raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Why......????
11/27/19 at 17:27:13

Look at this article, read it.

Why do democrats change, either before, or in my case, after I voted for Obama, his first term, he changed after getting elected.....

Who really is in charge of the democrat party?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/11/how-cory-booker-blew-it/602...

I do not know Booker at all, but this "before" he ran guy, seems way better, than what I did see, in his campaigning/debate.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Why......????
Reply #1 - 11/28/19 at 06:23:42

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-booker-breaks-from...

Ray, saw the article above this morning. One other thing about Booker, I heard him basically say if you are not including nuclear power in your equations to address CO2 levels in the atmosphere, you can't be taken serious.

Data centers consume 2% of all energy and doubling every 4 years, and that's assuming growth remains the same. I saw calculations where a single Google search requires the same amount of energy as it takes to power a 60watt bulb for 17 seconds. How accurate those estimates are is perhaps up for debate but the idea we're going to respond to a growing demand for energy AND achieve dramatically lower CO2 levels without nuclear is not debatable.

Booker, like Klobuchar, had their chance to stake out common sense positions at the beginning of the campaign. But if you recall, at the beginning, the Mod Squad was in full bloom. AOC and gang dressed in all white at the State of the Union, Green New Deal was being discussed as a serious proposal, the promise of Mueller destroying Trump was taken as fact. If you were a Democrat and didn't come out just this side of Lenin, forget it, you weren't going anywhere.

Now they're going to have to back peddle a little or hope the others go down in flames, which is still possible. Booker might still be around a few months from now and acting more like you remember.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/28/19 at 07:16:14

I'll try not to get political - that was what overloaded me in the past, and my views have changed since then as well.
I wont even debate if human caused climate change is real. But every one of the proposals are super $$$ in terms of both time and $$ for the little guy, need super technology scaled at better than linear rates and worse yet, still don't address the problem if one even exists.

They simply should say - no one who needs to not drive to work, should work from home. There is no need to have 1/2 of the IT sector drive in to work be it in CA or NYC or anywhere else. All the crap about buying electric cars and buying electric city busses so everyone can drive 1/2 the distance in the wrong direction to get on the bus, which then ponders along the road electrically making all the other commuters spend more fuel getting around those stupid things … or trains - even worse. Massive infrastructure expense, all so we can burn coal instead of gas - makes the problem worse.

Letting people into the US, where the average emissions per head can be as high as 30X other places like India again stupid idea in terms of Co2.

In effect their 2 favorite proposals will make Co2 emissions worse.

And Greta Thunberg is a clueless hypocrite. Anyone that eats lettuce and not beef prefers to use chemicals to kill weeds, spend labor, fertilizer and definitely CO2.
The greenest food you can eat - weeds - I have several weeks where I would eat weeds growing in my yard. Dandelion, lemony sorrel, clovers,  curly dock, wild onion, wild fennel to name just a few. There are a few million farms that I know of that produce over 70% of the country's meat, and many of them do not use any real feed for their cattle. They let them graze. Cows turn non human food - grass, straw, leaves etc etc into food and milk for people and fertilizer for the soil. Even a cattle feeding operation - huge industrialized farms feed cows with non human spec food - though they do feed them grains grown specifically for them. However, there are many many farms that basically let them graze. I have one I buy from, he says he can get them to slaughter weight in 22-24 months as opposed to 16-18 for the ones in a massive grain fed operation. I pay a tiny bit more but all the $$$ is to help them produce - no middle man.

Brings me to my next point - every commodity on the planet from ass to zebra has a supply chain that is broken beyond repair. The worst examples being chocolate, oil, diamonds. The people that do the work are exploited abused and kept in slavery often for generations, and the ones consuming it are blissfully unaware and overpaying, with none of the benefits going to any of the producers. This is true at varying levels in groceries and meat from supermarkets as well. That has to be fixed before we will ever get a handle on the co2 problem. Try to legislate Co2 and the slaves get the brunt of it, and the consumers get to pay more with no effect on Co2.

See 1 post and off I go on a rant. Anyway 40%+ of my Co2 emission is my commute, and no commuting by bus will not reduce it, it will cost 50-60% up from 40 or so co2 and take 3 more hours out of my day. Worse yet, my home stays heated when I'm out, and the office is heated, lit and humming out co2. If they really think co2 is a problem - they simply need to pass a law saying anyone that can work from home - should. Will also help the lacking infrastructure.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #3 - 11/28/19 at 07:25:51

WebsterMark wrote on 11/28/19 at 06:23:42:
AOC and gang dressed in all white at the State of the Union, Green New Deal was being discussed as a serious proposal, the promise of Mueller destroying Trump was taken as fact. If you were a Democrat and didn't come out just this side of Lenin, forget it, you weren't going anywhere.

