Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can someone explain US Senate procedure? (Read 148 times)
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Re: Can someone explain US Senate procedure?
Reply #15 - 11/27/19 at 08:41:53

WebsterMark wrote on 11/27/19 at 08:20:44:
Personally, given the prosperity of our nation today, my opinion is the current system works very well.

38.1 million people live in poverty.
27.5 milion don't have health insurance- including 4.3 million children.
The bottom 25% of households earn less than $22,500 per year- not individually, for the entire household.
We just saw a massive financial crisis centered in our market that disrupted economies around the world, and resulted in a huge shift from home ownership to tenancy.
Entire generations suffer crippling student debt.
The workforce has shrank remarkably as folks withdraw from the market, unable to find sustaining work.
The share of profit afforded workers has fallen well beyond a crisis nexus.

Yet, here's Mark, celebrating how great the system is working-

-for him.    Remember, Mark's declared intent in voting for Trump was to foment war, break the Union.   His idea of a "working" US democracy is aligned with Putin's.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #16 - 11/27/19 at 08:44:38

refresher:  

Democrat Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s frustration over the Republican Party’s behavior since the election brings to mind a famous quote from President Obama following his 2008 win: “Elections have consequences.”

He made the remark in a closed-door meeting at the White House in 2009, where Republicans had hoped to negotiate with him regarding the specifics of his stimulus package in response to the financial crisis. Initially, the president showed interest in what Republicans had to say, but his tone changed when it got down to the nitty gritty.

“Elections have consequences,” he told then number two Republican Rep. Eric Cantor. “And at the end of the day, I won. So I think on that one I trump you.”

The remark reportedly poisoned the well with Republicans, who used it to characterize him as stubborn and unwilling to work with Congress to achieve his objectives. Now almost ten years later, it’s the Democrat Party struggling to deal with the realities of a massive electoral defeat.

Oh how ripe...he used the word trump, I didn't know that....  Shocked

You can rant and call names, be accusatory all you want, its your thing....

I don't like it when either party, or anyone.....does it, period

I was pointing that out to desert rat, not you.....m'kay?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #17 - 11/27/19 at 08:54:51

raydawg wrote on 11/27/19 at 08:33:14:
We should always default to the weakest, whenever possible, that is why we shouldn't rush this stuff along a time frame..... in my opine.

I see- you believe Mitch McConnell and his Republican cronies in the Senate have the interest of the weak and vulnerable at heart when they prevent deliberation.    That sure looks the same as preventing the voice of the weak from being heard, investing a few with the privilege of deciding what can even be discussed.   Reminiscent of Jim Crow, actually.   How long did those evil laws reign due to obstruction by a few in the Senate?

It's a simple thing to appropriate a cloak of principle to swaddle unjust, anti-democratic privilege.   We can't take our cues from patriotic-sounding pablum- look at what people do and the impact instead.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #18 - 11/27/19 at 10:43:15

raydawg wrote on 11/27/19 at 08:33:14:
Well think about this.....

They have lots of issues they must react to, consider.....with many different possibilities, to the outcome.

Faster is not always better, Web gave a example with homeland security....

============================
============================

OK, my example of "ten days" is probably unrealistic.  But there should be some deadline, maybe two months.  That would seem to me long enough to consider all the ramifications of a bill.  But "never", like we have now, is just not right.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/27/19 at 11:35:42

Look at it this way; what if the House passed a bill you thought was horrible and before you knew it or could react, it was law. In that case, you would have wanted a additional review.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #20 - 11/27/19 at 14:08:05

Mark spews more sophistic noise- pragmatic progress tempered by unrushed consideration is not the order of the day.   This all-but-total obstruction of the legislative process is spiteful, contemptuous of the notion of representation and the democratic process.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/27/19 at 16:03:22

I agree there should be a timeline.

Is there any way one can pose a valid argument for getting results from a proposed outcome if the response can be zero for an infinite amount of time?

If a group can ignore for an infinite amount of time anything they want, how efficient can we ever expect that group to be?  And why would we pay them?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #22 - 11/27/19 at 16:10:44

Eegore wrote on 11/27/19 at 16:03:22:
 I agree there should be a timeline.

Is there any way one can pose a valid argument for getting results from a proposed outcome if the response can be zero for an infinite amount of time?

If a group can ignore for an infinite amount of time anything they want, how efficient can we ever expect that group to be?  And why would we pay them?

We already possess that power....its your vote, that is what a vote is all about.

But of course, its you, against me, and they live forevermore, happily....

The words to the song, indoctrination.....  Grin Grin Grin Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/27/19 at 18:04:29

The valid argument is to simply look around at the nation you live; a prosperous nation still abounding with opportunity. That would not be the case if every bill passed on the House was required to be acted on.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #24 - 11/27/19 at 18:24:02

WebsterMark wrote on 11/27/19 at 18:04:29:
The valid argument is to simply look around at the nation you live; a prosperous nation still abounding with opportunity. That would not be the case if every bill passed on the House was required to be acted on.

Mark has just infantilized the electorate, then indulged in that old Southern plantation lord paternal lie of doing the slaves a kindness by saving them from their own impulse.

He's really that broken: a rationalization for every depravity, transgression against his neighbor.     He would not be the first to cite the market as justification for corrupting of democracy, denying representation, core Constitutional rights.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #25 - 11/27/19 at 18:29:05

The House is the people.  People elected those reps.  For the Senate (and really just one man) to tell the people that this bill that was just passed from the House to the Senate is not worthy of any consideration . . . well . . . they might just as well spit on the people.  Either vote on the bill or modify it and send it back to the House.  Doing nothing is an affront -- and wrong.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/27/19 at 18:54:46

People elect the Senate too.

Well, I think we've reached an impasse. I think the system works well. I understand your point however.

Happy Thanksgiving Desert.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 08:15:51

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Can someone explain US Senate procedure?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.