Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights" (Read 426 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights"
Reply #45 - 10/28/19 at 06:01:53

Eegore wrote on 10/25/19 at 15:40:21:
"Again, other countries have cracked this, why can't we?"

They haven't.  

I think that's the fundamental problem with these comparisons, people think other countries "solved" the problem when they in fact never had it.

Other countries have solved gun violence, why can't we?

Other countries have solved homelessness why can't we?

Other countries have solved Education Debt why can't we?

This is like someone in Turkey saying we cracked our refugee problem.

See the issue?  They aren't solving our problem, they never had to, they never had our problem.

OK, take that tack.

Is our problem insurmountable?  Is it worth tackling?

What we have now is not working for tens of millions.  Far too many actually die due to lack of care.  Far too many go bankrupt paying their medical bills.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #46 - 10/28/19 at 08:48:46

They aren't solving our problem, they never had to, they never had our problem.

This actually wraps back into the original post.   The notion that our problems are not OUR problems, that they aren't surmountable for rationalization X, isn't the argument of defeatists, but that of Idon'tgiveafuxs.

The Idon'tgiveafuxs can't see the benefit to themselves of not having neighbors living in poverty- they don't actually see those people as neighbors, as members of their community.   The Idon'tgiveafuxs are really, really bad at math, believing problem Y will never visit their door.   The Idon'tgiveafuxs don't really believe in community, see community as a consumable of convenience, or as a threat.   The Idon'tgiveafuxs are akin to astronauts that attribute their altitude entirely to themselves.

They throw their elbows when they walk as though there weren't 350 million of us sharing the same space.   They dump crap in the air and river without care for the impact downstream.   They see the light from the fire over the hill, think "glad it's not my house", go back inside to watch the game.

"Why should my life be different because of problems over there?"   Insulated by geography, they consume the products of urban America while only valuing urban America as a market.   They have contempt for mutual respect.   Your marriage devalues my marriage.   Your safety at the cost of my convenience.  Me.   Me.   Me.   "I just want to be left alone."   They didn't get here alone.   They were never alone.   But, content with what they have, they think they can pull up the ladder on reality, stop time, and act as if what happens in their greater community has nothing to do with them.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 10/28/19 at 09:17:19

Mavigogun wrote on 10/28/19 at 08:48:46:
They aren't solving our problem, they never had to, they never had our problem.

This actually wraps back into the original post.   The notion that our problems are not OUR problems, that they aren't surmountable for rationalization X, isn't the argument of defeatists, but that of Idon'tgiveafuxs.

The Idon'tgiveafuxs can't see the benefit to themselves of not having neighbors living in poverty- they don't actually see those people as neighbors, as members of their community.   The Idon'tgiveafuxs are really, really bad at math, believing problem Y will never visit their door.   The Idon'tgiveafuxs don't really believe in community, see community as a consumable of convenience, or as a threat.   The Idon'tgiveafuxs are akin to astronauts that attribute their altitude entirely to themselves.

They throw their elbows when they walk as though there weren't 350 million of us sharing the same space.   They dump crap in the air and river without care for the impact downstream.   They see the light from the fire over the hill, think "glad it's not my house", go back inside to watch the game.

"Why should my life be different because of problems over there?"   Insulated by geography, they consume the products of urban America while only valuing urban America as a market.   They have contempt for mutual respect.   Your marriage devalues my marriage.   Your safety at the cost of my convenience.  Me.   Me.   Me.   "I just want to be left alone."   They didn't get here alone.   They were never alone.   But, content with what they have, they think they can call pull up the ladder on reality, stop time, and act as if what happens in their greater community has nothing to do with them.

Well stated!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 10/28/19 at 11:32:30

"Is our problem insurmountable?  Is it worth tackling?"

It is.  But trying to convince others something needs done by comparing our problem to locations with almost no similarities in the actual structure of their economy, healthcare and patient loads is a futile exercise.  It's the same as saying we should ban all red cars if one is used in a crime, nobody takes it seriously, so nobody who is involved in changing things listens to you.

"What we have now is not working for tens of millions.  Far too many actually die due to lack of care.  Far too many go bankrupt paying their medical bills."

Agreed.  However using the US legal system, Constitution and Bill of Rights instead of other countries, if we make free medical care a "right" we limit our ability to refuse care, and we remove a portion of funding.  So we need to reduce quality of care, restructure the economy, change what "rights" are defined as, or massively increase funding across a huge platform.

