharing.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #24 - 02/09/20 at 09:24:24

Thanks for that thoughtful and thorough analysis DBM. It's a reasonable hypothesis and I loved how you walked us through your thinking on the diagnostic process. It's all to our benefit as interested observers. Albeit at your expense. But, a wonderful education for us all. Thank you!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 02/09/20 at 15:37:46

I appreciate the condolences.  I'm not bummed out over the failure, it comes with the territory.  The nature of my project is experimentation and I expect failures.  All part of learning.

Hotrod: I think 4500 fpm is a good number for a street engine in mild state of tune.  If I set an arbitrary redline of 7500 rpm my average piston speed will be limited to 4625 fpm, just slightly above 4500.  I think that should be fine as long as I maintain proper A/F ratio.  My engine made max power at 6240 rpm.  Shift point should be 110% of max power or 6865 rpm, well below the arbitrary limit of 7500.  I just gotta be reasonable and stop burying the tach.  One thing I might consider is changing my performance measurement criteria from 4K to 7K in 2nd to say 3.5K to 6.5K in 3rd, but that would make comparisons to the older setups impossible.  I really need to take it just past 7K to do meaningful testing.  I believe I can do it safely.

Dave: Good suggestion on the thermal coating.  I think I will look into that.  Do you think the forged piston will hold up better to the heat than the cast piston, or does it just handle more load better?  Regarding the acid, I think I will mess around with my laps and the Gizmatic first.  Problem with acid is I have to store it and ultimately get rid of it.  If I have to resort to the acid I will see if I can find some in a small quantity, maybe I can get a small amount from someone who owns a swimming pool.  Don't they use that stuff to clean pools?

Armen:  Yes, I installed robust springs but the retainers and keepers are stock.  BTW, they look great.  I gotta take this statement back.  The retainers looked great from 2 feet away peering through the valve cover, but closer visual inspection shows that the stock retainers ain't gonna cut it.  Still have to test the springs. More later.   Revision posted 2/14/20.Still have to load test them but visually they are in fine condition.  I didn't use the pop-top to begin with because I wanted tight quench.  Can't get that with the Wiseco because the compression height is only .025" taller than stock.  I feel that high compression with tight quench is better than high compression with no quench.  It definitely has promise on this LS engine.  Considering how well it worked before the failure, I'm convinced the tight quench is the better way to go.  Now I will be able to test that.  The 97mm Wiseco is almost exactly the same weight as the stock cast piston.  If I machine the top of the 97mm Wiseco so that it's a flat-top, I will reduce the weight by something less than 28 grams.  Since folks are running the 94mm Wiseco (which is 52 grams lighter than stock) with no adverse vibration reports, I think a modified 97mm Wiseco will be OK.  I would get a bump in displacement, a bump in compression, tight quench, and a thicker wall at the valve relief.  What's not to like about all that?  I'll keep my fingers crossed on the rest of the parts, main bearings, rod bearing, wrist pin, rod, etc.  There will always be a weak link, that's the fun part.

DieselBob:  Thanks, it's my pleasure.  I simply love doing these tests and reports.  I'm glad you find it beneficial.

« Last Edit: 02/14/20 at 22:31:11 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #26 - 02/10/20 at 13:55:34

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/09/20 at 15:37:46:
I'm not bummed out over the failure, it comes with the territory.

I picture you saying this climbing out of the wreckage of some sub-orbital X-plane, pilot-engineer headed aloft to see what all the guff from the test pilots was about.  Data collected, back to work, in quest of better.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #27 - 02/10/20 at 14:00:45

Soichiro Honda used to say "We learn more from failures than from success."

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 02/10/20 at 14:56:27

Yes, some use muriatic acid to clean pools/concrete. You can get it at most hardware stores in a gallon jug pretty cheap.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 05:08:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Meltdown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.