Send Topic Print
carb questions (Read 224 times)
roddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

carb questions
11/15/19 at 18:40:11

hi. i'm back. my s 40 does act like it is misfiring at just off idle. it gets better after warm up. i have been reading about the white spacer, number 4 washers etc. did the s 40 run like that off the show room floor? and if so, why did they not fix it? mine also has a slight backfire when i turn off the bike. any comments? thanks to all that have offered help, Roddy

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: carb questions
Reply #1 - 11/15/19 at 19:06:32

Yes, the S40 runs like that right off the showroom floor.  It's the old hiccup, pop & shudder.  The factory sets them up on the ragged edge of lean.  Generally, once the engine is fully warmed up they run acceptable, but I wouldn't define the as-delivered operation as "good".  

You will be pleasantly surprised with just how much better it runs with the idle mixture screw adjusted properly and the jet needle raised a bit by thinning the spacer.  It really is like night & day.

Good luck.  Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/15/19 at 19:14:59

1st, I'd clean the carb.
Your hesitation maybe a clogged main jet.

WWW   IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/15/19 at 20:16:43

The Savage/S40 starts, idles, sounds and runs horrific in stock form. That's why the battery in this little 650 single is bigger than the one in my 1700cc V-twin. Open air intake, open exhaust, and generously jetted carb wakes it up into a pretty fun little romper that'll start in just one rotation off a battery 1/3 the size. Happy modding.

IP Logged
roddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/18/19 at 08:40:17

thanks for the info. seems like buyers would pregnant dog to hi heaven with a new bike that stumbles like it does. i will try your fix and thank you again for the info....ps the seat is a little short haha

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 11/18/19 at 09:47:42

I don't think the battery has anything to do with the jetting. The starting nature of the the Savage (or any engine for that matter) has to do with the force (a factor of volume and compression ratio) the starter motor has to overcome, the motor used in the starter (diameter, length, and number of winds) as well as the reduction gear ratio used in the starter motor gear train.

There is no correlation between the two.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/18/19 at 11:06:18

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/18/19 at 09:47:42:
I don't think the battery has anything to do with the jetting. The starting nature of the the Savage (or any engine for that matter) has to do with the force (a factor of volume and compression ratio) the starter motor has to overcome, the motor used in the starter (diameter, length, and number of winds) as well as the reduction gear ratio used in the starter motor gear train.

There is no correlation between the two.

Just observation there, Chief. In stock form it takes about 2-3 seconds or 5-6 rotations to get a Savage started, and it's not at all difficult to drain that big battery if it's having any trouble at all getting going. After stage 3 mods it starts after just one rotation and I'm using a battery 1/3 the size (the battery specified for the Raptor) on my bobber builds. Suzuki engineers must have spec'd that gargantuan hunk of lead and acid for some reason, it's not as if the electrical system on an S40 is complicated or demanding in any respect. I understand what you're saying as I have an Associates and Bachelors in Electronics, but the only reason that battery has to be so big is for capacity since the starter has to spin the motor gratuitously to finally start in the very poorly jetted stock form. Get the engine tuned correctly and the need for all that reserve capacity evaporates.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 11/18/19 at 11:58:00

Well, I'm a little slow, being that I only have a BS in Aerodynamics, so you'll have to bear with me.

What are "stage 3" mods? Either a bike is jetted properly or it's not. I usually make that happen in a single stage.

The physical "size" of a battery doesn't mean crap. The chemistry and density are what matter. The Lithium battery (4.250x3.375x2.250) I have in my bike(s) spin the starter much faster then the lead-acid boat anchor that was removed. Glass mat (AGM) is also a superior to the lead-acid battery that comes standard in the Savage.

Just my experience, Chief.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/18/19 at 12:33:43

Let's stay on message.
For those that can, take a ride.
For those that can't, Easy rider.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 11/18/19 at 12:45:32

verslagen1 wrote on 11/18/19 at 12:33:43:
Let's stay on message.

Well, alrighty then.

Roddy, can you give us some information about your bike such as, year, mileage, modifications? Is this a bike that is used a few times a week or a bike that sits for months at a time? Can you describe the misfiring?

Also know that a carbureted bike will typically run poorly when cold. Jetting is changed to improve throttle response with a warm engine. You typically don't rejet to improve cold engine performance.

IP Logged
roddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/18/19 at 17:09:40

hi. thanks for the message. my bike has 5600 miles and it's a 2012. no modifications. carb was rebuilt by the seller 2000 miles ago. there are no marks on any boltheads indicating to me it has never been worked on except for a new tire and oil filter i ride on both hiway and streets. the misfiring is tolerable but if it can be easily fixed, i'd like to apply it to my bike. thanksagain, roddy

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 11/18/19 at 17:27:51

So a misfire can be from something as simple as a fouled spark plug or old fuel. However with that said, US S40's are jetting lean from the factory to pass US emission requirements.

