Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights" (Read 426 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights"
10/22/19 at 13:57:07

Seriously, is this how all conservatives view themselves?

County Official Rants About A ‘Queer’ Running For President, Loss Of White Men’s Rights

A county commissioner in Tennessee launched a tirade against the Democratic presidential field and the general state of white men in America on Monday during a debate about guns.

Warren Hurst, who sits on the Sevier County Commission, spoke up during a discussion on an upcoming vote to become a gun sanctuary city. He told the crowd, many of whom were holding little American flags, that it was time to “wake up people.”

“We got a queer running for president if that ain’t about as ugly as you can get,” he said, in comments captured by Knoxville-based station WVLT. “Look what we got running for president in the Democratic Party. We can go over here to Hoss’ jail [the Sevier County sheriff] and get better people out of there than those running for [the] Democratic [nomination] to be president of the United States.”

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, is running in the Democratic primary. If elected, he would be the first openly gay president. His campaign didn’t immediately return a request for comment.

At least one woman objected to Hurst’s remarks and stormed out, but others applauded and agreed with him.

I’m not prejudiced, but by golly, a white male in this country has very few rights and they’re getting took more every day,” the commissioner added.

In a follow-up interview with WVLT, he stood by his comments and noted that he has some Black friends. HuffPost repeatedly attempted to contact Hurst, but his line was busy.

“Sevier County Commissioner Warren Hurst is using his position of power to publicly spew bigotry against LGBTQ people ― people who are very likely his own constituents. A group of people having rights doesn’t take away those of another,” said Nick Morrow, a spokesman with the LGBTQ equality group Human Rights Campaign. Morrow grew up one county over from Sevier. “But with LGBTQ people running for office at every level of government and more and more people voting for candidates who support equality, he should be more worried about losing his seat than losing his rights.”

So, conservatives - is that what you believe?

If not, then how about some condemnation?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights"
Reply #1 - 10/22/19 at 14:03:59

It's okay,... he has some black friends...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 10/22/19 at 15:27:59

Serowbot wrote on 10/22/19 at 14:03:59:

And of course, tt and Bot both 'say' they have a gun.
So they are unequivocally qualified to say,
What kind of gun a person should have,
and who should have one.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/22/19 at 15:51:59

MnSpring wrote on 10/22/19 at 15:27:59:
Serowbot wrote on 10/22/19 at 14:03:59:

And of course, tt and Bot both 'say' they have a gun.
So they are unequivocally qualified to say,
What kind of gun a person should have,
and who should have one.

What's that got to do with a racist, homophobic county official?

Do you ever stay on topic?  Do you always run in the other direction?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/22/19 at 16:08:18

Every post will be about guns, we should know this by now.

My favorite was the outcry when the new Star Wars films had a lead female, a lead black male and a lead white male.

How dare they!  What will all the little white boys do now, will they like a girl in a movie???

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/22/19 at 16:18:03

Eegore wrote on 10/22/19 at 16:08:18:
 Every post will be about guns, we should know this by now.

My favorite was the outcry when the new Star Wars films had a lead female, a lead black male and a lead white male.

How dare they!  What will all the little white boys do now, will they like a girl in a movie???  

LOL - agreed!
Smiley

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/22/19 at 18:32:21

Wow - look at all that condemnation by the cons.....

*crickets*

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 10/23/19 at 07:33:11

T And T Garage wrote on 10/22/19 at 18:32:21:

Yep, exactaly the same as, all that condemnation by the UL FDS GBS's,
About a person running for POTUS,
who has been arrested for Burglary, had a DWI.
Has said he will Confiscate Guns.
And has said he believes all 'churches',
who do Not do as he says,
should be punished by having their tax-exempt status removed.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/23/19 at 07:44:13

MnSpring wrote on 10/23/19 at 07:33:11:
T And T Garage wrote on 10/22/19 at 18:32:21:

Yep, exactaly the same as, all that condemnation by the UL FDS GBS's,
About a person running for POTUS,
who has been arrested for Burglary, had a DWI.

I've commented on that.  he paid his debt - he's good by me.

He's not getting DUI's on a daily basis.

Has said he will Confiscate Guns.
And has said he believes all 'churches',
who do Not do as he says,
should be punished by having their tax-exempt status removed.

I agree about the churches.  To be clear, it's not about then "not doing what he says", it's about them commenting and supporting any political candidate.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #9 - 10/23/19 at 16:24:25

T And T Garage wrote on 10/23/19 at 07:44:13:
To be clear, it's not about then "not doing what he says", it's about them commenting and supporting any political candidate.

So, how is it you, Minimal-Effort-Spring, got this so factually wrong?   Are you-

1) simply ignorant of fact
2) misinformed
3) just a liar

Maybe there's some other option that should go on that list- if so, do enlighten us.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #10 - 10/23/19 at 17:14:00

Mavigogun wrote on 10/23/19 at 16:24:25:
, do enlighten us.  

"Former Texas representative and 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke said Thursday that churches, charities and other religious institutions that oppose same-sex marriage should lose their tax exempt status.  And if he becomes president, this is a policy that he will seek to quickly enforce by executive action, according to the LGBTQ plan on his website."

