Send Topic Print
Clip on bars (Read 113 times)
Blanco Willy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clip on bars
12/01/19 at 09:15:00

Getting ready to swap stock bars for ryca clip ons but, before I even start I was thinking the longer throttle,brake,and clutch line might need to be modified ( i.e shortened). I know I'm being lazy and I'm an inexperienced motorcycle owner but, does anyone on here ride with clip ons and stock cable lengths? Couldn't I just reroute all of the cables and lines? Anyways just looking for some experienced advice without a butt chewing.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Re: Clip on bars
Reply #1 - 12/01/19 at 09:24:20

Have you moved the "forward control" footpegs back to a more standard mid-position?  If not, then forward pegs and clip-ons, which will make you reach a bit more fprward and a lot lower, is going to make for a real unnatural body position.  (I assume you're talking about sport bike clip-ons that attach under the top triple clamp ????)

IP Logged
Blanco Willy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/01/19 at 09:31:02

Yes under the triple clamp and no there aren't any mid controls. The ryca mid sets require too many other supporting mods to be used. As for the riding position you are probably right but , it couldn't be much worse than having drag bars. I'm a newb in the motorcycle would so you'll have to cut me some slack.

IP Logged
Blanco Willy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/01/19 at 09:40:11

Just looked at it and the only one that looks like it needs shortening is the throttle cable. All the others look manageable.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 12/01/19 at 10:33:18

The throttle cable could be used if run around the rear of the carb before attaching to it.  Drag bars would be higher, and if placed on short risers or stock ones , would be a much more comfortable riding position as forward lean,  while still present ,would be reduced to a level you could "live" with.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Blanco Willy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/01/19 at 10:45:11

This is what I'm shooting for. Taller rear shocks,clip ons, front maybe lowered. This is pretty darn close to what where I want mine to be.

a9e3167249740183647e89eb2ea39cae--suzuki-savage-savages.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 12/01/19 at 11:47:51

Those forks have been lowered to the point being dangerous. There is only about an inch of travel remaining. That bike looks like it was built for show, not for go.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Blanco Willy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/01/19 at 11:52:01

I can see that. If I go that route I'll be trying out the DC triple clamp. No spacers required.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 12/01/19 at 14:21:19

The DC triple lets you safely lower the front end and still maintain full fork travel. I've got both the ryca and dc on 2 bikes, 30mm lower works great, quickens steering. cheers! Cool

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 12/02/19 at 06:25:58

zipidachimp wrote on 12/01/19 at 14:21:19:
The DC triple lets you safely lower the front end and still maintain full fork travel. I've got both the ryca and dc on 2 bikes, 30mm lower works great, quickens steering. cheers! Cool
-----------------

Only safe if you don't bottom the forks out into the lower triple clamp!!!  Meaning that they are not a free pass to lower the front end as much as you want.  You can safely lower the bottom triple clamp about 2" or 50mm.  Any more than that could cause the fork lowers to hit the lower clamp.  

I wouldn't recommend measuring the fork tube at the top clamp because the tubes don't reach the top of the stock clamp and the aftermarket clamp might be slightly different.   It's best to remove the fork springs and confirm the lowers don't interfere with the triple clamp ween bottomed out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:31:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clip on bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.