Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine Warm Up (Cold Weather) (Read 270 times)
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Warm Up (Cold Weather)
10/30/19 at 01:01:14

Hello All:

Any recommendations for cold weather engine warm up time?  2017 Boulevard S40.  I work afternoons/nights.  Rode home in 40 to 38 deg. F.  I let the engine idle ~2 minutes after start but notice engine is a bit balky when I first shift into gear.  She doesn't stall but I can feel intermittent hesitation (skipping sort of).  Running like a top once I get home.

I'm guessing more warm up time is needed.   Read my OM but found no specific recommendations.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Engine Warm Up (Cold Weather)
Reply #1 - 10/30/19 at 03:30:05

The engine has a carb.....not fuel injection.  The carb has no ability to adjust for cold weather......the fuel enrichment knob is your friend.

Start the bike with the knob pulled out if needed, then after a 30 second to 1 minute warmup - ride off slowly and let the bike warm up gently.  Push the choke in when you can - but leave it out a notch or two if that is what is required for the bike to run well.   Push it in when you can.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 10/30/19 at 08:47:49

If your bike is stock it may help to do the spacer mod .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/30/19 at 11:06:10

irritatedmongo wrote on 10/30/19 at 01:01:14:
Hello All:
 Running like a top once I get home.

--------------------------

Which is why you don't listen to batman in this case.  You should only change jetting for performance reasons.  Not because your bike doesn't run well before it reaches full operating temperature.   If it's underperforming after it's fully warmed up and you always ride in cold weather, then it's worth considering, but you said it runs like a top once you get home.

What dave said is correct.  Proper use of the enrichment knob, aka "choke" is all that is needed.   Full choke to get it started. Let it run for a few seconds, push the choke in halfway, pop it in gear and go.  No reason to let it sit there for minutes.  It's not going to warm up as fast as if you ride it and you could potentially do more harm than good if you leave it idling on the kickstand.  

I use my bike for commuting and often ride in similar temps as you. My bike takes a few miles to warm up enough to push the choke in completely when it's below 40 degrees.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/30/19 at 21:51:36

It seems that Ohiomoto  shows  a certain lack of reading comprehension ,I did not recommend  changing any jets . He believes that the factory knows the perfect set up for the carb ,stock. While most of us realize that the carb was tuned lean to pass clean air standards.  His lack of comprehension also missed your statement , "She doesn't stall but I can feel intermittent hesitation (skipping sort of)." We term this mid range surge , it occurs between throttle openings of 1/4 and 3/4 where the fuel is controlled by the needle jet, it is a lean condition where the bike seems not to hold a steady speed , and is cured by doing the spacer mod , that lifts the jet needle slightly higher allowing a bit more fuel into the carb at particile throttle settings ,where your motor spends most of it's time. If you do it you'll find the bike runs "like a top" from the time you can push in the choke ,all the rest of the way home,  long before you arrive . (the carb screws are JIS -Japanese industrial standard -  Philips head- are to pointed,  and will not fit down into the JIS screw heads all the way) be carful not to strip the heads of the tiny brass screws when removing the plate over the jet needle.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/01/19 at 05:58:08

I fire mine up in cold weather all winter in CO.  

Use the choke and let the fuel mixture do it's thing, idling 2 minutes or 10 minutes don't make much of a difference for my bikes.

Riding is the most efficient way to warm it up, idling for two minutes isn't anywhere near as efficient and is not recommended for our bikes anyway as it can do damage.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 11/01/19 at 06:15:31

A few things to consider:
The bikes have pretty meager oil pressure at idle. Some cam/rocker wear has been traced to having the bike idle on the side stand. While cold/thick oil will have higher pressure than hot/thin oil there is the problem of the oil not wanting to go through the very thin passageways when it is like glue.
On an air cooled  motor, letting it idle for a long while makes of localized overheating. In no time at all, the head pipe will be glowing red and the intake side will still be cold.
GM did studies a million years ago and determined than taking off as soon as possible under a light load was the best way to warm up a motor.
When you use the choke, you are dumping a bunch more raw fuel into the motor. This carbons up the top end. Not good. It also washes down the cylinder walls as gas goes past the rings. Not good.
As was noted, the low and mid-range leanness is most obvious when the bike is cold. I've done the mixture screw and shim the needle on countless bikes. They all were happier, and some even got better gas mileage as the choke could be shut off earlier.
So, twiddle the carb, start on choke, run for maybe 30 seconds and take off under a light load.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/01/19 at 07:24:42

It's been my understanding that multigrade oils flow at low temperatures easier than once they are warm.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 11/01/19 at 07:36:24

On my bikes with a carb...
Step 1: Start
Step 2: Blip Throttle to my liking
Step 3: Ride
Step 4: Remove choke/enricher once past a walking pace
Step 5: Engine is warm when throttle response is normal

On my FI bikes...
Step 1: Start
Step 2: Blip Throttle to my liking
Step 3: Ride

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/01/19 at 08:49:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/19 at 07:24:42:
It's been my understanding that multigrade oils flow at low temperatures easier than once they are warm.

