Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
False humility will not save the planet (Read 139 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

False humility will not save the planet
01/06/20 at 04:59:29

A great read and worth the investment of your time.

https://quillette.com/2020/01/02/false-humility-will-not-save-the-planet/

“The energy density of uranium is three million times higher than that of coal or oil, which is in turn many times higher than solar and wind, which means that nuclear plants also produce far lower volumes of waste.”

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: False humility will not save the planet
Reply #1 - 01/06/20 at 06:16:54

Unfortunately NIMBY-ism, and BANANA-ism will not allow this to happen on US soil.
I'm perfectly happy with that scenario, I don't want to buy a sheitee Tesla, or Prius or whatever the duck the libtards are - How dare you (now that that's outta the way) pushing cos they bought a bunch of stock in it, or Elon Musk has funded AOC's presidential bid etc etc.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/06/20 at 06:18:54

I was under the impression that most people were aware nuclear is ideal for power but prefer solar and wind over nuclear.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/06/20 at 06:34:14

Most people have no idea how power gets from production to their house. They have a vague idea that it’s  produce somewhere and comes in over wires but that’s the extent of it.

The major energy companies are not pouring billions of dollars into wind energy and solar for a reason. They do what they do now because they can break even or make a small profit due to government subsidies. But they’re not investing their companies fortunes. They’re very well aware of the shortcomings that can’t be overcome. If wind and solar were capable of supplying energy our needs, the major companies would’ve been fighting over it like dogs and cats but they haven’t.

There is a shift underway towards the realities that nuclear power must be considered for future energy needs.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/06/20 at 07:01:41

WebsterMark wrote on 01/06/20 at 06:34:14:
Most people have no idea how power gets from production to their house. They have a vague idea that it’s  produce somewhere and comes in over wires but that’s the extent of it.

The major energy companies are not pouring billions of dollars into wind energy and solar for a reason. They do what they do now because they can break even or make a small profit due to government subsidies. But they’re not investing their companies fortunes. They’re very well aware of the shortcomings that can’t be overcome. If wind and solar were capable of supplying energy our needs, the major companies would’ve been fighting over it like dogs and cats but they haven’t.
There is a shift underway towards the realities that nuclear power must be considered for future energy needs.

There is a more diabolical reason why the power companies aren't fighting over wind and solar. They own the electrical grid. Now if enough people install solar panels then energy becomes abundant. The people can push their electricity into the grid when peak generation is possible, and they can draw from the grid when required. Here the electrical company can charge you a lot for the energy you use, then credit you very little for the energy you send back to the grid. As in you use 10 units, will cost you 100 a unit, you send back 100, we'll pay you 1 per unit, obviously when you're making tons of power via solar, so is everyone else in a 100 mile radius so its worthless right ... duh, its like saying 90% of the time our freeways are free and open, hence there is no traffic problem, like WTF. Worse yet, I have heard cases of PG&E stiffing people completely and writing it down when they declare bankruptcy and that was in the 90's long before en-masse solar crrappola hit the fan.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 01/06/20 at 07:49:46

I have a question, I asked it on another thread, got no reply.....

What might be the effects, that if we find a energy source, free of fossil fuel, that the middle east finds they no longer hold power, through their holdings in that fuel source?

Could they be forced to find peace?

Money is power......anybody disagree?

Even the best legal system in the world, supposedly ours, the USA, bows to influences, in a direct assault, upon which it is supposedly based/founded, upon....

How can we ever expect the truth of any given proceedings, when its not truly represented, and extended, to everyone?

Think about this: The shortest path between two people, is the truth.....

