Send Topic Print
Fuel Leak Boulevard S40 (Read 70 times)
palfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel Leak Boulevard S40
01/26/20 at 08:26:58

Hi Everyone--new to the forum.  Trying to help my neighbor who is pretty sick and needs to sell this bike.  

First off, I'm a decent automobile mechanic, worked on them my entire adult life but I don't know the first thing about working on or riding a motorcycle, so I appreciate the patience and help anyone can lend.

Visual inspection of the bike shows sizeable leak coming from a port  on the underside of the air box.  Also has dead battery.  While acquiring a new battery I also thought it would be a good idea to change the oil/filter in preparation for sale.

I opening the drain bolt and the crankcase was full of fuel.  From reading historical posts it seems the petcock is a likely culprit here.  I saw a post on ways to test the petcock but those included getting the bike out on road which I can't do because its tags are expired, more importantly I don't know how to ride.

I'm OK with buying a petcock on a hunch given they aren't terribly expensive but wanted opinions on if the group thinks the issue is more carburetor related given the findings I listed.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Fuel Leak Boulevard S40
Reply #1 - 01/26/20 at 08:36:08

The vacuum operated petcock has a diaphragm that deteriorates and allows fuel to flow into the vacuum line - the fuel ends up in the crankcase and/or airbox.

The common fix is to buy a Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock and use it to solve the problem permanently.  You should buy a Yamaha petcock, and not the Chinese copies.  If you don't see the Yamaha part number and the white box - don't buy it.

LkAAOSwmfhX4r09" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-YFM-660R-OEM-FUEL-VALVE-SHUTOFF-PETCOCK-5LP-24500-01-00/273472354220?fits=Model%3ARaptor+660R&epid=1023314198&hash=item3fac38f7ac:gCheesyLkAAOSwmfhX4r09

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/26/20 at 09:16:20

where are you located?

and you can list the bike for sale in the marketplace.

WWW   IP Logged
palfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/26/20 at 09:36:11

Thank you Dave.  That is just the type of guidance I was hoping for.  I will buy that Yamaha part and report back.

Bike is in Gilbert, AZ (just outside Phoenix).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/26/20 at 10:21:40

Fair chance the float valve is leaking the fuel the Petcock is allowing through, but the Petcock is where I'd start.
The cheap knockoff Petcock won't deliver fuel right. Official Yamaha Petcock is required.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/26/20 at 10:41:39

The fuel leaking through the carb can flow both into the motor and /or the air filter box , you should drain both ,be sure to replace the plug (or a bolt if it's missing) in the drain tube below the air box (it sets between the filter and the carb ), outside air ( unfiltered) will be sucked into the motor when running.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
palfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/01/20 at 09:40:28

Guys

I purchased the part Dave suggested through the hyperlink.  Received the same one however it has no vacuum port like the original, only the fuel port.

Did I get the wrong one?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/01/20 at 09:48:42

palfer wrote on 02/01/20 at 09:40:28:
Guys

I purchased the part Dave suggested through the hyperlink.  Received the same one however it has no vacuum port like the original, only the fuel port.

Did I get the wrong one?

No, you got the right one.
the vacuum port is known for failure.
just plug the port on the carb
and don't forget to turn it on when you go riding and off when you're finished.

WWW   IP Logged
palfer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/01/20 at 11:17:01

Thanks.  Installed new petcock, cheesy-eBay battery.  She starts and runs.  No leak.

its choppy but I'm thinking that due to not running for several months.  Probably needs a ride for a few miles to clear things out.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/01/20 at 17:45:20

You may have some crud in the carb from old gas, you could try some Seafoam  additive in the fuel tank.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:15:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Leak Boulevard S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.