Along after you are dust and in the ground, we'll still be confronting the mess we've made of our planet.   Yet, here you are, mocking those who are most vocal in motivating address of the crisis, making absurd comparisons to Lenin.  Of course, you won't have to confront the worst consequences of your choices- you'll leave that for others to confront.    

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 11/28/19 at 13:34:06

Mavigogun wrote on 11/28/19 at 07:25:51:
WebsterMark wrote on 11/28/19 at 06:23:42:
AOC and gang dressed in all white at the State of the Union, Green New Deal was being discussed as a serious proposal, the promise of Mueller destroying Trump was taken as fact. If you were a Democrat and didn't come out just this side of Lenin, forget it, you weren't going anywhere.

Along after you are dust and in the ground, we'll still be confronting the mess we've made of our planet.   Yet, here you are, mocking those who are most vocal in motivating address of the crisis, making absurd comparisons to Lenin.  Of course, you won't have to confront the worst consequences of your choices- you'll leave that for others to confront.    

Did you sell your car?  Do you have solar panels on your house?  Do you use fossil fuels of any kind?  Not good to condemn and complain about others then....

Besides, China has 987 coal power plants and another 121 in production.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #5 - 11/28/19 at 21:50:04

pg wrote on 11/28/19 at 13:34:06:
Did you sell your car?  Do you have solar panels on your house?  Do you use fossil fuels of any kind?  Not good to condemn and complain about others then....

This is the idiotic false choice summoned up by selfish people who won’t be bothered to care and are satisfied with their own lies.   Our choice is not either zero impact or excess: moderation, consideration, forethought, and investment is called for- not self destruction.    We’ve past the point where we can leave deciding how bad things should be allowed to get up to the likes of you, “pg”

Besides, China has 987 coal power plants and another 121 in production.

More non-thinking sophistry.   Our problem is cumulative- the worse we make it, the harder the solutions and the more dire the consequences- regardless of other contributors.   We’re we to put our house in order,  not only would we lessen the devastation, we would be in a much better position to impose trade penalties that favor sustainable production, motivating the likes of China to transform or loose market share.   The Chinese use our withdrawal from playing a leading role in confronting the climate catastrophe to justify their development course.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 11/29/19 at 03:53:54

Mavigogun wrote on 11/28/19 at 21:50:04:
More non-thinking sophistry.  

LMFIFY

I refer to observation as pragmatic objectivity.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/29/19 at 04:29:05

I'm pretty liberal, go back and see some of my posts - long history of them in fact.
I will not deny man made climate change, I'll give Greta Thunberg (AOC etc etc) that.
The solution proposed is utterly terrible.
Just a few points I'd like to make.
Electric cars are not the answer. Not driving to work is the answer. I don't want to cut 40% of my Co2 production to 39% or worse, make it over 40% while incurring 30-40K of expense. I want to cut 40% of my co2 incurring a bunch of savings. And that's not even counting the commuting based infrastructure. Gas stations, parking lots, roads, office heat and light etc etc. I have done this when allowed by my employer. This is the change I want to see, and I wish Greta Thunberg and AOC make it happen.

Eating lettuce isn't the answer. Eating weeds, and feeding inedible plants to animals, and eating them is. Again, I have lived this for a few years. Its pretty good eating dandelion over killing it with roundup, then bringing in soil and planting lettuce, and fertilizing it and putting pesticide etc etc - all of it pretty bad in terms of CO2, worse yet its nutritionally poor and in reality those "organic" ones are even worse for co2. Weeds are the best way to pull co2 out of the air and put them in the soil, which is depleted of carbon. We are at 400 ppm in the air and at 120 in the soil. Soil historically was between 400 and 500, and ideally it can be over 1000. We need to have one problem solve the other problem. Electric car with coal as the mechanism for electricity and "farmed" lettuce is not going to solve either and will make both worse.