Which would mean, anything else, is just a detour.....or perhaps, eating paint chips laced, with lead..... holds such wisdom, but sadly, only to the one who has no truth, to offer.....  Undecided

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/06/20 at 08:29:19

Would you alter your religious practice for money?  A lot of the violence is based off of religion, I can't imagine Kurds or Jews will just be accepted because people are poor.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/06/20 at 08:34:45

srinath wrote on 01/06/20 at 07:01:41:
WebsterMark wrote on 01/06/20 at 06:34:14:

There is a more diabolical reason why the power companies aren't fighting over wind and solar. They own the electrical grid. Now if enough people install solar panels then energy becomes abundant. The people can push their electricity into the grid when peak generation is possible, and they can draw from the grid when required. Here the electrical company can charge you a lot for the energy you use, then credit you very little for the energy you send back to the grid. As in you use 10 units, will cost you 100 a unit, you send back 100, we'll pay you 1 per unit, obviously when you're making tons of power via solar, so is everyone else in a 100 mile radius so its worthless right ... duh, its like saying 90% of the time our freeways are free and open, hence there is no traffic problem, like WTF. Worse yet, I have heard cases of PG&E stiffing people completely and writing it down when they declare bankruptcy and that was in the 90's long before en-masse solar crrappola hit the fan.

Cool.
Srinath.

I don’t think that’s the case. If that were so, wouldn’t all the phone companies have gotten together and done everything they could to kill the cell phone? They couldn’t because (for lack of a better phrase) the grassroots efforts of people demanded cell phones so the industry was forced to change. If solar and wind were really economically viable and desirable for the public, the demand would overwhelm the power companies desire not to mess with the status quo. They would have to do it just like the phone companies had to begin working with mobile technology.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/06/20 at 08:35:22

raydawg wrote on 01/06/20 at 07:49:46:
I have a question, I asked it on another thread, got no reply.....

What might be the effects, that if we find a energy source, free of fossil fuel, that the middle east finds they no longer hold power, through their holdings in that fuel source?

Money is power......anybody disagree?

Even the best legal system in the world, supposedly ours, the USA, bows to influences, in a direct assault, upon which it is supposedly based/founded, upon....

How can we ever expect the truth of any given proceedings, when its not truly represented, and extended, to everyone?

Think about this: The shortest path between two people, is the truth.....

Which would mean, anything else, is just a detour.....or perhaps, eating paint chips laced, with lead..... holds such wisdom, but sadly, only to the one who has no truth, to offer.....  Undecided

Aren’t we almost there or ready?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/06/20 at 08:42:50

Nuclear is rejected,..
one because of risk of meltdown,...
two because of waste disposal...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 01/06/20 at 09:43:20

Serowbot wrote on 01/06/20 at 08:42:50:
Nuclear is rejected,..

Correct, and I'll add a third problem - too many people in the backyard of the local nuclear reactor are getting hit with thyroid cancer, Far far too many. BTW I'd also say those over head powerlines they got coming out of the place - monster eyesores, and likely causing some issues as well.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/06/20 at 11:20:52

Nuclear is rejected,..

Those are solvable. We must solve them. There is no alternative.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/06/20 at 11:22:11

srinath wrote on 01/06/20 at 09:43:20:
Nuclear is rejected,..

Correct, and I'll add a third problem - too many people in the backyard of the local nuclear reactor are getting hit with thyroid cancer, Far far too many. BTW I'd also say those over head powerlines they got coming out of the place - monster eyesores, and likely causing some issues as well.

Cool.
Srinath.

I don’t believe that’s true. Even if it is, which I doubt, it too is solvable.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 01/06/20 at 13:20:47

If your solution is solvable...
Why not solve wind, water, and solar?...
I'm sure they can be made more efficient easier than making nuclear waste disappear......

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 01/06/20 at 14:25:03

Transmission lines are not solvable unless you have distributed generation such as solar roof panels.

Solar roof panels are usually not sized to generate power in excess of the residence yearly use.  But they do exceed the immediate usage.  this does offset the peak needs of the power required by businesses.

Thorium power plants could easily replace uranium powered ones and reduce the waste generation substantially.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 05:29:10

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › False humility will not save the planet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.