So using the US legal system and Constitution we all get an equal voice, within reason, so one challenge would be convincing 30 year olds in good health to approve raising taxes, even on "just the rich" which almost every economic model shows doesn't work anyway.

There's a lot of options, I just don't think saying "Sweden solved it" will help us at all.  We can't use many of Sweden's methods here unless we alter our Bill of Rights, and make some Amendments to our Constitution, and most likely remove capitalism from the legal system.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #49 - 10/28/19 at 12:02:02

Eegore wrote on 10/28/19 at 11:32:30:
... trying to convince others something needs done by comparing our problem to locations with almost no similarities in the actual structure of their economy, healthcare and patient loads is a futile exercise.  It's the same as saying we should ban all red cars if one is used in a crime, nobody takes it seriously, so nobody who is involved in changing things listens to you.

The contention isn’t that everything is the same- rather, mindful of our circumstance, that mechanisms applied successfully elsewhere might be adapted to tackling our not-entirely unique problems.   Your characterization is crudely synthetic and altogether pejorative.

Agreed.  However using the US legal system...

What follows seem  arbitrary predictions of doom, stemming more from an apparent ideological distaste than pragmatism.   Are you seeking potential problems as excuses for dismissal, or points to navigate around while exploring solutions?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 10/28/19 at 12:08:39

Eegore wrote on 10/28/19 at 11:32:30:
"Is our problem insurmountable?  Is it worth tackling?"

It is.  But trying to convince others something needs done by comparing our problem to locations with almost no similarities in the actual structure of their economy, healthcare and patient loads is a futile exercise.  It's the same as saying we should ban all red cars if one is used in a crime, nobody takes it seriously, so nobody who is involved in changing things listens to you.

OK - I see your point.  However, it's an effective analogy to show that it's possible.  Even with our different economies and Constitutional structure, the fact remains that people need healthcare.

I think your analogy is a bit too simplistic (at least as much as mine is).

"What we have now is not working for tens of millions.  Far too many actually die due to lack of care.  Far too many go bankrupt paying their medical bills."

Agreed.  However using the US legal system, Constitution and Bill of Rights instead of other countries, if we make free medical care a "right" we limit our ability to refuse care, and we remove a portion of funding.  So we need to reduce quality of care, restructure the economy, change what "rights" are defined as, or massively increase funding across a huge platform.

At this point, it's about the funding, sadly.

So using the US legal system and Constitution we all get an equal voice, within reason, so one challenge would be convincing 30 year olds in good health to approve raising taxes, even on "just the rich" which almost every economic model shows doesn't work anyway.

Which models are you referencing?  I've not seen actual studies, but I understand the base concept to being a substantial tax increase across the board would offset the costs that individuals are paying now.  Meaning - you would no longer need to pay for your insurance "directly".  It would become a tax lide Medicare is.

I know dozens of people that pay upwards of $5000 a year for their insurance, and that's through their employer.  (The average in the US is near $9,000/year)   Imagine if that money were to go towards Medicare for all.  Yeah, that's an oversimplification, oh well....

There's a lot of options, I just don't think saying "Sweden solved it" will help us at all.  We can't use many of Sweden's methods here unless we alter our Bill of Rights, and make some Amendments to our Constitution, and most likely remove capitalism from the legal system.

If you're talking about capitalism in the political system - I totally agree.  Citizens United should be struck down tomorrow and all dark money removed from our political system.  That would be a great start along with Tort reform.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 10/28/19 at 15:41:47

"What follows seem  arbitrary predictions of doom, stemming more from an apparent ideological distaste than pragmatism.   Are you seeking potential problems as excuses for dismissal, or points to navigate around while exploring solutions?"

I have actually worked in healthcare for 13 years and have been on numerous panels, been to DC over 300 times, written national policy in conjunction with peers.  I've mentioned this in the past on these forums.

So no, I am not seeking dismissal, I am saying that over a decade of interaction across multiple continents and working data through thousands of health-policy panels has afforded me the means to understand that US law doesn't exactly come close to other countries that people say we should replicate.

