Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got smoked by a Harley with a 103 engine (Read 219 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Got smoked by a Harley with a 103 engine
11/06/19 at 09:51:27

Had a guy pull up to me today at a stop light riding what looked like an HD lowrider and said 103 on the air cleaner. There was no nod, no acknowledgment of any kind from the guy. He did not even turn to look at me. The light turned green and we both gunned it. He had me from the beginning but I was surprised that the did not totally leave me behind especially considering I have a stock engine with highway gearing. I think that with the normal gearing I would have annoyed him. He would have still beat me, but not by that much. This little S40 never ceases to amaze me. Oh, and I bet Old Indian would have smoked this guy!!!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Got smoked by a Harley with a 103 engine
Reply #1 - 11/06/19 at 11:44:33

Yeah, stupid how so many HD riders seem to completely ignore anyone that is not on another HD. Whether I am on the little Ninja 250 or my S40, I experience the same. They will roll up next to me at a light, across the intersection looking at me, or pass by on a 4 lane and act like I am not even there.  But this guy on the little baby bike quickly becomes their friend when they are broken down and I have the tools on board my bike or in my truck that they need as I so kindly stop to help....regardless of how cheap/expensive/big/little their motorcycle is.

c4c762e5100f79ed17be8e69e3af02bc.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/06/19 at 12:22:43

Smoked by a little ol' 1700cc Harley?...
Don't worry,... you'll get him next time... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/06/19 at 18:08:32

You are so right Stew. On the way home a big ole harley bagger pulled up next to me at a light and again not even a glimpse my way. Oh well, such is life.

But you're right Sero, I'll get him next time. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 11/06/19 at 21:01:40

My experience, at least here in Jersey, is they at least give you a low five when passing in the oposite direction. Have had my issues at the local dealer, but on the road it's been mostly all good with riders. Though a guy on a Dresser did kind-of blow me off at a light the other day, ducked in and blew by between some tight traffic.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 11/07/19 at 08:14:53

Funny, because I get a lot of looks, comments and thumbs up from Harley guys.  Mostly older guys who probably just appreciate an "old" bike.  Some notice the belt drive or the big single right away.  Some ask what year it is, etc.  

But it's probably because my bike doesn't have the original cruiser styling.  My guess is most would snub their noses at a "little Sporster wannabe" (which is what Suzuki was going for with the LS650) when you consider a bunch of them snub actual Sportsters.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 11/07/19 at 10:09:32

I've took my little S-40 to no less than 5 of the yearly CMAUSA  Tn. State Rally s.   Every year I win the Slow-Race event in the bike games.   The most often comment I get from the other contestants is " Dang , "That machine is a hard act to follow" .  To which I always reply "Yep , Thats my Baby ! "  Smiley

I'm always proud of that tall gear when I do the loop from the end of the track back to the starting area.   It ain't geared like a "SMALL-BIKE" its geared higher than a lot of the Harleys and Wings I'm competing against.

This past year (2019) I took Pearl (V-9 Roamer) and came in 2nd place.  So next year I'll have to take the S-40 again !   Wink

« Last Edit: 11/08/19 at 15:33:52 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/08/19 at 16:36:21

It’s fun seeing some of the expressions/comments from some folks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/09/19 at 02:40:47

When I go to the Quaker Steak and Lube bike nights.....it is 95% Harley V-Twins.  The other 5% is a mix of all bikes.

The majority of the folks don't pay any attention to my Savage Cafe' bike and just walk right past - if it isn't a V-Twin cruiser they just don't understand.  A few folks appreciate what it was (and now is) and understand the work that went into it and what it's purpose is.  A lot of folks believe it to be older - the GT550 gas tank makes it look older than it is.  The folks that are used to the small headlights that are on the Sportsters all seem to notice the big 8" headlight....some like it some think it looks weird (it definitely is noticeable).

I have found that I have very little to talk about at these bike nights.  Most of the people are pretty "clicky" and have their group of friends to hang with, and they notice I am not wearing any leather or a vest and I don't have tattoos.......they know I am not a real "biker".

I went on one group ride with a Harley Herd - it was a Poker Run.  As the day went on and they found out they could not lose me on the straights.........and they could not keep up in the curves - they started commenting:  "That little bike looks like a lot of fun!".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 11/09/19 at 10:19:09

Once is awhile you run into a H/D rider that can actually handle his bike.  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 11/09/19 at 17:03:46

LANCER wrote on 11/08/19 at 16:36:21:
It’s fun seeing some of the expressions/comments from some folks.

aren't egos something?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #11 - 11/09/19 at 18:54:05

If you have a Harley Sportster 883 and replace the side covers with ones that say 1200, most Harley riders will believe it.  Anyway, one day I pulled over to help a Harley rider and he refused my help because I was on a jap bike. I don't do that anymore.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/10/19 at 08:18:45

I do my best to avoid other bikes/bikers on the road.  My experience has been that most are ok, but others will darn near get you killed.

Nothing about being tough is entertaining to me.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/14/19 at 19:01:16

I have to admit that I usually get a wave back from most bikers. I think it was just my bad luck day to be at stops with those 2 jerks.

I agree with eegore, I try to keep away from bikers I don't know and also stay away from large gatherings of bikes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/15/19 at 04:17:45

The young fellas who ride scooters around the city seldom wave back.......not sure why?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:20:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got smoked by a Harley with a 103 engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.