That is not accurate.

All oils thicken when they are cold....and get thinner as they warm up.  No oil thickens as it gets warm (or hot).  A hot 30 oil will be thinner than a hot 40 weight oil......and a both will be thinner than a hot 50 weight oil.  The 20/30/40/50 viscosity number is measured at the boiling point of water (100 degrees centigrade or 0 celsius).  

The winter cold weather "W" rating of a multigrade oil is tested at 0 degrees centigrade (-17.8 degrees celsisus).  An oil that has a 5W rating will flow easier cold than one that is rated 10W.....and 15W and 20W are a bit thicker yet and a bit harder to flow at cold temperatures.  

The additives in a multi-grade oil can do one or both of the following:
1)  For cold weather - the additives can help to prevent an oil from thickening excessively when they are cold.  

2) For hot weather - the additives can help prevent the oil from thinning.  (The additives do not make the oil thicker).

To make this even more confusing - the winter "W" rating is also not a pure viscosity measurement, and it also includes a test to see how much resistance the oil provides when a shaft is turned and the the force measured......some additives reduce the turning force required in cold weather.  (The W rating not only has parameters for flow - but also for resistance to turning in a plain bearing).

The bottom line is that cold oil resists flow more than warm or hot oil does, and you should use an oil with a 'W" rating that is appropriate for the weather you ride in .......as well as the warm temperatures.  This time of year our weather can be in the 20's in the morning when you go to work - and in the 70's when you come home.....this is the kind of environment that Multi-Grade oils were made for.

https://www.lubricants.total.com/consumers/maintenancetips/Oil-viscosity-and-...

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/motor-oil-and-fluids/engine-...

In the following link you will see that the viscosity of all the listed oils thin as they warm up.

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/us-en/engine-oil/

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 11/01/19 at 15:10:48

I agree with everything Dave said ,the only thing I'd add is the fact that NO oil can protect your motor fully when you have very cold temperatures , all oil is really to thick.  The statement that most engine wear occurs at startup is true , However synthetic oils don't thicken as much as dino based oils when cold l , and should come to operating temperature a bit faster.

IP Logged
irritatedmongo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/01/19 at 15:29:18

Wow!  Thank you all for the informative replies!  Fiddling the choke a little more than I was before is doing the trick.  Right now it gets about 40ish at night around here so it's pretty mild.  But I've found the smooth spot now for the choke when I first run her when I'm leaving work.  A tad embarrassed as I'm also a flight instructor with experience adjusting the mixture control on carbureted airplane engines.   Undecided  But this is my first bike.  Initial service coming up next week so I'll also inquire about the oil grade.  Not sure exactly what's in it now, I bought it new.  I'll avoid "overwarming" her though.  Thanks for the great info!  Love this bike, just right for my current needs.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/01/19 at 17:25:33

My vote for what oil to use..........is Rotella T6, 5W-40 synthetic oil.

It will work just fine in your bike, winter and summer.

Don't let the dealer talk you into their brand name Suzuki oil, it is fine for their "new" machines - but not for the primitive Savage engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/01/19 at 18:15:50

5w30 vs 10w30 - Differences in Engine Oil Viscosity - Axle ...
https://axleadvisor.com/5w30-vs-10w30
That means a 10w30 oil takes 10 seconds to flow through the tube when cold, and 30 seconds when hot. Normally, fluids thin as they warm up and thicken as they cool, but these oils have additives that cause the opposite to happen.

Personally, I'm not concerned. I'm a Texan. I'm not riding in cold enough temperatures to keep my 15/40 from doing what I need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 11/02/19 at 00:00:29

Jog ,does that with mean 0w30 you won't even have warm the bike or use the choke  , just ride off at full throttle?  You need to do a bit of research, those numbers have nothing to do with time. 0w30 syn . or 10 w30 dino oil ,both have the same viscosity at full temperature , when cold (75 degree outside temp, -Texas morning?)  10w30 dino might have a viscosity of 100 , while the viscosity of 0w30 maybe 40 .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:17:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Warm Up (Cold Weather)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.