I'd say my "arbitrary predictions of doom, stemming more from an apparent ideological distaste than pragmatism" aren't predictions at all.  They are assessments derived from my multiple experiences attempting, and at times succeeding, at solving problems within the US healthcare system that increase quality of care, and broaden availability of options among multiple incomes.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #52 - 10/28/19 at 16:06:59

T And T Garage wrote on 10/28/19 at 12:08:39:
I know dozens of people that pay upwards of $5000 a year for their insurance, and that's through their employer.  (The average in the US is near $9,000/year)   Imagine if that money were to go towards Medicare for all.

Let's see.
A person pays 5-9,000 a year In a Premium for him/her.
Suddenly, their is Medicare for all.
So the 5-9,000 paying person,
(who now, instead of paying that 5-9,000 a year Premium, pays the same or more in Taxes)
gets the same HC as the $0.00 paying person ?

Now before little feet start stamping,
the person paying 5-9,000.00 a year
is also, and will continue, paying to help people that really need help.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #53 - 10/28/19 at 16:22:59

HMO crap introduced a big parasitic burden on the system and also limited access to services AND how service providers performed their jobs.

And it was better before HMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 10/28/19 at 16:24:08

"So the 5-9,000 paying person,
(who now, instead of paying that 5-9,000 a year Premium, pays the same or more in Taxes)
gets the same HC as the $0.00 paying person ?"

So that's one of the big questions.

Since the current 5,000 a year premium is sustaining less than 1/3rd of the current medical treatment system then where does the other 2/3rds come from?  People would need to pay more that $5000 a year in taxes.

If the average non-payer is due to lack of income, taxes won't resolve that issue.  That's part of why tax the rich is in play.

ACA in my opinion had a decent idea, basically treating healthcare like car insurance, but it needs improved upon.  Unfortunately since people think Obama before they thing healthcare they want ACA removed instead of improved, which puts us back to square one.

For instance pre-existing coverage denial.  People don't want that, but they also don't want to let the program that stopped it to exist.  It mitigated a lot of harm done by HMO, so people want those impacts reduced, but want the program that limited their impact removed.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #55 - 10/28/19 at 17:01:26

Eegore wrote on 10/28/19 at 16:24:08:
 ACA in my opinion had a decent idea, basically treating healthcare like car insurance, but it needs improved upon.

Is that like Car Insurance in Minn and AZ ?
(many other states, may, be similar)
Where a person can get Car Insurance for ONE WEEK,
then go into the DMV office and get license tabs for ONE YEAR.

Meaning 11 months and 3 weeks, one can drive with NO insurance.
Because I, (and about) 89% of the others that drive, PAY for the Non-Insured drivers.
Is that what you mean when you say: ACA in my opinion had a decent idea, basically treating healthcare like car insurance,
Like that ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 10/28/19 at 18:01:54

Is that like Car Insurance in Minn and AZ ?
(many other states, may, be similar)
Where a person can get Car Insurance for ONE WEEK,
then go into the DMV office and get license tabs for ONE YEAR.

Meaning 11 months and 3 weeks, one can drive with NO insurance.
Because I, (and about) 89% of the others that drive, PAY for the Non-Insured drivers.
Is that what you mean when you say: ACA in my opinion had a decent idea, basically treating healthcare like car insurance,
Like that ?

No not like that.

ACA doesn't allow 1-month payments of insurance to apply for a year.  You don't get registration tags for your body every year.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #57 - 10/28/19 at 18:38:03

Eegore wrote on 10/28/19 at 18:01:54:
 ACA doesn't allow 1-month payments of insurance to apply for a year.  You don't get registration tags for your body every year.   

That is true.
Please explain then why you believe:
ASA is basically like car insurance.
ACA in my opinion had a decent idea, basically treating healthcare like car insurance,

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 10/28/19 at 19:18:57

Car insurance has all legal drivers, as in those who pay for insurance when their car is in legal operation on the road, pay into the system.

This means anyone using a vehicle on public roads should contribute to the system, instead of 20-30 year old drivers opting out.  This creates a more predictable and manageable financial pool even amongst competing companies.  

Health insurance isn't exactly the same as in identical, extremely similar, precisely comparatively equal or otherwise similar to extreme degrees.  The concept in application is what shares similarity, but not identical attributes.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #59 - 10/28/19 at 20:12:14

Eegore wrote on 10/28/19 at 16:24:08:
Unfortunately since people think Obama before they thing healthcare they want ACA removed instead of improved, which puts us back to square one.

The ACA presently enjoys a higher favorability rate than the President- about 53%.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 06:25:07

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.