Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black Friday - scored a bargain on a 120 gig drive (Read 124 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Black Friday - scored a bargain on a 120 gig drive
11/29/19 at 13:32:58

Went to Best Buy and fought the Black Friday crowds to buy 2 each 120 gigabyte SSD drives by Piny, tiny cute little 2.5 inch laptop drives actually.
SATA 3 speeds, 2 million hours of use life supposedly.  

Black Friday price was $17.99 each

I popped one into my oldest Linux box, which is old enough that it only will support SATA 2 speeds which the little drive also does jest fine, so the little drive did great as my bootable drive and the old Dell machine feels like 3x faster than it used to be and 10 times faster when installing updates, etc.

I velcro'd the little drive into place on top of the existing platter hard drive since it weighs nothing and a proper Dell drive adapter for it would cost as much as the little drive itself did on Black Friday sale.

Linux is EASY compared to Windows, I was done with the upgrade in 10 minutes and had the software all installed in another 20 minutes (most of which was copying bookmarks over and tuning all the setting to be the way I like them).

This was the best bang for the bucks pure speed upgrade I have ever done on a computer.  

EVER.

Wink

« Last Edit: 11/29/19 at 22:13:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Black Friday - scored a bargain on a 120 gig d
Reply #1 - 11/29/19 at 20:34:48

I didn't even know they still sold 2.5 SSDs that size.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/29/19 at 21:58:21

Yes, drive sizes have certainly gotten huge lately, generally speaking.   Piny has been selling off their older stock, they moved their 80 gig SSD stocks out last month (for 20 something dollars) but 80 gigs of SATA 2 was no real improvement to my eyes.   120 gigs of SATA 3 for less money, oh yes I will go wait through the lines.

SATA by itself is getting to be an old standard now.   Most fast modern machines use M.2 stick drives (and have the slots for them). but all machines have SATA cable connectors and matching cables because that runs all the DVD drives and spinning platter drives, so the use of SATA 3 cable standard is still with us for a while.

SATA 3 drives at 120 gigs (running at 3 gbs back compatible speed) is still a sizable improvement to me.   I ran Linux Mint on an 80 gig mechanical hard drive and all my entire everything can fit inside of 20 gigs of that 80 gig space very easily, except for the Steam Games which a single game can eat up as much room as all the rest of the OS uses simply because games are such HUGE things.

Using a new SATA 3 drive because it is back compatible to all the SATA cables on all the older machines out there makes it a bit of a recommend item that can "drop in" for most of us.  

Make sure your machine has SATA 2 or SATA 3 support on the motherboard before buying SATA drives, of course.   Go back another generation into the wide floopy ribbon cables and you can't use an SSD at all on those machines.

« Last Edit: 12/04/19 at 07:15:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 12/01/19 at 14:08:54

Old;  my Mint 18.3 box is showing signs of slowing down/freezing. The box is 5 yrs old, is there a way to fix this without buying a new box????  
box has haswell 3.4 ghz, msi lga 1150 MB, 4gb ddr1333 dimm ram
cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/01/19 at 17:34:18

Congratulations ------- you have an Intel processor.

Because you have Intel Inside, you now get to experience all the slowdown joys of mitigating all the various flavors of Intel Predictive Processing Illnesses, something that supposedly sped you up by 5-10% when Intel first did it but is now slowing you down by 25% (or more depending on the task you are doing).

A dodge I read about is folks going back to much older versions of Mint that they kept the DVDs for.  This trick is not without its own built-in flaws as some of your stuff requires the more modern software versions and drivers that are included in the best most current Mint revisions.   Plus, you will sit exposed to the Intel Predictive exploits that already are out in the wild, plus all the new ones being invented weekly.

For example, at Linux Mint 18.3 you are two revisions behind on the current Linux kernel.   You might try getting current as on your Mint Version as Linus and the boys have actually fixed (fixed inside Linux itself) some of the things MS and Intel were writing some very bad clumsy early mitigations for, mitigations that actually made things worse (if you can believe that).

