LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Royal Enfield 500CC
Reply #15 - 11/05/19 at 09:01:37

Finding another bike of similar or less weight and having similar performance characteristics is nearly impossible.  The LS is 360-380 lbs stock and can be reduced to nearly 300.  My Savage weighs 327 lbs and is reasonably light with fenders and stock exhaust replaced, among a few other little things.
There just are not many machines that can compete when it comes to weight-torque-handling....except other/older older big singles.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #16 - 11/05/19 at 09:23:44

1. You can replace the fenders with lighter ones, especially the rear fender.
2. The wheels can be re-laced with aluminum rims instead of the heavier steel ones.
3. The heavy muffler and double wall exhaust can be replaced with a lighter muffler and single wall pipe. And you get a performance boost as well as shedding some weight.
4. A lightened flywheel can drop about 5 pounds and you gain a bit more performance again.
5. Replace steel parts with aluminum where possible.
6. Some parts can be drilled to reduce weight.
7. Replace bolts with lighter alloy bolts.

These bikes are pretty light as is, but you can still lighten them quite a bit without sacrificing rider comfort. And with every pound that you remove you are improving the power to weight ratio so it runs stronger too.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 11/06/19 at 07:10:05

Yeah, a 500-600cc single is hard to find.  Kinda wish the SR 500 was still in production, think maybe a Panther would have been perfect but I suspect there is a reason they died.  The Savage is fine on highway or back road, and the shifting is when you remember (or when the bike shudders a bit).  The BMW Rotax engine bike is a possibility, but is surely as ugly to me as a bike can be.   Well, have all Winter to think about it.  Thanks for the answers so far.  I wonder how many (or few?) RE has sold in this country?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 11/06/19 at 07:28:44

Time for a trike?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #19 - 11/06/19 at 08:23:41

Trippah,
SR was kick only. Not a good old guy bike. Prob the same weight as the Savage, no elec start, and non-counterbalanced. Not a great choice.
Not many RE500s on the road except for hipsters and eccentrics.
Crap build quality, gutless, non-counterbalanced.
Much easier to drop 50 pounds off your Savage than make a good bike out of the other choices you mentioned.
Many folks have dropped theirs down to the low 300 pound range. Can't imagine a real street bike weighing less. Much less having a counterbalance and electric start.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #20 - 11/06/19 at 09:43:46

Thanks for the info Mavi.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 11/06/19 at 17:55:26

Trippah wrote on 11/06/19 at 07:10:05:
The BMW Rotax engine bike is a possibility, but is surely as ugly to me as a bike can be.

I think I just got a fist in the mouth?! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 21:45:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Royal Enfield 500CC

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.