Send Topic Print
Stock handgrip size? (Read 52 times)
Blizzard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stock handgrip size?
01/25/20 at 20:12:01

Today I installed new handlebars and my parents gave me the handgrips from my moms Harley soft tail. My throttle was pretty beat up and the other handgrip was basically just rubber glued to the handlebar. Unfortunately the throttle was too big where the cover sits so the cover wouldn’t close all the way. Just wondering where I can find some aftermarket handgrips that will fit.

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stock handgrip size?
Reply #1 - 01/25/20 at 20:44:51

Any one inch set should work. Harley grips are typically 1 inch, Im surprised they were loose.

A life long student of motorcycling
  IP Logged
Blizzard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/25/20 at 21:20:19

They weren’t loose, it’s that the control housing wouldn’t close around the throttle tube. I’m not sure why.

IP Logged
Blizzard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/25/20 at 21:43:13

Alright, I just measured the outside diameter of the stock throttle tube which is 1.14 inches. Standard for Harley (at least the ones I was given) are 1.4 inches.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 01/26/20 at 01:05:00

It the stock throttle tube is still in good shape (It can come out of the stock grip) the simplest solution would be to use the stock tube and order some grips without a tube. Biltwell sell some good inexpensive grips for 1" bars. One of the grips will have a larger hole for the throttle side.

The stock tube has some ridges along it. I filed them down as I could feel them through the Biltwell 'Recoil' grips.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
thorzhamma84
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/28/20 at 12:21:57

I installed new 1” Biltwell handlebars last week. The reason my controls  wouldn’t fit was the lack of holes in handlebars to secure the controls. Had to drill in to get the controls to seat properly. You’ll see the small plastic piece protruding from the inner circle of controls. After making the holes, everything fit perfectly.

Also I used 7/8 grips on my 1” bars because they were much cheaper. They fit and look great. Used hand sanitizer to slip them on. Dried up quickly.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/28/20 at 12:27:06

thorzhamma84 wrote on 02/28/20 at 12:21:57:
Also I used 7/8 grips on my 1” bars because they were much cheaper. They fit and look great. Used hand sanitizer to slip them on. Dried up quickly.

You must have used Thor's hamma to get them on... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 02/29/20 at 12:00:35

thorzhamma84 wrote on 02/28/20 at 12:21:57:
I ... The reason my controls  wouldn’t fit was the lack of holes in handlebars to secure the controls. Had to drill in to get the controls to seat properly...

You can grind those little pins off the control boxes. They still clamp on just fine, and it gives much more flexibility to adjust the setup once the bars are on.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 22:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock handgrip size?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.