Rocker arm oiling (Read 231 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Rocker arm oiling
Reply #15 - 11/12/19 at 11:52:56

batman wrote on 11/12/19 at 11:37:47:
The 402 's duration @ .050 is 248  a bit high for the Savage, 240 will take you to 7000 rpm  , 500rpm  over redline ,do you really want the motor turning faster ? DBM is blowing out gaskets at 7250 to 7500. the 402's valve lifts are also high , while they do add to duration , they're not going to add to flow , the flow of fuel/air mix is regulated  by the size of the valve seat area ,once the valves opening reaches about 25% of the valves diameter , which is way less than .390/.380 lift stated for this cam.  I don't see either of the cams being used in the Savage they're over the top.

Like I said, they are not for stock or near stock engines. They will require modifications like Stage 2 porting, larger valves, and more compression. And at least one person has installed a 340b in their bike that I know of. I had looked at the 402 for mine but at the time the price was much higher than the stock DR cam so I passed on it.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 11/12/19 at 13:15:15

" DBM is blowing out gaskets at 7250 to 7500."

DBM is not blowing out gaskets by revving this old single up past 7K.  I've been doin that for months with absolutely no ill effect.   I sucked that gasket in when I installed the KrankVent.  It had nothin to do with engine rpm (just my opinion, but it is my bike, and I do have first hand knowledge on the failure).

I am still troubleshooting the gasket failure.  I believe I have narrowed things down.  The differential I measured across the gasket was miniscule, and to me, it seems highly unlikely that the failure was solely the result of that little bit of vacuum I pulled in the crankcase.  My focus is currently on the fasteners.  I doubled up on the copper washers to compensate for the material I lobbed off the cylinder.  I'm thinkin too much soft copper in the sandwich.

Regarding the 340b & 402 grind cams, they are appropriate for my project.  The objective is to learn and share.  What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.  I want a hotrod, these are hotrod cams.  Cool

I will post the curves when I get a chance.  They are interesting.  These are not bolt-in cams.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/12/19 at 14:24:36

Sucked in not blown out.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 11/12/19 at 19:36:29

Ok ,My mistake, there is no oil pressure in that area of the gasket,  as it's just a gravity drain back to the case. I would however use a sealant on both sides of the copper gasket , copper deals well with pressure /vacuum but is not so good with oil as it tends to migrate between the copper and the cases.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:59:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rocker arm oiling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.