Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can you ID this monoshock build? (Read 176 times)
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Can you ID this monoshock build?
02/03/20 at 11:15:05

Few monoshocked, maybe you know this one?
« Last Edit: 02/03/20 at 22:22:05 by Mavigogun »  

mono_convert.jpg

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Can you ID this build?
Reply #1 - 02/03/20 at 15:19:23

No idea who made it - but I would not count on the swing arm being able to support the loads that monoshock mount will impose.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/03/20 at 17:09:47

Dave wrote on 02/03/20 at 15:19:23:
No idea who made it - but I would not count on the swing arm being able to support the loads that monoshock mount will impose.

And it will be stiff as a MOFO. Which likely is not much worse than the stock.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - 02/03/20 at 20:00:05

Comes from over on "Chopcult" (just keep scrolling to the Photobucket mess). He explains the chop, and then goes quiet. No mention as to whether he lived.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19615&page=2

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #4 - 02/03/20 at 21:46:39

Nice spot, DieselBob- and thanks.

Dave, you probably remember this monoshock with a custom swing arm; I believe others [Ryca?] utilizing the stock swing arm buff up the cross member.

« Last Edit: 02/05/20 at 16:47:11 by Mavigogun »  

DSC_2889-CF_001.jpg

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #5 - 02/03/20 at 21:54:52

Then there's the Droog:

Suzuki-LS650-Scrambler-11-1280x720.jpg

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #6 - 02/03/20 at 21:55:37

...and this sweet refinement by Bitterswede, using the swing arm from another bike:

unnamed_006.jpg

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #7 - 02/03/20 at 22:07:30

Better-ish view:

2013-07-2809_52_33_001.jpg

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #8 - 02/03/20 at 22:13:46

Detail of the Droog back end showing the reinforced gusset:

FullSizeRender_005_001.jpg

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #9 - 02/03/20 at 22:18:35

...and the Juan Jose Vincenzi "Johnny Truck"- ya, there's Savage remnants in there:

Johnny_Truck_2.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Can you ID this monoshock build?
Reply #10 - 02/04/20 at 04:35:14

So many of these monoshock bikes just become show bikes and are not ridden......the stock swingarm used for a monoshock most likely can be used for pushing a bike from a trailer to the display area.

The stock swingarm is too weak to be used as a monoshock - in the stock form the shock mounts are very near the rear axle and the cross member in front of the tire is thin sheet metal and only serves to keep the swingarm from twisting.  I know it is not strong enough for a shock mount and extensive reinforcement/reconstruction would be necessary if the bike were to be ridden.  I seriously doubt however that these "builder" forums ever share the photos of their failures.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 02/04/20 at 05:03:13

Mavigogun wrote on 02/03/20 at 21:55:37:
...and this sweet refinement by Bitterswede, using the swing arm from another bike:

This is a Katana FE and swingarm, there is another one in Europe - Netherlands that used those. I would do almost that same mod but an even better swap is a GS500 FE and GS and katana Swingarms don't have a shock mount on the brace bridge, they have a linkage and dogbones. That's what is needed to fit it.
However What I tried asking that guy and had email get delivery failure was what tank he used. The problem with swapping the Front end on a savage is the tank will hit and hit hard.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/04/20 at 06:25:30

With my GT550 tank I modified the steering limit to reduce how far the steering can move.  I can still turn around in a narrow two lane road and it does not affect the steering at riding speeds.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #13 - 02/04/20 at 06:34:36

Dave wrote on 02/04/20 at 04:35:14:
So many of these monoshock bikes just become show bikes and are not ridden......

I think it's fair to say MOST bikes are not ridden.   There are so few Savage monos to assess.   Except for the Johnny Truck- clearly a parade trophy.

The stock swingarm is too weak to be used as a monoshock - in the stock form the shock mounts are very near the rear axle and the cross member in front of the tire is thin sheet metal and only serves to keep the swingarm from twisting.

While most using the stock swing arm seem to have built up the cross to bridge loads, examples like the Droog don't seem to have done anything to confront the moment arm increase.   Even stripped down, if that bike was used as the form suggests, I'd have no confidence flex wouldn't end in a bend, crack.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 02/04/20 at 06:50:11

Dave wrote on 02/04/20 at 06:25:30:
With my GT550 tank I modified the steering limit to reduce how far the steering can move.  I can still turn around in a narrow two lane road and it does not affect the steering at riding speeds.

The gt550 tanks on ebay are rather crappy, I think I can get away with this generic gn125 tank I got - or I will be buying a CB125 generic again to play around with. I'd probably have to figure out how I'm going to fit it first, the gn125 tank is short front to back, so allows to fit further back with some creative denting of the frame tunnel it literally can be fitted on the original mounts in the back. The problem with doing that is, it exposes the neck which isn't that attractive but let me see where it all fits and go from there.

Ooooo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Cafe-Racer-2-4-Gallon-9L-Vintage-Fuel-Gas...

Looks like this build -
http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/FullSizeRender_005_001.jpg
Uses that tank, but ofcourse he's modded the back 1/2 of the frame so it looks perfect. I don't have that option however I can figure a mount no issues as long as it will not get hit by my GS500 front end.

And another problem with the monoshock - if the bike is meant to take twin shocks the swingarm isn't used as a cantilever, fit a mono shock and it is now a cantilever. Now by turning the bike into a café by fitting clipon's or clubmans, you change its weight bias to the front, but would it still load the swingarm to the extent where it starts to tear and it would tear right at the brace starting with the underside ,and once that underside gets a little rip even on one side, the stress concentration will cause it to rip like a sheet of newspaper, will be a very very painful failure and it will never get noticed till too late. Mono shocks bikes have thick wall deep swingarms. Even a huge heavy Harley with monoshock tends to have round or oval section swingarms. So any monoshock conversion without a swingarm swap to the monoshock style swingarm is basically suicide.

PPS:
Never mind, he used FZR, but that katana build used the belt drive from the savage in the katana's rear wheel.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:50:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can you ID this monoshock build?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.