Send Topic Print
Off idle issues. (Read 161 times)
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Off idle issues.
01/12/20 at 07:52:03

About 3 months ago after a ride about 3 hrs long i noticed oil on my engine and side cover. Cruised home no problems. later that night a 8 min ride to the gas station and back was horrible. Oil everywhere literally everywhere my lil tink was hemoraging oil. Determined the rings were bad. Upon disassembling i found a broken(3 piece) compression ring.
Soooo i Replaced the rings, head plug, cylinder plug, coil, rectifier, ignition switch, turn signal relay, upper and lower cylinder gaskets all with oem suzuki parts. Rebuild was easy no problems. First ride was amazing bike performed perfectly. The very next day i went to start the bike. It started and idled perfectly. However, the very monent i rolled on the trottle to to ride the bike started to spit and sputter. It didnt die but there was no enough power to propel the bike forward. Hit the kill switch bike was off for 5 secs or so and i started it again...same issues. Bike continued to do this for about 3 or 4 mins and then performed perfectly. I have continued to have the exact same problems until i did a full carb rebuild. First rode after carb rebuild was perfect even got about 5 mph gain on top side. The next morning back to the same problems...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT MAYBE WRNG.  Starting to think my rings may have rotated a bit reinstaling the cylinder and im loosing compression.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Off idle issues.
Reply #1 - 01/12/20 at 10:48:12

Have you checked your oil level lately? Does it appear high? Do you still have a stock petcock?  You may have fuel leaking into the bottom end of the motor , your first run could have been normal ,but the bike setting overnight (with fuel running into the oil in bottom sump ) could well have caused your the bike to run badly the next day.
     Remove your oil filler cap and see if you smell gas  .

You should have posted this in the Rubber Side Down That's the place to receive help/ advice

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/12/20 at 12:09:00

Welcome Savagelife.  I moved your post to the Rubberside where we deal with mechanical problems.

I don't think rings would cause an intermittent problem.
So I'd be looking at fuel or spark.
Do you have the stock petcock?... They often go bad and leak either fuel or vacuum...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 01/12/20 at 16:54:51

the very monent i rolled on the trottle to to ride the bike started to spit and sputter  

So , your not getting fuel .   Since it runs "OK" sometimes then you have a intermittent fuel flow problem .  

The surest fix would be to drain the fuel tank and remove the petcock .   Now --- that filter looking thing just pulls out and needs to be cleaned , and check under it before putting it back on for trash. Check the rest of the petcock for trash too.

If that diagram in the petcock has a hole in it or the vacuum line has a leak then your fuel supply will be not constant at best .

This is a good time to replace the factory Petcock with the Raptor  Manual version .   If you want to keep the factory petcock then good luck.

One more place to check for trash :  At the needle valve inside the carb.  A tiny piece of trash here will cause all kinds of problems.

I rely on a "in-line filter" and a manual shut-off petcock .    If you go with the manual version then you can set the amount of fuel left in the tank when you need reserve by changing the tall tube on the petcock.

You know what ?   I'll bet the vacuum hose has a leak .   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #4 - 01/12/20 at 19:21:06

I have to agree with the others. Check for dirt or rust in the fuel tank also.

BTW, rings rotate constantly when engine is running. The odds are very low that they would all line up and wouldn’t cause the problem your having anyway.

IP Logged
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/12/20 at 20:18:53

I have the raptor 660 petcock and have checked it for functionality multiple times and it works and shuts of properly but not once have i considered to check the socks on it. I will put it immediately and check them. Before the rebuild i had an inline filter on it and never had the problem previously after the rebuild i removed the inline filter and thats when my problems started. Tomorrow i will be pullin the petcock checkin the socks and will post the outcome. Thank you for the advise.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/12/20 at 20:58:43

removed the inline filter and thats when my problems started  

Hay , you recon a grain of debree might have got wedged in the fuel entry at the carb ?    
Or
If a little bit of trash got in the bowl it could be making its way into the main jet sometimes then dropping back into the bowl only to do it again.    draining the carb is an easy thing to do ???  
I have drained the carb. through a piece of white cloth so I can see what came out.

I also threw out that "Sock" on the petcock long ago and lengthened the tube that definds when rev. starts.

Those inline filters lets me see the flow and how much and what kind of trash is caught too.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/13/20 at 04:45:35

I dont believe its my carb i did a complete rebuild on it just 2 weeks ago down to the screws. New everything inside the carb. it continued to act all special and perform the same with the same symptoms after the carb rebuild.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/13/20 at 07:01:55

When you rebuilt the carb ,did you clean the filter that is above the float valve seat ? Is the float set to the proper level?-the level doesn't include the float bowl gasket.

IP Logged
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/13/20 at 07:41:47

I replaced the float valve seat and the screen. Took the clip off my needle vale and put it on the new needle valve. Im about to step out noe and start the process. Tryin to locate a piece of clear tubing to check the float/gas level inside the bowl.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/13/20 at 17:48:50

If you replaced JUST the float valve seat ,that could be a problem .the valve and seat are sold as an assembly (matched set) a mismatch could allow fuel to leak by flooding the bowl /carb , that would show up as fuel spitting out the carb as the carb "breaths" in and out
     You might also be sure that the brass washer is in place between the main jet and the needle jet .
               Where did you obtain a new needle jet ? If it was from an online kit it could be incorrect , you should check it against the stock needle for diameter and any taper- ( if one is present).

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 01/13/20 at 18:21:56

Sticky slide.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 01/14/20 at 19:33:03

ohiomoto wrote on 01/13/20 at 18:21:56:
Sticky slide.

The same thought crossed my mind. Sticky slide or a piece of rubbish interfering with the needle jet. Idle works ok and it plays up with a little bit of throttle - and it seems to be intermittent. Sounds like a fuel flow issue.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #13 - 01/14/20 at 19:39:49

Just some random troubleshooting ideas:

1. I'm not sure if I'm reading that the issue started after the carb rebuild or if the issue prompted the rebuild.

2. You mention the problem began after you removed the inline filter. That seems kinda relevant.

3. Have you checked the plug/cap on the vacuum port of the carb, which I assume you put in place when you installed the Raptor. (Although I'm not sure that would cause the symptoms described)

4. Another common mistake on a carb rebuild is to install the plate that sits around the needle (inside the slide) upside down - the dimples need to be up or down (I can't remember which way they go right now). Honestly, I struggle to even see which way there sitting, even when I'm looking right at it.

Just throwing a few ideas out there  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Savagelife
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/21/20 at 05:57:05

So i pulled the petcock removed the socks and installed a new inline filter. Same problems insued. However, yestday i went to start the bike and it had immediate issues. So i randomly turned on the right side signal. All the issues and problems went away. Turned it off they came back. Repeated process same results. Turn on signal again bike ran perfectly so i unplugged signal relay while flashin and problems camr back...all my lights and indicators were super bright. Thibk maybe i got a bum rectifier??

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:45:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Off idle issues.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.