Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Wheel Spoke Torgue (Read 104 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Rear Wheel Spoke Torgue
01/20/20 at 04:29:36

I have done my due diligence and searched the forums.
The only mention I see is a post from back in 2014 where someone said that someplace said that it was 60 in/lbs.

Clymers has a spec for the front spokes (3 to 3.5 ft/lb (36 to 42 in/lb), but says nothing about the rear spokes.

Anybody got a Suzuki Service Manual?  What does it say.. if anything?

And, yeah, I got reasons for asking..  Roll Eyes

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear Wheel Spoke Torgue
Reply #1 - 01/20/20 at 07:59:38

Buchanan's Spoke and Rim wants you to torque off road spokes to 45 in/lbs - street bikes to 65 in/lbs.

When I have laced up my wheels I have found that  trying to get to 65 in/lbs is impossible - as the wheel rim gets pulled out of alignment no matter how carefully I proceed.  It could be that aluminum rims should not be torqued as high as steel rims...not sure what the cause is.

Since the Savage is not heavy and doesn't have a lot of power or braking power - it may not be necessary to have the spokes as tight as they would be on an 800 pound torque monster.

And......when installing new spokes/nipples the threads are lubed and turn easily - I fear that on a bike with corroded spoke threads it may be impossible to use a torque reading, and you may have to rely on the old method of "tuning" the spokes to get rid of any dull "thud" sounds when you tap on the spike with a wrench to ensure the spokes are tightened similarly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #2 - 01/20/20 at 08:07:49

You still have to true the wheel properly. I can’t see how torque can ever be even.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/20/20 at 10:12:45

Dave wrote on 01/20/20 at 07:59:38:
Buchanan's Spoke and Rim wants you to torque off road spokes to 45 in/lbs - street bikes to 65 in/lbs.

When I have laced up my wheels I have found that  trying to get to 65 in/lbs is impossible - as the wheel rim gets pulled out of alignment no matter how carefully I proceed.  It could be that aluminum rims should not be torqued as high as steel rims...not sure what the cause is.

Since the Savage is not heavy and doesn't have a lot of power or braking power - it may not be necessary to have the spokes as tight as they would be on an 800 pound torque monster.

And......when installing new spokes/nipples the threads are lubed and turn easily - I fear that on a bike with corroded spoke threads it may be impossible to use a torque reading, and you may have to rely on the old method of "tuning" the spokes to get rid of any dull "thud" sounds when you tap on the spike with a wrench to ensure the spokes are tightened similarly.

I concur that 65 is impossible (or at least impractical).
Using the "tuning" method is doable on the front.  The rear spokes are so short and thick that I don't know if that will work very well.

Sure hope someone has an SSM and it is listed in there.. somewhere.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/20/20 at 10:14:02

Dennisgb wrote on 01/20/20 at 08:07:49:
You still have to true the wheel properly. I can’t see how torque can ever be even.

Very true.  But I am hoping for at least an accurate "ball park" for the torque value.  

Say the torque spec is 40, like it is on the front.
"This spoke is 40, that spoke is 36, but the wheel is true"  That is fine with me.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/22/20 at 07:34:20

Just gonna give this a bump.. cause I can't believe that NOBODY out there has a Suzuki Service Manual for the LS650..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/22/20 at 08:25:32

Sorry, I did look it up in the SSM and it was 3.5 ftlbs for both front and rear.
Later model went to 3.7

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/22/20 at 13:44:21

verslagen1 wrote on 01/22/20 at 08:25:32:
Sorry, I did look it up in the SSM and it was 3.5 ftlbs for both front and rear.
Later model went to 3.7

Thank you!!!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 01/22/20 at 14:36:47

I laced up a set of wheels a few years back. Dave was kind enough let me use his spoke torque wrench. As hard as I tried, I could not use torque as a truing value. The spokes are at the correct torque when there is no hop and true to a few thou. That’s it.

You’ll drive yourself nuts trying to get it right with torque value. Sound is a much better indicator. Although for a rear rim the frequency would probably be useless.

