Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Armen Affliction
11/02/19 at 05:39:20

So it seems that I have obtained an apparent functional disability from Armen.

My BMW F800GT motorcycles has a very limited tool kit that consists of a small screwdriver with a single Torx bit that fits the bodywork.

Earlier this year when I was riding in Robbinsville with MMRanch, I needed to remove the rear wheel to get a new tire installed.  We stopped by the Ace hardware store in town and I bought the needed Torx bit set and a 3/8" drive breaker bar - I chose the breaker bar over a ratchet as it was lighter and smaller to pack.

When I got home I purchased a tubeless tire repair kit that includes an installation tool for rubber plugs and 3 CO2 inflator canisters, and in an attempt to reduce weight I replaced the Torx bit set with only the 3 sizes my bike has.  Still......the set felt heavy as a result of the breaker bar weight and tire patch kit......and I needed to add a 13mm wrench to hold the nut on the back of the muffler support and add a spring puller so I can remove the muffler to get the wheel off.

So....I decided to see how I could reduce the weight of the breaker bar?  I decided to cut off the handle and install a tubular handle that weighed less.  I had never worked with chrome plated hardened steel in my lathe before.......I really didn't know what I was up against until I got started.  It turns out that this stuff doesn't machine very well and is tough - I managed to get it cut down but I had to sharpen the carbide bits frequently.

BreakerResize.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Armen Affliction
Reply #1 - 11/02/19 at 05:51:49

Once I got the parts machined, I used JB Weld to attach the tube handle to the cut down bar.  The handle is steel and I powder coated it chrome, added some heat shrink tubing to the handle and a rubber end cap.  I can store something in the handle like spare body screws.

I started out with a weight of 10.9 ounces.......the end result was a reduction of 2.6 ounces - it now weighs 8.3 ounces.

FinBreak.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/02/19 at 06:08:54

So.....now what should I do about that 13mm wrench I need for the muffler bracket?

Paying $37 for a single light weight wrench seems illogical.
https://www.aerostich.com/titanium-combination-wrenches-5.html

Instead, I bought a $6 wrench at Home Deport and decided I was going to see how well my drills like to cut holes in chrome plated hardened steel.

Well..... I got it done and discovered my drills really hate this process.  I started out with a new center drill to make a beginning of a hole, and it only cut a couple before it got too dull to drill anymore.  It did make a small depression in the other spots - but it did not drill through the chrome anymore.  I then switched to a small diameter Cobalt drill, and it worked really well for 5 holes before it gave up.  I tried sharpening the drill - but once the Cobalt coating was gone it would no longer drill through the chrome of the hardened steel underneath.  I had a couple of Cobalt and Titanium bits in similar sizes and eventually got tiny holes punched through.  Then I switched to a drill bit that I bought at a flea market where the guy was drilling holes in leaf springs to show how tough this bit was (maybe it is Carbide), and with several stops to sharpen the bit it was able to get all the holes cut through.....then I did a bit of countersinking to soften the edges of the hole.

The wrench was 2.7 ounces when I started - I have not yet weighed it but I would be surprised if I was able to cut the weight down even half an ounce.  I showed it to a fellow last night and he observed that I could save a lot more weight by cutting one end off.......the muffler nut requires the box end - but I am not sure I can convince myself to cut the open end off to save a smidge of weight.  It turned out OK and I learned a little - a few of the holes are a bit off center as the curved profile of the wrench made the drill bit walk just a bit as it tried to overcome the shiny chrome plating.  I am not sure what kind of drills are needed to drill reliably through this stuff - but I did learn that whatever it is......isn't in my toolbox!

LightWrench.jpg

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 11/02/19 at 06:52:05

Awesome!
Welcome to my disease!
It's a sickness, and I ain't looking for a cure Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/02/19 at 09:08:19

you can use a grinder to make a divot to keep the drill from wandering.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/02/19 at 13:22:21

I'm just glad Armen isn't a dentist.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 11/02/19 at 14:51:15

What size socket?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/02/19 at 17:56:37

Dave, have you thought of any creative use for the end you cut off?...
It's a wicked hunk of metal...   Roll Eyes

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 11/02/19 at 19:52:40

You should have used a grinder and cutoff wheel , and the same process on the wrench ,cut off both ends short and make a handle of hollow pipe that slips on by crushing it the pipe slightly in a vise.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/02/19 at 19:53:44

Serowbot wrote on 11/02/19 at 17:56:37:
Dave, have you thought of any creative use for the end you cut off?...
It's a wicked hunk of metal...   Roll Eyes

It doesn't make a good paper weight - it rolls around too easilly!

It is too short to use when toasting marshmallows - unless you like toasty fingers!

Wouldn't work as a tie tack.......I believe the weight would slowly pull the tie too tight and choke me!

Since I am not in prison - I don't believe I really have any known use for it?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 11/03/19 at 04:19:36

What I've done when I need a light weight axle wrench is to go to Bike Bandit and punch in the wrench size (24mm, etc) and see what comes up. Most of the Japanese bikes used to come with a two piece axle wrench, so there are lots of choices. Oddly enough, the prices vary a lot.
A little poking around and I usually find one that fits whatever I need. Light and compact (two piece-wrench and extension).
Here is a 27mm Honda one. You'll need the handle.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/99006-27000/b741395?m=9379

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/03/19 at 08:15:12

The rear wheel on the BMW is held on like a car.....with 5 bolts that have T50 Torx heads.  Once I was back home I found that there are some wrenches that are T50 Torx that are like a big allen wrench......I did not have the option of buying one of those when I needed to get a new tire in Robbinsvillle, NC......Ace Hardware was the best I could do in that small town.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/BMW-T50-Torx-Rear-Wheel-Wrench?gclid=Cj0KCQjw...

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 11/03/19 at 08:22:31

Got it.
Looks like a good choice.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 11/04/19 at 21:53:38

Dave if ya ever need to cut that hard stuff again ,

a metal cut-off blade in your skill saw works wonders , That same cut-off wheel might take the center Cerf cut out of a wrench ... it might be a little wide for a smaller wench. ?  It wouldn't necessarily need to cut all the way through ?  Huh

That BMW 800 has a lot of "Nice" things about it !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 11/05/19 at 06:35:09

Dave/Armen,
I am surprised that neither of you use helium in your tires....or DO YOU? Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:54:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Armen Affliction

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.