These can be implemented with the technology we have now, nothing needs to be built, invented, scaled up etc etc. No one is talking about these. IMHO, the deniers have the upper hand. The climate change accepters (if that's even a word) are proposing solutions that will make it worse and cost everyone a lot of $$$$. Almost like I'm being forced to pollute more while being forced to pay more.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/29/19 at 06:10:04

Srinath is correct in the assessment that a considerably better solution to energy usage is to allow for more remote employment, and to reduce consumption of traditional agriculture goods.

Technology has changed, we can now do a lot of work from home.  Yes there is energy usage from home computing, but on average less than the usage of collective business and transit operations combined.

Weeds, or indigenous plant consumption is a no-brainer, but it is a huge challenge convincing consumers to change their diet.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/29/19 at 06:11:17

If cattle producers could feed weeds to cattle and supply the same quantity and quality, they would have done it already.

Set aside the debate if focusing on co2 as the singular, most harmful of the GW gases, nuclear energy and direct co2 molecule reduction techniques seem for more likely to have an actual impact.

Limiting commuters is a fine idea but on the scale you're talking about would likely exchanges one set of problems for an entirely new set of problems plus a host of ones not even foreseen. When I'm not traveling, I've worked from home for the past ten years. It sounds great and in a lot of ways it is, but it's not for everyone. And consider the social ramifications of reducing human contact by putting more people in cront of a computer screen even more than we do now.

But, on a smaller scale, I'd be in favor of opening up more possibilities for less worker commute. My daughter is an engineer and drives about 40 miles one way. She could easily do her job from home 4 out of 5 days. One day a week in the office would suffice, but right now, it's outside the paradigm for many employers.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #10 - 11/29/19 at 06:50:23

srinath wrote on 11/29/19 at 04:29:05:
Eating lettuce isn't the answer. Eating weeds, and feeding inedible plants to animals, and eating them is.

This statement is completely divorced from science, everything known about the impact and environmental costs of industrial animal production.   It’s just wacky.

WebsterMark wrote on 11/29/19 at 06:11:17:
Set aside the debate if focusing on co2 as the singular, most harmful of the GW gases, nuclear energy and direct co2 molecule reduction techniques seem for more likely to have an actual impact.

There is really no question that CO2 is NOT the “singular, most harmful” contributor- methane is, by many orders of magnitude, on a per-unit basis.   With industrial animal agriculture, we get a huge liability of both methane and CO2- far beyond the liability of delivering plant-based diets.

Back in the early days of nuclear power, the common form was selected from contesting designs in part due to nuclear weapon proliferation concerns- reactors producing waste with radically shorter half-lifes were rejected in favor of reactors that couldn’t easily serve as a seed for weapons production.  These reactors, in addition to waste transmutation reactors, might address the legacy problem of existing capacity: huge amounts of spent fuel and contaminated water, and catastrophic failure.   If fossil fuel power production were priced to reflect liability, nuclear solutions offering needed security and processes absent today might be a financially viable part of our energy solution.   To see this happen will require coordinated legislation impacting diverse parts of the economy.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/29/19 at 07:46:14

Industrial animal production ???? Whos talking about that - that is a terrible way to make meat, and its only about 30% faster and its more $$$ to the middleman. Like I said - broken supply chain. I don't support it.
I routinely buy from meat producers who graze their cattle. I don't think that's all their source of food, I suspect they buy some food, especially when its a bad year. But these cattle I've routinely seen, eat fallen leaves, pine straw, grass and everything else we cant even imagine touching. 70% or so of US farms that grow livestock do this with just a supplemental reliance on "bought" food. And when they buy food, its a drain on their $$, essentially it makes no sense for them to buy it when its available free, so they buy essentially emergency food to get them through the week or month. I think its called BQA certified - look for it and find a farm near you that does it that way.

I've gone weeks without eating store bought leaves or any veggies for that matter. No lettuce, no  spinach, no nothing, salad made entirely with what is in my yard. Sadly I have mowed my yard on occasion, it essentially grows faster than I can eat it.

Most of the research into weeds for food etc etc has been funded by Monsanto - famously the company that defined a weed as something that grows where you didn't plant it. Its pretty much on par with all the diabetes research funded by Coke and pepsi. Its not worth the paper they used to print it nor the time you spent to read it.

Not everyone can work from home, but so many many occupations can. Tellers, salesmen since we already shop a lot online anyway and nearly all IT workers at a minimum. Once their commute hours and related needs gets taken out, lets see how many repair shops and gas stations need to stay open. I don't think we need 6 at every freeway exit. If 1/4th the people are on the road, we can lose 5 of those 6. Its a 10 yr progress that we missed out on.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 11/29/19 at 08:48:11

I think if we are motivated to just argue, prove the others wrong, get heated, lambaste, defend......

