Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does this count as Government freebies? (Read 27 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Does this count as Government freebies?
12/27/19 at 08:05:01

https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/Pa...

Military/LEO and Civilian Federal employees are now granted 12 weeks of paid leave for maternity reasons starting October 2020.  

The question is does this count as a Government freebie?  It is US tax dollars being used to pay a person who is not working.  Should this be a thing?  Is it different just because they are employed?  Should all legal US citizens get 12 weeks paid leave?  Should no one?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Does this count as Government freebies?
Reply #1 - 12/27/19 at 08:23:04

I think it should be even more, that a parent is home with the child.

I read a report, sorry, I forget where, I guess I could try and find it, if you like, but it showed a study how important it is, for a certain time frame, I forget just how long it was, but it showed those children who had a parent in their lives at this critical time, were better adjusted, more self assured, less likely to have insecurity issues, etc.....

Can you imagine if we supported such, how much money, time, energy, etc, it would save in the long run as these issue splay out in destructive ways upon society?

BTW, the government has always promoted what it deems a good societal  practice, I will use the tax code, as a example, being married has better benefits than being single....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 12/27/19 at 08:27:49

Just a quick search, had lots of links, this is just a sample....

At-Home Parents Benefit Older Kids, Not Just Younger Ones
A 2014 study found that the benefits of having a parent at home extend beyond the early years of a child's life.1 In the study, the educational performance of 68,000 children was measured. They found an increase in school performance all the way to high school-aged children. The biggest educational impact in their research was found on kids ages 6 and 7.

Most homeschoolers also have an at-home parent instructing them. A compilation of studies provided by the National Home Education Research Institute shows a number of statistics that support the importance of a parent at home for educational reasons. For example, some research has found homeschoolers generally score 15 to 30 percentile points above public school students on standardized tests and they're achieving above-average scores on the ACT and SAT tests.

Whether you're an at-home parent homeschooling your child or you're simply there when she gets off the bus after school, more studies are finding a parent at home is giving children an academic edge over their peers without a parent at home. Regardless of whether you stay home or work, research shows that parent involvement in schools makes a difference in a child's academic performance and how long she actually stays in school.2

Studies Link Kids in Child Care With Behavioral Problems
Good news for stay-at-home moms knee-deep in diapers and temper tantrums. Two studies state you being home with your children during those early stages is better for your kids than them being in childcare full-time. The studies from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Institute of Child Development of the University of Minnesota found that children who spend a large amount of their day in daycare experienced higher stress levels and aggression as opposed to those who stayed home.3 Follow-up research seven years after the original study confirmed those findings still held true.

That doesn't mean you have to keep your children locked in your house until they're ready to go to school. There are many childcare options SAHMs can use to get a break without committing to a daycare. Look for a Mom's Day Out or babysitting co-op to let your kids play with others while giving you some much-needed time alone.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 12/27/19 at 08:45:01

My neighbor is a cop, in fact I live between 2 cops, would have been 4 cops, cop, cop, me, cop, cop except the last cop quit. Anyway I digress, this is the second time I'm living next to a cop, previous time was in CA 20 yrs ago. And the guy never leaves the house. His cop car sits right by the fence literally pointing at my house. The CA guy used to leave in his car 8 am and return in the squad car 1/2 hr later and leave at the EOD and return in his car, sometimes he'd just keep the squad car for days, parked right across my house.
My tax $$$$ are hard at work protecting me I guess.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 12/27/19 at 09:07:04

srinath wrote on 12/27/19 at 08:45:01:
My neighbor is a cop, in fact I live between 2 cops, would have been 4 cops, cop, cop, me, cop, cop except the last cop quit. Anyway I digress, this is the second time I'm living next to a cop, previous time was in CA 20 yrs ago. And the guy never leaves the house. His cop car sits right by the fence literally pointing at my house. The CA guy used to leave in his car 8 am and return in the squad car 1/2 hr later and leave at the EOD and return in his car, sometimes he'd just keep the squad car for days, parked right across my house.
My tax $$$$ are hard at work protecting me I guess.

Cool.
Srinath.

WOW....you could prolly walk to the donuts shop, it must be close....  Huh

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/27/19 at 09:16:23

raydawg wrote on 12/27/19 at 09:07:04:
WOW....you could prolly walk to the donuts shop, it must be close....  Huh

NOOOoooo, I really wish, love em things, now I am walking distance from McD, Taco Bell, Wendy's, KFC, sammich shop, Chinese - in fact 3+ of those, autoparts stores X 5 a bunch more, Kroger ,2X gas stations, liquor store but no donut shop.

BTW when I lived in Livermore CA (same place as cop who was at home 24X7) - there was a one off mom/pop donut shop something like John's donuts, where there always was 2 or more cop cars at any given time.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/27/19 at 09:25:55

I lived with a cop that worked from home and had a squad car.

He worked in local internet fraud and abuse.  Dealt a lot with child prostitution and stolen items sales.

Are you sure the one near you is supposed to be on patrol somewhere and isn't part of the tech enforcement?  I know my roommate got some flak from people that said their tax dollars weren't supposed to be used for him to sit at home all day, even though they were.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 12/27/19 at 10:42:29

Eegore wrote on 12/27/19 at 09:25:55:
I lived with a cop that worked from home and had a squad car.

He worked in local internet fraud and abuse.  Dealt a lot with child prostitution and stolen items sales.

Are you sure the one near you is supposed to be on patrol somewhere and isn't part of the tech enforcement?  I know my roommate got some flak from people that said their tax dollars weren't supposed to be used for him to sit at home all day, even though they were

The CA ones were in 2000/01 I'll guess nope.
This one now is a little county PD guy, my guess, no. But not sure.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 06:27:08

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Does this count as Government freebies?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.