Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Poor Man's Dyno - Excellent Tuning Tool (Read 129 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Poor Man's Dyno - Excellent Tuning Tool
12/29/19 at 16:06:28

If you are serious about improving engine performance, you need a way to accurately evaluate the modifications you make.  Typically, a dynamometer is used to measure rear wheel horsepower.  Another way is to take your hotrod to the dragstrip.  Neither option is perfect, but they are both better than trusting the seat of your pants.  I prefer the dyno because there are less variables to manage.  No launch, no reaction time, no tire spinning, no shifts, no wind, etc.

Another option is timed runs.  If you measure the time it takes to accelerate over a defined set of parameters, you can use the data to evaluate whether your latest modification works as expected.

I use a camera to record my tachometer readings.  Then, I can review the recordings and use a stopwatch to measure the time it takes to accelerate through fixed rpm points.  I accelerate in second gear, start timing at 4000 rpm, and stop timing at 7000 rpm.  That allows me to accomplish the test run without raising the ire of the local constable.  There are a few locations close to my house that are perfect for collecting data under consistent and repeatable conditions.

I can go back to the videos months later to do comparisons of different modifications and/or adjustments.  The video recording also captures my Air/Fuel ratio and oil pressure.  It works well.  I think it’s a great tuning tool, and more convenient than scheduling dyno time (cheaper too).

The camera doesn’t have to record a tach, you could record the speedometer.  For instance, on a stock LS650 with a stock rear tire and gearing, 2nd gear at 4000 rpm is about 35 mph, and 2nd gear at 7000 rpm is about 60 mph.  So, you measure the time it takes to accelerate from 35 mph to 60 mph.  If you always compare the timed runs over those data points, taken under similar conditions, you should get a decent read on how successful your modifications are.

When you do a timed run, you start accelerating well below your first data point (i.e 3000 rpm), and continue to accelerate well past your second data point (i.e. 7500 rpm).  That eliminates human error like reaction time, trying to start from a dead stop, wheelies, tire spin, balance, shutting down early, etc..  Since the run is confined to one gear (2nd), there’s no shift involved.

I have found the data I collect using this method to be invaluable.  I initially thought that I would only be able to evaluate large changes.  I thought that something like a jet change would not be significant enough to detect an improvement.  As it turns out, this system will definitively show a change in performance (good or bad) resulting from a Main Jet two-sizes larger or smaller.  That’s a pretty good tool.  It will definitely help you get it dialed in.

You must overcome the natural tendency to “will” your modification to work.  You want it to work so you may find yourself getting an itchy trigger finger.  I can always tell when I’m starting to fall into that trap.  I take a break for a few minutes and start over. Tongue

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Poor Man's Dyno - Excellent Tuning Tool
Reply #1 - 12/29/19 at 16:07:27

This is what my rig looks like.  It’s simple to make and easy to install.  The videos are clear, and they capture all three of the instruments.  I use the audio to listen for signs of detonation, misfire, impending mechanical failure, etc.  The camera mount relies on foam adhesive for attachment to the bracket, so the lanyard is mandatory.

Birdseye_View_of_Tach__AF_Meter_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 12/29/19 at 16:08:36

It’s easy to start and stop the camera with your left hand.  It also has a voice activation feature, but I have no idea how to make that work.  I’ll stick with old-school, press the button.

Riders_View_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 12/29/19 at 16:09:23

The bracket is simple, just two bars of aluminum with some holes drilled for the mount bolts.  I install some longer bolts through the handlebar clamps.  When I’m done with test & tune, I take the mount bracket off and its back to stock configuration.  The plastic clip and adhesive pad come with the camera.  The zip tie is for the lanyard.

Brkt__Camera_Mount_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 12/29/19 at 16:10:08

Here we have the trusty stopwatch.  Available at your local Walmart.  Note that it says “Precision”.  It’s only as “Precision” as your trigger finger, you gotta concentrate.  After a little practice you figure it out.  Your Poor Man’s Dyno is only as good as your willingness to be fair and consistent.  Cheating will only hurt your progress.  Once you get that concept down your test program starts yielding results.

Stopwatch_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 12/29/19 at 16:15:47

To give you a better idea of how this tool can help your test & tune program, here are the results of my testing since I started using this method:

Stage II Head Baseline                        3.80 seconds

Stage II Head after Jetting                  3.62 seconds

Stage III Muffler                              3.62 seconds

Stage III Muffler after Jetting                  3.58 seconds

Super E Carburetor                        3.48 seconds

Super E Carb after Jetting                  3.45 seconds

Compression Upgrade                        3.05 seconds

Compression Upgrade after tuning            2.89 seconds (dynoed at 41 HP)

340b Cam                              2.95 seconds

340b Cam after jetting                        2.85 seconds

K&N RD-0710 Filter                        2.95 seconds

K&N RD-0710 Filter after jetting                  2.65 seconds

Many of the changes were very small, under one-tenths of a second.  I doubt that I could have detected the change without the aid of the Poor Man’s Dyno.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 12/29/19 at 16:17:50

GoPro cameras are expensive.  I’m sure that you could achieve the same results using a smart phone or a cheap digital camera.   I found this one on Amazon for like $18 bucks.  I’m sure you can find a suitable camera for a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-2-0-inch-SJ4000-Photography-Camcorders/dp/B...

All you need is a mount system.  As you can see, a mount is simple and cheap.  The stopwatch was like $6 bucks.  I think the Poor Man’s Dyno is a great tool, and it’s cheap.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 12/30/19 at 07:40:54

Awesome DBM!!
Thanks for sharing!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 01/08/20 at 21:36:49

I'm new here, so I just read this. Outstanding post, thank you for sharing this. Your analysis makes sense, and your findings will be really helpful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 05:15:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor Man's Dyno - Excellent Tuning Tool

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.