« Last Edit: 01/22/20 at 19:42:48 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 01/22/20 at 18:36:39

Wheel building is a black art. Smiley

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #10 - 01/22/20 at 20:46:13

Ive always just used the tone method.  Get them tight to where they start giving resistance.  By that I mean that the torque seems to climb significantly within a half turn or so. Of course thats after you have it on a stand and they are all centered and most of your wobble is out.

Ive tried the torque wrenches also without any good results.  Just end up having an out of round rim.

Then I ping each spoke with the wrench, listen and aim for the same tone on each spoke all the way around. (kind of like tuning a guitar with a tuning fork)

It sounds very unscientific, but I have been doing it on many bikes over a bunch of years and Ive always had good results.

But yeah, more of a craft than science.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/22/20 at 21:16:23

I'm pretty sure more rims have been laced without a torque wrench than with.
Just put it together, put a piece of wire in a block, and set it by the rim.
Rotate, see distance between wire and rim, adjust,,
Do that with the whole thing,, center it on the spindle, work it to concentric and true, if it's your first time, it's gonna be a bigass hassle..
Tape on the wire
To help you get concentric.
Gotta work all three , center spindle, concentric, true,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #12 - 01/22/20 at 21:46:28

I have built-up about 30 bike wheels, some with hubs I built on my lathe, cut the spokes to length and rolled on the threads. If you try to true the wheel with a torque wrench you will have more luck hunting snipe with a fishing net!
You will get it true, OR, you will get all the spokes to spec. Never both at home.
When they build wheels in a factory, they have MASSIVE JIGS that hold everything in aligment. They can torque the first spoke then go all around the wheel once and it's done!
With all my experence building bike wheels, I recomend cast wheels for m/c use.
If you must work on a spoke wheel, get true and round first, then tap ALL the spokes and do your fine tuning. A torque wrench for m/c wheels is a waste for a home builder.

( disclamer = If you are a pro at building-up spoke m/c wheels without a jig your torque wrench has got dust on it, dosen't it? No one races on spoke wheels anymore unless it's vintage. That's my opinion, of course. I'd be glad to read a post from someone here that has built-up a wheel from scratch and trued it with all the spokes at perfect torque. )

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/23/20 at 06:34:07

Thanks for all your comments saying it is impossible to get the torque value correct on all the spokes.
I understand that.

I need the torque spec so I can get them closer to what they needs to be as I keep the tire true.

Spokes stretch.  Especially when you ride.. on rough roads (dirt, river beds, etc)

Loose spokes = broken spokes
When I put the torque wrench on 10 in-lb and NOTHING happens on ANY spoke.. hmmm..  Need to tighten them up.
I said TIGHTEN.. not TRUE!!!!
I use the time honored method of starting at the spoke beside the valve, turn 1/4 turn, skip 2 spokes, turn 1/4 turn, skip 2 spokes, turn 1/4 turn, etc.  Go all the way around.   Go to the next spoke from the valve.. same routine, all the way around.  Got the next valve from the spoke, and one more time around the wheel.
That's right THREE times around makes one "set"
Why skip 2 spokes?  Because that puts you tightening on the opposite side of the rim.
Spin the wheel.. make sure you are still "True" (should be, you did the same thing to each spoke).
Keep going round and round and round.  Eventually, the torque wrench will hit the value you want on a spoke.  
I will be setting my wrench a bit below the spec. That way I can finish out the set of rounds with the non-torque wrench.  A 1/4 turn ain't gonna put you over if you started out a bit below.

Sound OK?

Oh WAIT.. somebody is sure to say that not all the spokes will have stretched the same amount.  GIVE ME A BREAK..    Angry
I will do what I need to do to get them as tight as they need to be while keeping the wheel as TRUE as I can.
Anything will be better than loose as a goose and the rim wandering all over the place under load.  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/23/20 at 08:07:25

Logical plan,, reasonable approach,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 15:39:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Wheel Spoke Torgue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.