Send Topic Print
Heroes (Read 153 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Heroes
01/02/20 at 08:30:50

Everyone has heroes , myself included. My list is unique for many reasons. Here's a few Henry Ford,Steve McQueen,Willie Nelson just to name a few. But on 1/1/2020 at 1400 hrs we lost the type of hero that only could have been a member of "The Greatest Generation". Yes a super proud WWII veteran of the war in the South Pacific. He tops the list of my heroes at #1, he was my father.  R.I.P. Poppa. Much Love. Prayers are welcome.
Thank you for taking time to read this.
                  Ruttly

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Heroes
Reply #1 - 01/02/20 at 09:56:03

Ruttly,
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure you were very proud and lucky to have him as a dad. I've read about the battles in the South Pacific and they must have been truly horrible.
Godspeed.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 01/02/20 at 14:09:50

a super proud WWII veteran of the war in the South Pacific.  

I believe Ronald Reagan said it best :  "Our Freedom is never more than One Generation from being Lost"

It seems your Father understood what it takes to maintain Freedom .   God Bless our Service-Men , including your Dad .   Salute !

Being in the Service awakens a person for the rest of their Life .

« Last Edit: 01/02/20 at 16:20:20 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/02/20 at 15:53:00

My father served in the Korean war and I lost him last March.

My father in law served in WWII in the Aleutians and Tarawa and I lost him over ten years ago.

They are big shoes to fill, I pray for your strength.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 01/02/20 at 17:03:20

They were a brave and courageous generation, both volunteers and conscripts, and they stopped some very nasty ideologies from running the world. My sympathies he must have had a good long life.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/03/20 at 16:43:41

When you read WW2 stats it becomes overwhelming and almost unbelievable. American serviceman from all branches numbered well over 16,000,000 , that's right million. At one point WW2 vets were dying at a incomprehensible number of over a thousand a day for ten years and that was about 10 to 15 years ago. Five years ago it was just under five hundred a day and if I had to guess today it would be about half of that. I won't bother with his duties as such. He led a full life and out lived both his wives and passed a month after his 95th birthday. Thanks to all that read this and special thanks to those that replied. Want to see a big smile , thank a soldier for serving their country. Just do it anyways it the right thing to do !

:'(

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 01/03/20 at 23:48:23

They were also the older chidren and adolescents of the great depression roughly 1930-35, many knew tough times.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 01/04/20 at 12:27:02

Your so right JC they grew up during the depression years. My mother could make a 3-31/2 lb meatloaf with 1 lb of ground beef. It was great , the stone soup of meatloafs usually served with 1 slice of bread (for wiping your plate clean) and a large pile of mashed potatoes n gravy , nothing went to waste. It was called Depression Loaf and I wish I had the recipe. She had a saying
Use it up , wear it out , make do or do without  
I heard that a million times
My fathers caretaker is from New Zealand I think it was called V Town , a true walking talking angel who has already earned her wings , just hasn't received them yet.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 01/04/20 at 13:10:46

Ruttly, try googling Depression Meat Loaf, or www.tasteofhome.com depression meat loaf.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 01/04/20 at 17:10:01

Thanks JC I found a bunch of recipes and even found one “to be served with a slice of bread”. Absolutely going to try one soon , I was amazed to find it that easy. Thanks again !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 01/06/20 at 15:22:03

Sorry for your loss, Ruttly!  Prayers for you and your family!

Hate to be just catching this so late...been in China on business and preoccupied with the holidays, kitchen remodel, sick for a week, blah, blah....

My dad is too young for WWII but did serve in Vietnam.  My WWII hero is my great Uncle Jack who is still with us at age 97 and going strong. He served as a communications officer supporting the Navajo Code Talkers in the Pacific Islands and he passed me several of his WWII mementos to include a bracelet hand carved by his Navajo counterpart from metal from a downed Zero, a Japanese Arisaka 99 sniper rifle, a bayonet with the wooden handle burned off in a tank fire which he replaced (in the field) with windshield plexi from a downed Zero, and a 2 page handwritten and signed account of all of these items.  Really cool stuff and even more cool to have the stories with them...that's where you realize what a real hero these guys were.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 01/06/20 at 21:12:11

Ruttly, I'm wondering if your fathers care giver came from Vogeltown, near New Plymouth.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 01/07/20 at 09:19:49

JC , I'll find out today !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 01/07/20 at 09:31:13

See post title,... hear Bowie..

RIP all our heroes... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/08/20 at 10:07:02

Ruttly, I do feel for your loss. My father also island-hopped across the Pacific, ended up at Clark Field fending off banzai attacks after Big Mac retook the Philippines. He passed in 1975, when I was a SGT in the 82nd at Fort Bragg. He would never talk about his experiences, but I could tell they were not fond memories. They did what they had to do, and did it well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 19:21:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Heroes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.