Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Democrats weakness on Russia (Read 35 times)
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
Democrats weakness on Russia
12/23/19 at 07:23:02

I'm a little confused about the Democratic response to Russian aggression. This is probably a result of my own innocence/ignorance.

Why aren't the democrats running on grinding Putin's nuts into powder? They could ramp up the rhetoric pretty quickly. Start promising to dump any Russian sovereign debt we hold. Promise to rain hell upon the Russian separatists in Crimea and Ukraine. Explain the vulnerability of pipelines and how unfortunate it would be if Europe had to switch to our tankers if anything happens to the Russian lines. Promise to seize any real estate holdings even suspected of being part of Russian money laundering.

Putin would have to react. And he's got about the same credibility as Trump right now with all the brutality he's sponsored.

If he goes all in on Trump, and I suspect he would, that reinforces the perception that he's Trump's boss.

Trump would be forced to choose between getting closer to Putin or pissing him off and who knows what will happen if he pisses him off.

I don't see a downside.

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Democrats weakness on Russia
Reply #1 - 12/23/19 at 07:59:20

Threatening violations of WTO treaties, and war against a UN member to resolve our political issues at home isn't exactly the first choice I'd imagine.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 12/23/19 at 08:38:55

NHLycan wrote on 12/23/19 at 07:23:02:
I'm a little confused about the Democratic response to Russian aggression. This is probably a result of my own innocence/ignorance.

Why aren't the democrats running on grinding Putin's nuts into powder? They could ramp up the rhetoric pretty quickly. Start promising to dump any Russian sovereign debt we hold. Promise to rain hell upon the Russian separatists in Crimea and Ukraine. Explain the vulnerability of pipelines and how unfortunate it would be if Europe had to switch to our tankers if anything happens to the Russian lines. Promise to seize any real estate holdings even suspected of being part of Russian money laundering.

Putin would have to react. And he's got about the same credibility as Trump right now with all the brutality he's sponsored.

If he goes all in on Trump, and I suspect he would, that reinforces the perception that he's Trump's boss.

Trump would be forced to choose between getting closer to Putin or pissing him off and who knows what will happen if he pisses him off.

I don't see a downside.

I agree - they almost all seem to be under putin's influence, and they're railroading some of their own for being putin's puppet (Tulsi) I sadly suspect the ones that are capable of independent thought and not beholden to corporate interests will get railroaded again.

Seriously starting to like someone in the pre primary stage = a way to get screwed multiple times.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/23/19 at 09:47:52

I don't see a downside.

So your real question is why don't the Democrats suspend any thoughts of the implications to the nation when there's an opportunity to improve their party's political standing?

This sounds familiar.....where have I heard this before....?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 12/23/19 at 10:49:40

WebsterMark wrote on 12/23/19 at 09:47:52:

I don't see a downside.

So your real question is why don't the Democrats suspend any thoughts of the implications to the nation when there's an opportunity to improve their party's political standing?

This sounds familiar.....where have I heard this before....?

What implications to the nation ???? You do understand Russia is about as influential to the US as lets say for lack of a better country - Indonesia right ? Irrelevant to the core - atleast not till you count NAFTA which wont pay their fair share and Russia squeezes them, and in that case much like Obama did, happily throw the Europeans under the bus … Ofcourse the only country in NAFTA that was worth anything and of interest to Russia was Ukraine and specifically Crimea, which he happily threw to the wolves, and declared, if he goes anywhere else, we'll change his calculus by inducing some nuanced crap by producing some sanctions or some smelly gas or something like that.

I don't see any other problem or implications.

BTW the whole impeachment and Russia and Ukraine crap IMHO is a cover up for the fact democrats lost Ukraine and Crimea. But lets not drag that into here.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 12/23/19 at 13:34:30

Perhaps it's not clear but this is predicated on the belief that Russia under Putin is America's enemy and needs to be curtailed. Apologies if that was unclear.

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 12/23/19 at 13:43:10

NHLycan wrote on 12/23/19 at 13:34:30:
Perhaps it's not clear but this is predicated on the belief that Russia under Putin is America's enemy and needs to be curtailed. Apologies if that was unclear.

Well Russia has no influence except where Crimea and Ukraine were concerned. Most other ex USSR countries where Russia held sway has no value. So Russia has done the only thing the "enemy" can do and got away with it. You don't think they're coming to occupy Florida now do you ? So that should end the "enemy" situation. They've taken all they care to take right under Obama's nose, and he said if they go somewhere else, they will change his nuance by making him do calculus using smelly gas. If I recall. It was nuanced.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 12/24/19 at 08:27:37

BTW the whole impeachment and Russia and Ukraine crap IMHO is a cover up for the fact democrats lost Ukraine and Crimea. But lets not drag that into here.

Reading the above I couldn't help but think this mindset is one of our nations greatest obstacles, to overcome......

The offense should never blame the defense, for losing a football game....
Their are two sides to the football, and both sides need to play as a team if expecting to win with any surety at all.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 06:21:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Democrats weakness on Russia

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.