Rocker arm oiling (Read 231 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Rocker arm oiling
11/07/19 at 20:05:10

Must be a layer of brain rust, but I can't for the life of me see any way that oil is getting to the rocker shaft-to-rocker surface. Seems amazing that the system would live with just splash lubrication.
i'm missing something, yes?
Enlighten me.
thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Rocker arm oiling
Reply #1 - 11/07/19 at 22:17:03

I'm no expert on this subject ,but I believe the following to be true,I'm sure others know much more than I.
     All cams stock ,(and possibly  webcams based on stock cams-not sure) , have a central passage through their shafts and branches leading to the lobes of the cam that supply oil to the side "cheek" of each lobe , as well as splash lubrication .   Stock  DR650 cams ,have a smaller channel and no passages to the lobes, so the lobes are splash lubricated only .(but I believe one member drilled his DR to stock specs ,restoring those channels).  I don't believe the rocker arms supply any oil.  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/08/19 at 14:23:19

"Splish splash, I was takin' a bath"...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/09/19 at 02:56:56

The oil supply to the head comes up the right rear of the cylinder in a passage around the head stud.  When the oil reachesd the top of cylinder it then flows in a passage that goes to the left side of the cam.  The oil flows to the cam journals - the left rear journal allows oil to flow to the hollow cam.  The inside of the cam has a small hole on the cam chain side that limits how fast oil can flow out the right side to the cam chain area.  The oil inside the cam can pass through a small hole at the base of the cam lobe - this oil lubricates the cam/rocker surface.....then it flies off and supplies oil to the rocker shaft.  The rocker shaft doesn't receive any oil at pressure - it is oiled by the spray off the cam.  The head has a small oil reservoir under the cam and it likely has a small amount of oil in it while the engine is running - but when the engine stops the oil inside the cam drains out the holes at the base of the lobes and the oil drips off the rocker shafts.....and the little reservoir fills up with oil - and this lubricates the cam at "start up".

The system works well - but at idle there is not a lot of oil flowing up into the head (especially if you have your idle speed set really low).  Idling the engine with the bike leaning on the side stand starves the right cam/rocker for oil - as there is not enough oil flow to push oil uphill inside the hollow cam, and the oil level in the reservoir is on the downhill side and none reaches the right cam lobe.  (Don't idle the bike on the side stand.....and don't idle the engine for long periods of time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 11/09/19 at 19:32:42

Thanks Dave.
Have to say, I'm amazed the rockers survive. Most bikes have some way of getting oil to the surface between the rocker arm and shaft. I was going to make up shims to set the endplay on the rockers and eliminate the wave washer. Glad I didn't. No oil would get in there at all!
Really makes me not want to use aftermarket valve springs. Last thing the bike needs is more pressure between the rocker and shaft.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/10/19 at 02:53:57

Armen wrote on 11/09/19 at 19:32:42:
Last thing the bike needs is more pressure between the rocker and shaft.

Absolutely - each rocker compresses 4 valve springs (2 valves with 2 springs each)......and I believe it is very close to being at it's limit.

With good oil and an adequate idle speed to provide oil flow they can last a long time - Youzguys is at 160,000 miles and climbing on his original cam and rockers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 11/10/19 at 15:22:48

The rockers receive oil via a hole in the top of the assembly.  It's splash oil.  I think you could improve oiling significantly by applying a very generous chamfer to the top of the hole, which would increase the available surface area utilized to catch/trap the splash oil, and also significantly increase the volume of the reservoir.

Looks to me like the wrist pin (also splash lubed) is of greater concern.  It has no reservoir, and the splash oil has to migrate up rather than gravity feed down.

Regarding stiffer springs.  There's only one way to find out.  Wink

Rocker_Oiling_Typical_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 11/10/19 at 18:08:20

Thanks DBM
Somewhere in my paperwork is a book of hotrod tips for Nortons. In there is to chamfer the oiling hole for the right cam bearing so it gets more oil.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 11/11/19 at 13:06:25

Armen , Why would you even consider stronger valve springs ? the stock springs are known to work with every cam we have available .

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 11/11/19 at 13:51:40

There are two cams available that require stiffer springs.  They are Web grind 402 and grind 340b.   Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 11/11/19 at 23:23:35

What cams are they ? stage 1&2 ? 

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 11/11/19 at 23:47:25

Those are hot cams for the DR. They have even more lift and duration than the ones you are thinking of.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 11/12/19 at 08:23:35

So I'm mistaken  , if one of these is installed in a Savage ,but we haven't heard of that as yet. Do either show any real promise? They look way to radical to me.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #13 - 11/12/19 at 10:34:17

batman wrote on 11/12/19 at 08:23:35:
So I'm mistaken  , if one of these is installed in a Savage ,but we haven't heard of that as yet. Do either show any real promise? They look way to radical to me.

Too radical comes down to the type of riding that you do. If you like to just putt around and don't want to downshift much, the 340b grind is probably a bad choice for an otherwise stock motor. The 402 is about the same as a stock DR cam with a bit more lift and duration. Either of those will require modifications to the LS engine though, as well as the stouter springs.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 11/12/19 at 11:37:47

The 402 's duration @ .050 is 248  a bit high for the Savage, 240 will take you to 7000 rpm  , 500rpm  over redline ,do you really want the motor turning faster ? DBM is blowing out gaskets at 7250 to 7500. the 402's valve lifts are also high , while they do add to duration , they're not going to add to flow , the flow of fuel/air mix is regulated  by the size of the valve seat area ,once the valves opening reaches about 25% of the valves diameter , which is way less than .390/.380 lift stated for this cam.  I don't see either of the cams being used in the Savage they're over the top.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 15:01:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rocker arm oiling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.