“There can be no reward, no benefit, no tax break for anyone, or any institution, any organization in America, that denies the full human rights and the full civil rights of every single one of us. And so as president, we are going to make that a priority, and we are going to stop those who are infringing upon the human rights of our fellow Americans.”

(Well according to what, HE, believes someone should do, not what they believe,  as in THEIR religion)

"O’Rourke appeared to go dramatically further than the existing political and legal conversation over LGBTQ rights and religious discrimination, "

"Ben Sasse of Nebraska called O'Rourke's remarks "bigoted nonsense" that "would target a lot of sincere Christians, Jews, and Muslims." "This extreme intolerance is un-American," Sasse added."

"Beto O'Rourke says churches should be taxed if they refuse to support gay marriage "

“And so, as president, we’re going to make that a priority, and we are going to stop those who are infringing upon the human rights of our fellow Americans.”

(Again Beto is punishing because someone does not see, HIS POV)

"his proposal to tax religious institutions that don’t approve of same-sex marriage."

"And a few would be disastrous. Beto O’Rourke’s call last week to deny tax-exempt status to churches and other religious institutions if they oppose marriage equality falls squarely within the last category."

"there would be a profound impact on America’s spiritual infrastructure. Most Christian denominations—including the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, the Latter-Day Saints movement, as well as the Baptist, Methodist, and other evangelical traditions—oppose same-sex marriages and would be swept up in this policy change. So would many Orthodox synagogues and a wide swath of mosques and other Muslim cultural organizations."

Legal precedent is pretty clear in determining that denying tax-exempt status based on a group's viewpoint
would be in violation of the First Amendment.

That's Right, you don't care about anybody's, 'Rights', unless they are, YOUR, 'Rights'.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #11 - 10/23/19 at 21:12:16

4)  Beto jumped the political shark.

I'll rate Marginal Spring's statement "partly true"- yes, O'Rourke asserted religious institutions that obstruct civil liberties should loose their tax exemption privileges, no, not simply because they "do not do as he says".

I'll also rate T and T Garage's statement "partly true"- yes, revocation of tax exemptions was not because religious institutions are "not doing what he says", no, in this case it wasn't merely for transgressive  political endorsements.

Back in 1983, the Supreme Court confronted the conflicting principles of religious freedom and freedom from discrimination.   Institutions which enjoy tax exempt  status do so for their contribution to the public good; the SCOTUS concluded the religious Bob Jones University's tax exemption could be revoked for policies against inter-racial dating and marriage.  Simply, their mission diverged from the interests of the greater community, and their activities were no longer subsidized via tax exemption.

So, yes, violations of civil rights may be a basis for loosing a tax subsidy.   No, Beto O'Rourke did not invent Civil Rights, the proposition that we should all have access to the institutions our taxes pay for.   Without doubt some religious institutions promote discriminatory policies; while it is within their First Amendment rights to do so, that right is not infringed merely because a special privileged is no longer extended- no more so than the many essential journalistic institutions that speak freely without any tax exemption.

So, Beto is right in principle and law- but, perhaps, very wrong politically: moving consensus prescriptively requires a keen apprehension of the Zeitgeist.   Maybe he understood that, and only sought to progress our consideration, without concern for his own immediate political future- or maybe he grossly misjudged the extent hate is treasured in our nominal Union.   When asking folks to choose between free money and hate, it's foolish to forget the third option not proffered: withdrawal of political support.

I'm reminded of another who mistakenly spoke the unvarnished truth-

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

So, I'll eat half a parakeet for my initial rebuke of Muddy Spring- not a crow, as his was still a carnival lens applied to a real occurrence; a gritted-teeth-glad-for avian feast in recognition of the opportunity provided to bridge my own gaps in knowledge.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #12 - 10/24/19 at 08:43:19

Mavigogun wrote on 10/23/19 at 21:12:16:
I'll rate Marginal Spring's statement "partly true"-

Aw-sum SPIN on the substance of:
'You WILL do this, or I WILL do that'

LOL Purely the old UL FDS GBS credo:
"I don't like something, YOU will NOT do it,
I like something, you WILL do it".

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/24/19 at 08:55:04

MnSpring wrote on 10/24/19 at 08:43:19:

Naw - that's trump's way of doing things.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/24/19 at 09:24:09

MnSpring wrote on 10/24/19 at 08:43:19:

Hey, look at this from your orange savior's administration:

White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said Thursday that President Trump does not regret using the term “human scum” to describe Republicans who criticize him, saying they are “just that.”

“The people who are against him and have been against him and working against him since the day he took office are just that,” Grisham said on Fox News. “They deserve strong language like that.”

Trump lashed out Wednesday at “Never Trumper Republicans,” calling them more “dangerous” to the country than Democrats.

“The Never Trumper Republicans, though on respirators with not many left, are in certain ways worse and more dangerous for our Country than the Do Nothing Democrats. Watch out for them, they are human scum!” the president wrote on Twitter.

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-press-sec-claims-143725831.html

Now, tell us all again how 'You WILL do this, or I WILL do that' is so terrible???

LOL - can't wait to see the spin on this. (I'm gonna have to get my windbreaker on!)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 02:33:59

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The "Loss Of White Men’s Rights"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.