Given that the bike has been ridden 800 miles a year since new, there is a good chance that the carb could use a simple cleaning. When the carb is being cleaned is a good time to review the jets installed and determine if you want to make an adjustment. You mention that the carb has already been serviced. It's possible that the jets were changed at this time, so a cleaning would give you the opportunity to see what jets are currently installed in the carb.

Also, if you have contemplated any changes to the exhaust or intake, you would need to rejet anyway. So maybe this is a good time to inspect the carb and make mods.

There are quite a few good posts in the Technical Reference section (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927) on removing the carb. Read those threads and if it's something you want to undertake, we can walk you through it.

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/18/19 at 19:13:11

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/18/19 at 11:58:00:
Well, I'm a little slow, being that I only have a BS in Aerodynamics, so you'll have to bear with me.

What are "stage 3" mods? Either a bike is jetted properly or it's not. I usually make that happen in a single stage.

The physical "size" of a battery doesn't mean crap. The chemistry and density are what matter. The Lithium battery (4.250x3.375x2.250) I have in my bike(s) spin the starter much faster then the lead-acid boat anchor that was removed. Glass mat (AGM) is also a superior to the lead-acid battery that comes standard in the Savage.

Just my experience, Chief.

I'll use smaller words with fewer syllables...

Stage 3 means unrestrictive intake, unrestrictive exhaust, and requisite jetting. Pretty much everything one can do without opening the engine and changing the innards. I'm aware of the differences between old school lead acid, SLA, AGM, Gel, and Li-Ion batteries. I like Anti-Gravity batteries very much but that price tag can be tough for some customers to swallow, especially with a budget build on a budget bike.

Anyway, back on topic - a properly breathing, freely exhausting Savage starts so much more quickly and easily than a stock bike, so less reserve capacity is required. Voltage is strength, cranking amps is stamina. No need for so much electrical stamina when the engine doesn't struggle to start. You claim the Suzuki engineers spec'd such a large turd of a battery because of the size of the starter, windings, etc... But that makes me wonder how my 1700cc Nomad starts with essentially the same size battery when it has to run an ECU, a servo-driven throttle body, a fuel pump, two injectors, and a starter capable of spinning two cylinders that are each 200cc larger than the S40's...and the simple answer is, in stock tune the S40 is a battery killer. If it wasn't for how well this bike responds to mods and how easily the chassis can be customized, I'd absolutely hate it. It's quite frankly a terrible motorcycle right out of the box. So while you see no correlation between battery capacity and jet sizes, there very much is in this case.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #13 - 11/18/19 at 19:57:00

roddy wrote on 11/18/19 at 17:09:40:
hi. thanks for the message. my bike has 5600 miles and it's a 2012. no modifications. carb was rebuilt by the seller 2000 miles ago. there are no marks on any boltheads indicating to me it has never been worked on except for a new tire and oil filter i ride on both hiway and streets. the misfiring is tolerable but if it can be easily fixed, i'd like to apply it to my bike. thanksagain, roddy

I have the same year bike as you with the same mileage
My bike when I bought it behaved like yours    I am  at sea level or up to a few 100 feet above Thanks to the info on this site I have :
Changed the main jet to 150 the pilot jet is stock
Lifted the needle by reducing the spacer by 1/4
Fitted a Dyna muffler
Pulled the plug on the idle screw and it is now at 2 turns open
The bike now requires a little choke until it warms up and then runs very sweet no hesitating no backfiring some times just a little puff on shutdown    I do not intend to change anything else as far as the motor is concerned  very happy as is. These mods were done about 3000 miles ago

Hiko   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 11/20/19 at 09:20:57

Comparing a Nomad to the  Savage ?     Any bike with more than one  piston is going to require a smaller battery(depending on other needs) , the piston in the Nomad may be of larger displacement , but  the stroke is usually shorter , or the closing of the intake valve maybe earlier , making cylinder pressure much lower at cranking speeds ,even more so if the cam shows any overlap , the Savage has no overlap.  Show me the decompression releases on your Nomad , it has none,  that should give you  your first clue. Tuning your carb hasn't much to do when starting the motor (cold startup),  when choking the carb,  the quantity of fuel/air mix is more important than the quality. Your carb isn't tuned when the choke is pulled out , it's flooding the combustion chamber in hopes that at least some of the fuel will mix with air and produce a spark ,where most of the fuel will be in contact with the cold combustion chamber,  piston and cylinder walls and will be condensed .

« Last Edit: 11/20/19 at 12:13:35 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 07:08:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.