Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another cafe racer build (Read 116 times)
peejster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seattle, WA
Another cafe racer build
12/24/19 at 15:03:13

I am starting my Ryca inspired build. I say Ryca inspired because even though I didn't purchase a Ryca kit, it was an newspaper article about the CS-1 years ago that got me started down this path. There is a lot I like about the CS-1 but there were some things I wanted to do differently so this build is a bit of a hybrid.

I decided to do a build thread for two reasons. First, I am sure I will need some help and advice along the way so I thought that the thread would be helpful for people to figure out how I ended up where I did when I asked for help. Second, even though I estimate less than 40 hours of effort in the build, I suspect it will take me about 6 to 9 months to complete so the thread will help me remember how I ended up where I did when I pick the project back up months later.

I don't think that I will break any new ground as far as the community is concerned. But, it will all be new ground for me as this is the first time I am customizing a motorcycle and probably the most involved project I have undertaken in general.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Oh, my starting point is a 2003 LS650 with 2,614 miles on it.

All photos are in a Google album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBYqWmM5XwS2oPC97

IMG_20190120_161248.jpg

2003 Suzuki LS650 with 2800 miles
  IP Logged
peejster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seattle, WA
Re: Another cafe racer build
Reply #1 - 12/24/19 at 15:15:32

I actually purchased the bike in January 2019 and got it stripped down within a couple of weekends. Now, 11 months later, I am going to start building it back up.

My first task which I completed last week was to lower the front forks. I built my own locking tool with a threaded rod and a coupler welded to one end and a nut welded to the other. It worked pretty well.

I purchased a 12" aluminum tube (same dimensions as schedule 40 PVC) for about $3.50 and cut two 2" spacers.

The forks are now back together. Before I attach them, I want to sort out my front turn signals and handle bars so that I won't have to remove the forks again if I decide to mount everything to the fork tubes. (I think that I have decided to reuse the original headlight and use it's existing mount on the lower triple tree.)

IMG_20191217_152343.jpg

IP Logged
peejster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 12/24/19 at 15:16:31

Here are my 2" aluminum spacers.

IMG_20191217_132129.jpg

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 12/24/19 at 15:21:42

Looks like a lot of fun in your future.  Im sure youll get lots of help here. Some good, some crazy, but most people are well meaning.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 12/24/19 at 18:52:33

I like to see deviation from the way Ryca as done things ,they have made some mistakes.

« Last Edit: 12/26/19 at 10:29:23 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/25/19 at 07:11:09

batman wrote on 12/24/19 at 18:52:33:
I like to see deviation from the way Ryca as done things ,thet have made sum mistakes.

More like they're a parts and labor selling operation IMHO. and that in the wrong situation.
For example, instead of getting one of those Chinese tanks in the kit they want to cut and weld yours. Turns a $50 into an $800 job. Worse yet, IMHO what keeps this bike form handling worth a darn is that massive steering offset at the triples. Their solution doesn't even get close to it, instead it adds more weight and parts onto the triples.
Now a business based on used parts isn't feasible, so my idea of slapping on a GSXR or some such FE isn't viable for someone who wants to make 100's of bikes, if not more a year. But some of their solutions just don't make best use of market availability of new parts, again they did this in 2012, who knows what was available then I guess.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/27/19 at 03:31:18

If you're using one of those generic ebay tanks - those Chinese ones from $30 up - let me know what you used etc and the clearance to the fork legs.
I seem to be obsessing about fitting a lower offset Front end onto this bike.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 01:46:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another cafe racer build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.