Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Sweet Beemer...
Reply #16 - 12/11/19 at 09:39:41

You see this 1000 lb pig was running across the road going 90 mph man, and I was riding my bicycle, and all of a sudden I saw it and ... voila, its stuck in my frame triangle.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #17 - 12/11/19 at 10:22:06

srinath wrote on 12/11/19 at 09:39:41:
You see this 1000 lb pig was running across the road going 90 mph man, and I was riding my bicycle, and all of a sudden I saw it and ... voila, its stuck in my frame triangle.

Cool.
Srinath.
-------------------

Come on, it's not worse than sitting on an old airplane motor.  haha

Still a cool little build in my book.   Smiley

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 12/11/19 at 10:40:19

ohiomoto wrote on 12/11/19 at 10:22:06:
srinath wrote on 12/11/19 at 09:39:41:

Cool.
Srinath.
-------------------

Come on, it's not worse than sitting on an old airplane motor.  haha

Still a cool little build in my book.   Smiley

darn cool one - but, the oilheads tend to bury that pic.
In the brochure of the R-nine T BMW never put a pic of that angle.
I am not one who calls a motor ugly, and its also not an unsuitable motor for that build, except BMW thinks so - Just IMHO.
Much like my view on those side mount license plates which basically screams to me - we didn't think this through, BMW seems tell me with their selective R Nine T pics "it looks stupid in this angle"
They show that angle just fine on their dressers and even those RSL's, and cruiser BTW.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #19 - 12/12/19 at 07:27:25

Worse than the side mount plates are the modern floating rear bumper plates.  FUGLY!

I prefer a traditional rear fender mounted plate and lights, but I see how some like that clean fender.  It would be nice not to need a plate at all.  

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 12/12/19 at 09:45:00

Oh yea disgusting, BMW actually has a fender that comes out of the swingarm. Again fugggly.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #21 - 12/12/19 at 15:49:40

Perhaps someone can offer some insight as I have no first hand knowledge.  I know beemer's cost a lot and cost a lot to maintain.  Is it worth it, is it smoother, so on so forth?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 12/12/19 at 16:57:59

pg wrote on 12/12/19 at 15:49:40:
Perhaps someone can offer some insight as I have no first hand knowledge.  I know beemer's cost a lot and cost a lot to maintain.  Is it worth it, is it smoother, so on so forth?

Best regards,

Not quite first hand, but my brother owns one, and has owned another one before. both R bikes, now he had the R1200C - AKA Bond bike. The R bikes actually are easy and not too $$$ to maintain. Mostly they also do not break. They also are clean and don't leak oil, don't have a chain and really were well ahead of their comparables, more so in the 80's and 90's than now.
They don't handle especially well, they are only a bit smoother and they have that tendency to push to the right when you accelerate.

They are super clean for their vintage and they last lonnnnnnnnnng without much maintenance, again compared to the other bikes form that era. That's all I can say. A 1980 BMR R 80c will always be cleaner and nicer than a Triumph, Harley, Honda, yamaha, kawi or Suzuki if they were all just used with maintenance to keep em alive till they all got to the 100K - assuming they all got there at the same time.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 12/13/19 at 07:00:19

pg wrote on 12/12/19 at 15:49:40:

Best regards,

In November 2017 I celebrated the end of my full time work career by going to Tucson for 10 days.  I had never ridden a BMW and wanted to know what all the fuss was about - so I rented a R1200RT for 2 days.  If I had just ridden it for an hour or two I might have said......nice bike - but with 2 days in the saddle riding double with my wife, I fell in love with the bike.  I started telling folks that if I ever got a luxury car - it would be that motorcycle.  I bought a lightly used 2016 R1200RT in February 2018, and a year later I bought a used F800GT.

They both are incredibly nice bikes and good used ones are available at affordable prices - the R1200RT is incredibly comfortable, fast, smooth and it has 125 HP, 604 pounds and a lot of low end torque.....for many years it was voted "Best Sport Touring Bike" by motorcycle magazines.  It has all the bells and whistles like heated grips, heated seats, cruise control, electric windshield, traction control, ABS, push button suspension adjustment, and saddlebags and a top box that snap on/off instantly.  The F800GT is 90 HP and 470 pounds - the engine does not have nearly as much low end torque and the power really comes on above 5,000 rpm.  It is more nimble around fast corners, and it has most of the fancy options except the windshield is not adjustable and the seats are not heated.

They both are wonderful to ride, and I have not yet needed to get any service done by a dealer.  Parts for maintenance come from online retailers - as I don't have a dealer within 2 hours.  Parts are a bit more expensive than for Japanese bikes - but most parts aren't needed unless you crash or drop the bike.  I believe the bikes are very reliable and high mileage is not unusual - however if you get a lemon and need a lot of work it can get expensive and those stories get a lot of press.  I don't believe the dealer service is any more expensive than owning a Harley.

I am only 2 years into BMW ownership - but so far so good!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 12/13/19 at 09:45:21

Dave, now that you're a Beemer rider,..
...have learned how to not wave back at other riders?...

Grin Grin Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 12/13/19 at 10:06:16

Bot , It's not just the no wave , he will need to train his neck muscles as to not even look in the general direction of any motorcycles. Except BMWs of course.

Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 12/13/19 at 10:24:14

One day riding thru town on the tracker I found myself at a red light when 8 or 9  H/A pulled up along side of me. Two of them were checking out my bike and gave a thumbs up , while the rest of them wouldn't even look my way. Light turned green and it was a ten bike drag race. What fun,right , I realized they all had 1% patches on and I may have made a life choice by slightly rolling off the throttle and letting them go ahead. It's about respect and any lack there of usually isn't good for your well being !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #27 - 12/13/19 at 10:40:50

LOL Ruttly,

The fact that you even went through the same light with those guys means you get a 98.5% patch.  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 12/14/19 at 11:49:54

Serowbot wrote on 12/13/19 at 09:45:21:
Dave, now that you're a Beemer rider,..
...have learned how to not wave back at other riders?...

Grin Grin Grin

I am not evidently a hardcore BMW owner.

I still wave at everybody - even scooters.  (Scooter riders hardly ever wave back).

I don't have any BMW branded riding gear.....as I could likely buy another used bike for what a jacket/pants/boots/turtleneck would cost!  Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #29 - 12/14/19 at 15:37:10

Dave wrote on 12/13/19 at 07:00:19:
I am only 2 years into BMW ownership - but so far so good!

Thanks for taking the time to post, I think I will keep my V-Strom.

Brst regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:42:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Sweet Beemer...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.