Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice Wanted:Bad Dealership Installation New Bike (Read 75 times)
UglyBrute
YaBB Newbies

Yeet.

Detroit
Advice Wanted:Bad Dealership Installation New Bike
11/03/19 at 20:04:46

I could use some advice for this situation. Last month I purchased a new 2017 model year Honda Africa, 0 miles, 2 year warranty. When I was purchasing the bike, the dealership wanted to know when I was picking up the bike because it was still in the original crate/container it came in and still needed to be opened / put together.

Recently I haven't been able to get the bike to start, I assumed that the cold weather and the battery were the culprit so I purchased a battery tender and a charging harness.

After removing the covering to access the battery, I was very upset/disappointed. I was expecting to find a socket bolt retaining the ground wire to the engine. Instead I found an incorrectly sized hex bolt I could pull out by hand instead of loosening/unscrewing it. The bolt hole threading in the engine looks to be stripped. Worse yet, there are two 1/8" deep drill holes around it that I can't even tell what happened. It almost looks like a drunken attempt to drill out and retap the bolt hole.

I would assume the bike required a battery to be installed among other things if the bike was just opened from its packaging, but I can't imagine how someone could mess up this so badly.

I live in another state about 2.5 hours away from the dealership I purchased the bike from. I emailed the salesman and general email of the dealership I purchased the bike from explaining what I have found and to call me asap. I plan on taking the bike to a local dealership I trust tomorrow to have it evaluated for repair costs and any other "installation errors". I'm worried that the dealership I purchased from is going to say that I caused this damage.

I could use any advice you guys could recommend. Has anything similar happened to anyone else? Any other damage I should check for?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Advice Wanted:Bad Dealership Installation New
Reply #1 - 11/04/19 at 06:53:11

Sorry that you found that issue. Stinks.

If it were me, I would not let anyone else touch it so they cannot claim someone else at another shop did this. Make the dealer send a runner to come get it, AFTER you have something in writing from them what they are agreeing to do.

If that happened, who knows what else happened.  I would press them for a new bike...because for all you know the fool that did that forgot something else and you will end up in a ditch somewhere. You ppaid for a new bike, you should have a new, unmolested bike.  What's the worse they can say, but no.  

If that doesn't fly. I would mandate an extended warranty and a letter from the dealership on their letterhead agreeing that they are aware of the issue THEY created that they are agreeing to correct and any issues that arise as a result of that part failing in the future for maybe 3-5 years.  

You are a paying customer. You should not feel guilty for pressing the issue and getting what you feel is right  . If they play the "ignore you" game I would start sharing my story all over social media until they make it right.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/04/19 at 12:00:16

Speak to the manager.
Not service, nobody,,
Manager..
If you're not satisfied
Next stop
Owner..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/04/19 at 13:50:42

IF needed, a call to Honda USA may help motivate a dealership.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 11/06/19 at 12:56:36

Take pictures before it leaves your possession and goes to any dealer for repairs. Documentation of everything is paramount, phone calls, names and positions, e-mails, dates, everything concerning the bike repair and dealer response needs to be recorded.
 Don't let them blame the problem on "somebody else" and blow you off. I would already start contacting Honda USA about the problem, just send them a few pictures and a quick explanation of what you found when checking the bike. Include your expectations about either getting it fixed for free or having the entire bike replaced. Make sure the dealer gets the same pictures and text.
 Be nice but firm to start with and don't go medieval on them yet, you will have plenty of time to freak out on them if things go sour. Don't make any threats unless it's about getting a lawyer.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 11/06/19 at 15:30:59

Ed L. gave you great advice.....document EVERYTHING, even the names of folks you talked to, and when.

I had problems with a new Honda as well, right off the showroom floor.
While under warranty, I had to have it worked om, valve guides, is was burning oil, and smoking on hard decel....

It took weeks, got it back, a few months later, same thing....

I got Honda USA involved, they did to, had to get authorization, etc, got it fixed, got rid of it, I traded it in for the savage.....

Mine was just one of those things....they drove over from the mainland to pick it up, paying ferry fees, and to drop it back off....

They gave me a good deal on the savage, put 2 of them together for me to choose, color wise....

Stay cool, calm, don't get flustered, yours is a bit different than mine, if they tried to conceal shoddy work, etc...

Let us know how it turns out, good luck.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/06/19 at 17:58:56

The dealer that did it may not have any idea what happened........only the one mechanic may have screwed up and was not willing to man up and tell anybody.

I would take the bike back to the dealer you bought it.....and see what they have to say about it.  If they are a good dealer, they will make it right.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 17:38:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Advice Wanted:Bad Dealership Installation New Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.