The end result is our focus has shifted from worthy endeavors, to improve our world, to shoring up weak self worth.

Energy is more than emissions, it is also the root foundation to opportunities of citizens of this planet, to have a sustainable life, that affords them all the good advances of its technologies, hopefully removing financial burdens, inaccessibility, and greater distribution to all....

Think about all the possibilities, when folks around this world, have easy and stable access to energy, what we might accomplish as a planet of human beings....endless possibilities.

Presently, energy and wealth, do not allow such opportunities, and together they produce a power structure that supports itself, first.

Just think for a moment, with focus on computer technologies, the advances in that power base, over the last few decades.....

Few would have even been able to see such amazing results.

I believe a new energy source is immanent, its part of mans nature, to explore and push his boundaries.....

These folks go out and discover, not sit and argue over failures.

Try being a positive influence in this word, mercy, we already have to much negativity.....

Shocking...huh  Grin  

BTW, how did this thread morph into a energy thread.....????   Huh

srinath...yes, I thought you rode on the left side of the street before, your replies upon your return, had puzzled me, thanks for the explanation....very cool to see people explore their own beliefs, understandings, instead of pushing others to believe as them....THANKS, welcome back  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 11/29/19 at 09:18:38

raydawg wrote on 11/29/19 at 08:48:11:
srinath...yes, I thought you rode on the left side of the street before, your replies upon your return, had puzzled me, thanks for the explanation....very cool to see people explore their own beliefs, understandings, instead of pushing others to believe as them....THANKS, welcome back  Smiley

Hmmm Well I didn't start riding on the right side of the street between my disappearance and now. Metaphorically or otherwise. I left India in 92 and barely been back since.

But the fact remains - I didn't heat my house in India, I didn't drive a car using up 1 gal per 14 miles in India.
As in, I use more gas in 1hr than someone in India would in a month doing the same work. My motorcycle in the 80s got me 70 km/l (150+ a gal).
I am of late trying to not be more efficient when something doesn't even need to be done. If broccoli can be eaten raw and is better for you that way, why would you want to invent a "high efficiency stove" to cook it. That pretty much sums up the electric car argument. If something doesn't need to be done, don't spend a lot of energy trying to be more efficient doing it.

BTW there is one F@(Ktard in my town who insists on driving his retarded Insight at 12mph through the city streets in commute hour. Someone is gonna run that fool off the road one day, and I swear to god, I hope its not me.

90% of my energy use is driving and heating my house. This is why it makes no sense letting people from warm countries into a cold country. Just from the environmental footprint, we could stop all immigration from a warm country and only let people in from cold countries.

I would also say - industrial production of anything is going to be far worse in the co2 aspect than if there was sort of the natural way. One more legislative change can ensure this wont occur. So many acres per head of cattle. Cows eat a lot of things, most things we can not. I cant see how to feed a planet going organic and vegan is going to help the co2 or ch4 cause. CH4 can be pulled from cow dung and turned into fuel. That is something my farmer is thinking of, but he says the cows drop turds everywhere, and the next year a massive bush or a bunch of bushes grows out of seemingly nowhere cos one or more cows have taken a dump in that spot. That outweighs the ch4 you can get from that BS LOL. BS used in a positive sense.

I dunno, we in the US eat, heat, drive, burn and light too much. We can legislate our way out of 80% of that easily. That last 20% is where its gonna take technology and innovation.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 11/29/19 at 09:52:59

No, no....wasn't accusing you of riding anywhere, just what I recall of my perception ( of you ).

Your "chosen" lifestyle is commendable, but in reality, not anymore more so than a Christian who believes in Scripture, and tries to live up to its meaning/directions.

But again, I think we don't have to do less, to enjoy more, to reach sustainability.
Wealth allows a large consumption of energy, look at the homes of our media and politician, folk, and look at our universities and schools, sprawling and resource gobbling, yet they preach to the serfs to not bar b que hamburgers.....  Grin

I think conservation has its place, and merits, but it should never be our goals, no....
I believe we will find a perpetual motion, someday....  
Then all the wars, and power, associated with power, will become....moot.

Can I get, a AMEN  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 08:18:22

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why......????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.