Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Addision to Dave's,  wniterizing the savage (Read 140 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Addision to Dave's,  wniterizing the savage
11/09/19 at 07:43:59

It would be best to completely drain the carb as the vent tubes from the bowl are open to atmosphere throughout the winter ,any fuel left in the bowl can absorb moisture during temperature swings and may freeze crushing the floats (ask me how I know). After 24 years this has happened only once this past spring ,but it was a wake up call for me .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re:  Addision to Dave's,  wniterizing the savage
Reply #1 - 11/09/19 at 09:54:01

The down-side to draining the carb is that the o-ring that seals the needle valve, as well as the float bowl gasket, can dry out, shrink or rot. I think it’s one of situations where you are darned if you do, darned if you don’t.

I use Star-Tron as a fuel stabilization treatment and have never had an issue with a spring start up. My bikes are also kept in a insulated garage that rarely sees temperatures below freezing.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 11/09/19 at 12:09:09

I'm still using my factory O-ring ($4.35) and gasket($7.94 ) but needed a new float ($20.45)    Could have made the gasket , used a plain O-ring (temporary )until the new one came in, but had to order the float and wait , and cost nearly twice the cost of the other two parts . pick your poison , but if you do as Dave or I say the gasket and O-ring are exposed anyway , so is your O-ring as it is above the fuel level in the carb.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/10/19 at 09:35:53

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/09/19 at 09:54:01:
The down-side to draining the carb is that the o-ring that seals the needle valve, as well as the float bowl gasket, can dry out, shrink or rot.

I don' think it is the lack of fuel that can cause those things to occur - I believe it is more a function of where and how long the storage occurs.  If the engine/carb is in a pole barn and it gets really hot in the summers the heat can be damaging to rubber parts.

Some of my lawn equipment is nearly 30 years old and still using the original needle,seat and carb gaskets....and the fuel is drained out every year.

It is my belief that "no fuel" when in storage results in a lot less work and more reliable equipment than leaving fuel in for 5 months of idleness.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 11/10/19 at 15:06:46

You did a nice job on your post Dave.  All the right details to ensure a trouble free startup next spring.  I'm pretty sure many a Savage has met an early grave due to improper (or no) layup prior to the long winter.  Then in spring, when the carb is full of tar, and the cylinder has a uniform coat of rust, and the fuel tank has a generous helping of water, and the battery is stone dead, all hell breaks loose when the owner scurries around trying to get his baby fired up for that long anticipated first ride.  It was very nice of you to outline all the pertinent stuff for a proper layup.

Why can't I reply to your original post?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 11/10/19 at 18:28:38

He locked it !  thinking there was nothing to add ,he is after all a Licensed Engineer .

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 11/10/19 at 20:49:16

I go with the just try to ride at least once every 2 to 3 weeks. Here in central Jersey you get a nice sunny day, warm enough to head out and get about 20-30 miles in. I put it away by shutting petcock and letting it run until it just starts to stall. Drain the tank and when the weather looks good drop a gallon of gas in it and take quick ride.

Bikes are stored in a dry and semi-heated space, that is, the temperature in shop is never below 35-40 degrees, never below freezing and at least 4 days a week shop is heated up to 60 degrees while there working.

Lucky enough that here at the Jersey shore you occasionally get a day nice enough to ride regualrly all winter.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 11/11/19 at 06:47:32

If you want to get some oil up into the float bowl to keep the O rings from drying out just shut off the pet c0ck, drain the bowl using the drain and then spray some WD 40 up into the drain hole using the skinny straw provided. It's a little messy, wrap the drain point with some shop rags, but it helps with the life of the O rings for winter storage.
 Draining the tank then adding Sea Foam while running also seems to work.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/11/19 at 09:05:38

wd40 is a water dispersion spray with only 25% oil.

I would recommend instead fuel injector cleaner in the fuel.  
And it remains in the carb afterwards.

WWW   IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/11/19 at 09:26:42

I build bobbers and cafes for a living, and flip bikes on the side, probably 50 or more units over the past few years, and a lot of my flips were bikes "running when I parked it" and in Spring "will crank but won't start now". Additionally, I have four personal motorcycles and four more belonging to my kids. For years I've just treated the fuel (SeaFoam or StarTron), run them for ten minutes, topped off the tank and took the battery indoors on a tender. Last year I decided to drain the bowls on my Ninja 500 and was surprised come Spring when the carbs leaked fuel like a sieve. There are o-rings on the pipe that connects the two carbs for fuel delivery and they'd shrank from lack of contact with petrol. I thought I'd have to tear into them but decided to leave the petcock on in the driveway and let it leak, see what happened. After a couple days it "healed" itself and we rode it all year no trouble.

My advice, for whatever it's worth...add a bottle of StarTron, fill the tank with premium, leave the petcock ON, and tender the battery in or out of the bike. If it's going to sit for a year or more, fog the cylinder and Saran Wrap the muffler opening. I don't advise draining the carb unless you want to deal with shrunken parts come Spring, if you've treated the fuel properly you won't have a bunch of gummy varnish but for good measure you can drain what's in the bowl just before trying to start it the first time.

YRMV...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/11/19 at 12:22:42

Who is Addison?

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 11/11/19 at 13:49:44

Do you mean "Addision"?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/11/19 at 14:21:42

DragBikeMike wrote on 11/11/19 at 13:49:44:
Do you mean "Addision"?

Dam my eyes have gotten used to JOG's and MN's misspellings.

Addition and winterizing.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 11/11/19 at 16:56:52

I wish my typing skills were as fast as my spelling ,but my two fingers keep running into each other ! Smiley
   I could go back and correct it ,but it turns out if you change the title of the post it disappears  and you can't find it in a search . that's why when I told DBM to search for -tuning your intake - he was unable to find it.

« Last Edit: 11/11/19 at 22:54:56 by batman »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re:  Aduiytdision to Dave's,  wniterizing the sava
Reply #14 - 11/11/19 at 21:45:10

My spellun is asgood as innybodeze.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 06:08:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Addision to Dave's,  wniterizing the savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.