Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch replacement now overheating (Read 151 times)
J cooley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Clutch replacement now overheating
Reply #15 - 12/18/19 at 10:15:47

There is play in the lever, and yes its between the two marks on the case. I soaked the plates in the same type of motorcycle oil that I used when I did the oil job.

As far as the clutch pushrod, is that something that should be changed out due to usage? It is the stock pushrod.

Im very curious why its only happening when Its at running temp and why its only under hard acceleration on the Freeway (example to pass)

If it was a clutch cable being out of adjustment wouldn't the symptom be a constant and not just after its been running? Along with the pushrod?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/18/19 at 11:53:26

As things heat up, if you do not have sufficient free play, you may loose it.
Try adding some more at the handle bar.
But if the throwout cam in the cover is already bottomed out, you're DOA.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 12/18/19 at 23:25:43

There must be play in both levers, the lever on the handlebars, and the lever on the clutch cover.

The required pushrod length is determined by the lever alignment with the marks on the engine case.  Shorter pushrod results in lever being higher, longer pushrod results in lever being lower.  You select the pushrod that puts your clutch cover lever centered between the marks on the engine case.  If you are between the marks, your pushrod length is OK. 

What sort of plates and springs did you install?  Genuine Suzuki or some sort of aftermarket product?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
J cooley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/19/19 at 09:04:24

I installed:
Redline Clutch kit PN: 15-3359
Clutch Springs: PN: 15-1724
Suzuki Steel Clutch Plates PN: 614496

I took it for a nice ride yesterday to get a better understanding on what is going on. Heres all I can give.

rode fine on the highway for about 5-7 miles. No slipping or issues. After it was warmed up and had been sitting at a light i got up past 50 and started slipping under 80% throttle. There is plenty of slack now in the lever, it seems to have plenty of play in it.

Is the arm going into the casing supposed to be able to move forward and backward? It can move about an eighth of an inch out from the case.

It doesn't seem to be overheating either. I rode it hard and though it slips there doesn't seem to be any difference in the motorcycle. If i switched out the OEM clutch with an aftermarket, does that mean that I should possibly get a different pushrod installed? I would have thought it would have been compatible with the stock pushrod. If so, where do I purchase one? Im guessing I need a larger one. When I adjust the clutch cable it seems to want to naturally have the clutch arm a little higher in the clearance.

Anyone of you savages in Austin and want some free beer to look at this darn thing Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 12/19/19 at 10:05:56

Armen wrote on 12/17/19 at 11:22:54:
Srinath,
On a 4 stroke roller bottom end, the crank is most certainly pressure lubed. Look at the oiling diagram in the manual. Oil comes in through the right side cover into the right end of the crank
The oil that flies off the crank splashes onto the cylinder walls, so less oil to the crank would mean less on the cylinder walls, which would make for hotter running.

I'll have to look at either the split motor or the oiling diagram in the manual again, but this isn't the same as the crank being pressure lubed. The plain bearings in a plain bearing crank has a pressure feed in every one of those. That is where it needs to retain film strength, and the oil pressure is what helps that happen. Roller bearings also get splash off lube.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:49:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch replacement now overheating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.