Send Topic Print
Impeachment boomerang (Read 215 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Impeachment boomerang
12/05/19 at 06:50:40

If impeachment for abuse of power fails in the Senate, can the House leaders who pushed for it be impeached for.....abuse of power?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Impeachment boomerang
Reply #1 - 12/05/19 at 07:26:02

By who?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 12/05/19 at 07:37:03

WebsterMark wrote on 12/05/19 at 06:50:40:
If impeachment for abuse of power fails in the Senate, can the House leaders who pushed for it be impeached for.....abuse of power?

That was awesome...wasn't it  Grin

He was the only scholar that seemed relaxed, able to converse and dialogue, answering question without appearing to regurgitate preconceived talking points......

What a cluster fruck.

Watch the numbers against impeachment rise after this fiasco.

Just think what a senate hearing will look like......  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #3 - 12/05/19 at 08:26:01

raydawg wrote on 12/05/19 at 07:37:03:
He was the only scholar that seemed relaxed, able to converse and dialogue, answering question without appearing to regurgitate preconceived talking points......

That's not what I saw.  Noah Feldman, of Harvard Law School, was composed, demonstrated both circumstantial and foundational understanding, and though energized by concern, at ease.  

Pamela Karlan, of Stanford Law School, was full of ire, making clear that "relaxed" was not the appropriate response to what she sees as overt Constitutional transgressions, citing cause.   When invited to opine on Obstruction of Justice- outside of her area of expertise -she refused.

Michael Gerhardt, of the University of North Carolina School of Law, was the most sedate of all the panelists, exhibiting levels of relaxation only otherwise obtained by tortoises and the mighty Sequoya.

Jonathan Turley, of the George Washington University Law School, was most definitely comfortable in his role- but was certainly not free from preconceptions... except from those he expressed in recent years in writing, and the last time he testified before Congress on impeachment:

"While there's a high bar for what constitutes grounds for impeachment, an offense does not have to be indictable- serious misconduct or a violation of public trust is enough."

"No matter how you feel about President Clinton- and I don't dislike President Clinton, I voted for President Clinton -no matter how you feel about President Clinton, no matter how you feel about the independent council, by his own conduct, he has deprived himself of the perceived legitimacy to govern.   You need both political and legal legitimacy to govern this nation because the President must be able to demand an absolute sacrifice form the public at a moments notice."

His arguments yesterday, while well presented, were specious, and lacked sincerity, being so completely at odds with his previous testimony before the exact same body.

Let's be clear: Turley supported impeaching Clinton for lying about an affair.   To date, Trump has refused to provide direct testimony- we all know that is because he and everyone around him believes he would either purger himself or provide evidence in support of removal at least, and prosecution likely.

Polls vacillate.   These most recent transgression by the President have seen Republican support for impeaching at over 15%.   Now that has fallen to just bellow 10%.   It seems clear that a portion of those within the Party who care about these offenses are also subject to being influenced by specious argument.

Ray, did you watch all of the testimony? -or only curated excerpts?

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 12/05/19 at 08:35:56

I did not have the luxury of watching all of it......just bits and pieces and highlights.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/05/19 at 08:37:53

I think they should defeat him, then indict him, and jail him, so he cant pardon himself.
How would the "imprisonment" of a president work ? House arrest ? Costing the tax payer what ??? several mil a yr ?

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #6 - 12/05/19 at 08:49:01

raydawg wrote on 12/05/19 at 08:35:56:
I did not have the luxury of watching all of it......just bits and pieces and highlights.

Honest, that.   I suggest your review-to-comment relationship is out of balance in this case.   This instance serves as illustration of the challenge to educating the public on complex matters: without sufficient time and attention, flawed argument and sentimental appeals may trump the record.

srinath wrote on 12/05/19 at 08:37:53:
How would the "imprisonment" of a president work ?

That should be "imprisonment of a former President"- given the present favor of Justice Department memos, the President would need to first be impeached, then removed from office to be prosecuted.   There after, incarceration would most likely be in a Federal Supermax; I suspect that would be somewhat less costly than the life long Secret Service security protection former Presidents enjoy.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 12/05/19 at 09:31:30

Mavigogun wrote on 12/05/19 at 08:49:01:
raydawg wrote on 12/05/19 at 08:35:56:

Honest, that.   I suggest your review-to-comment relationship is out of balance in this case.   This instance serves as illustration of the challenge to educating the public on complex matters: without sufficient time and attention, flawed argument and sentimental appeals may trump the record.

That should be "imprisonment of a former President"- given the present favor of Justice Department memos, the President would need to first be impeached, then removed from office to be prosecuted.   There after, incarceration would most likely be in a Federal Supermax; I suspect that would be somewhat less costly than the life long Secret Service security protection former Presidents enjoy.

Will be more $$ to protect him in supermax. I'd guess there would need to be 2 Secret service for every other criminal. But in any case, I really am going to see the "pardon Donald J Trump" sentence shortly is my feeling.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/05/19 at 09:42:05

"Will be more $$ to protect him in supermax. I'd guess there would need to be 2 Secret service for every other criminal."

What do you mean?  Why on earth would Secret Service ever protect criminals, especially ones in isolation?

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #9 - 12/05/19 at 10:00:09

It doesn't make sense.   It's a sentimental deflection, not a substantive one, so the contents don't really matter.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/05/19 at 10:27:18

What a cluster fruck.

Just think what a senate hearing will look like......  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  

Did Turley say that? I read that comment elsewhere.
I saw about 10 or 15 minutes of the show yesterday. Thought it was a re-run of a Rachel Maddow show.  One thing it did for certain is guarantee an acquittal in the Senate.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #11 - 12/05/19 at 12:09:09

WebsterMark wrote on 12/05/19 at 10:27:18:
I saw about 10 or 15 minutes of the show yesterday. Thought it was a re-run of a Rachel Maddow show.  One thing it did for certain is guarantee an acquittal in the Senate.

You can't in good faith opine over something you, by your own admission, are almost entirely ignorant to- be it a book you didn't read, a play you didn't attend, or a hearing you didn't watch.   There was at least 20 minutes wasted counting votes to Republican Committee member motions made to disrupt the proceedings- one can't brows 10-15 minutes out of several hours of testimony and expect to have a meaningful impression.

We could have a substantive exchange here.    You've expressed a desire to elevate civil discourse, Mark.   It would be great if you would act to realize that condition.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 12/05/19 at 12:23:48

He could afford to have Manafort as his man servant in the big house.

@Mavigogun, it's 'perjure', although when Trump speaks it feel like he's purging his bowels through his face hole, so maybe you're more correct.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 12/05/19 at 13:36:35

WebsterMark wrote on 12/05/19 at 10:27:18:

What a cluster fruck.

Did Turley say that? I read that comment elsewhere.

Yes, he did.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/05/19 at 13:52:37

I think they should defeat him, then indict him, and jail him, so he cant pardon himself.
How would the "imprisonment" of a president work ? House arrest ? Costing the tax payer what ??? several mil a yr ?

Cool.
Srinath.

Secret Service has to guard him for life anyway,... it would probably be cheaper and easier in a prison.
No expensive hotel bills...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 08:20:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Impeachment boomerang

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.