This whole thing is a "dammn if you do, dammn if you don't" situation,  but since we both have Intel based machines we will try to get it all to continue working a decent enough speeds.  

Try getting current with your Linux Mint and see if that fixes anything.

Fair warning .........

If you are still dual booting be aware that Intel and MS will load your machine up at night with "predictive bug fixes" on the Windows side that slow the whole machine down to no end.

Consider getting rid of the dual boot and going with 100% Linux.   Get a brand new current installation DVD and when you install it tell it to let Mint have the whole drive.

If you must stick with Windows, then you are in the same boat as my wife, suffering endless aggravation and ever increasing slowness.

« Last Edit: 12/02/19 at 02:11:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 12/01/19 at 18:26:21

Old; I bought my box with no OS installed and put Mint on when I got it home( lots of small chinese dealers this neck of the woods for barebone etc stuff)
Mint usually asks me to take a chance and install revised kernels, but so far I have resisted.  I've never dual booted!
Slowing started about a month ago, deleting e-mails gives me what looks like a hamster cage as a cursor and it just keeps spinning, nothing happens.
Ideas? or a new box? ($400)
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 12/02/19 at 02:07:08

Let's assume the worst, that you have some sort of equipment slowly failing.   Do you have an old hard drive of the same type that is in the machine now that you can use to swap out for testing purposes?

I keep the old drives around, and have stuck one into a sick machine for testing (result was it ran the old OS version at the same speed as it did before, but it indicated the sick drive needed a full Mint install off a DVD and to be allowed to totally re-format the faster sick drive while doing so.

Before doing all this, reboot your internet access hardware and your router and your machine one more time so your entire system has gotten a fresh boot on all items.

There are lots of boxes serially involved in your computing experience after all, and "waiting endlessly" can come from any of them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 12/02/19 at 02:14:36

What sort of boot drive are you using?  How full is that drive right now?  If the drive is almost totally full you have found your problem -- delete something sizable and see if the problem goes away.

Why do this?   I turned on the Snapshot tool once and let it fill my hard drive completely up with way too many backup snapshots such that the drive was struggling to do its normal business because it was verging on out of room.  A normal machine can only store 1-2 snapshots if it has an old style normal hard drive that is already verging on crowded anyway.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 12/02/19 at 21:47:25

Old;   HD shows 532 gb free, not a hd problem.
Apart from e-mail and some minor wordprocessing, I just use a pc for Internet.
When I was working, pc was used as a pc, now just web access.  Cool
Maybe like me, it's just gettin' old !!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/03/19 at 20:06:34

If you are just using it for internet, reboot all the boxes paying attention to the various little trouble lights to see if you get any error flashes during reboot.   The "forever flashing delay" box will take forever to boot up .......

Next, speed test your connection up and down.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Last thought, if all of this comes up good, your ISP provider may be having issues apart from you --- or the actual web service you are contacting that is giving you the "flashing forevers" can also be at fault.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 12/04/19 at 04:13:10

speedtest;  ping 10ms, download 16.07mbps, upload 1.58mbps
the test identified the wrong internet provider?????
Cheers! Cool
ps; the slowdown is intermitent, just when I want it fast!!!!!!!  rats Angry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 12/04/19 at 07:04:13

Contact your internet provider or ISP service and ask for a technician to come out and troubleshoot your box.   Talk to him while he is there, try to understand where he thinks the problem lies.

He may find the problem is upstream to you, once I had a phone company tech tell me he knew my neighborhood had a bad switch (large router box on the ground at the mouth of the neighborhood) and he and other techs had identified that a replacement switch was needed.

I started complaining using these terms and asking for at least a week a month of refund due to "no service due to bad hardware" and sure enough, they replaced the switch inside 6 months.    I still changed services when my discount period ran out, because THE PHONE COMPANY SUCKS with all their little rapist charges for this and that.   Plus their equipment is 20 years old, at least.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 10:03:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Black Friday - scored a bargain on a 120 gig drive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.