Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GPS Speedometer (Read 257 times)
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
GPS Speedometer
10/21/19 at 09:41:40

Has anyone here integrated a GPS Speedometer? I have been reading a lot of reviews on them and they are supposed to be more accurate than the analog speedos... Bonus is there are lots out there that have resettable trip odometers. If anyone is using one or has managed to fit one into the current space where the stock speedometer please let me know. Thanks!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: GPS Speedometer
Reply #1 - 10/21/19 at 15:06:11

I adapted one from Speedhut.

It works well and is easy to hook up - you have to fabricate a mount, and I had to waterproof where the wires go into the housing.

I had photos in my build....they are all gone thanks to Tinypic closing.  I will see if I can find photos on my old computer.......it has been reluctant to come back to life.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #2 - 10/21/19 at 16:07:19

Dave wrote on 10/21/19 at 15:06:11:
I adapted one from Speedhut.

It works well and is easy to hook up - you have to fabricate a mount, and I had to waterproof where the wires go into the housing.

I had photos in my build....they are all gone thanks to Tinypic closing.  I will see if I can find photos on my old computer.......it has been reluctant to come back to life.

Cool thanks! I am wondering what the size of our speedo is, like what size I would need to fit it in there. There are a lot of these speedos on Amazon.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/21/19 at 17:19:00

I found it using Google.  Mine is the big diameter one from Speedhut, and it will be too big for the stock location.  Don't waste your time with the turn signal indicator in the Speedhut speedo - they are made for inside a car and are too dim to be seen in direct sun.

Speedhut.jpg

IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #4 - 10/21/19 at 18:12:56

Dave wrote on 10/21/19 at 17:19:00:
I found it using Google.  Mine is the big diameter one from Speedhut, and it will be too big for the stock location.  Don't waste your time with the turn signal indicator in the Speedhut speedo - they are made for inside a car and are too dim to be seen in direct sun.

Nice. Thanks. Is the trip odometer pretty accurate?

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #5 - 10/22/19 at 02:59:56

I mounted one up front.  I love the GPS gauges. No fuss, no mess.  At the time I sprung for the speedhut, but I dont use the extra features.  If I did it again I would use a less expensive unit.

Black_bars.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #6 - 10/23/19 at 03:20:45

I should have had these LED Headlights, buckets and integrated GPS speedos ready by now, but the mold costs are killing me.  Hopefully sometime soon I will be offering them.  This is just one of the prototypes.

Headlight_speedo_combo.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #7 - 10/23/19 at 03:46:08

SpamyToo wrote on 10/23/19 at 03:20:45:
I should have had these LED Headlights, buckets and integrated GPS speedos ready by now, but the mold costs are killing me.  Hopefully sometime soon I will be offering them.  This is just one of the prototypes.

Interesting idea... Does it have a trip odometer that you can reset?

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/23/19 at 05:40:10

[quote author=5164666A756C6875050 link=1571676100/0#4 date=1571706776]Dave wrote on 10/21/19 at 17:19:00:
Nice. Thanks. Is the trip odometer pretty accurate?

How can I know?  What basis would I have for checking the accuracy?  It works well enough for me to know that I have used up enough fuel and that it is time to stop and get more.

You can get electronic speedometers at a far cheaper price - they generally use a magnet and sensor on the wheel, and once you have the unit calibrated it is accurate.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #9 - 10/23/19 at 08:08:15

No it doesnt.  You can set the odometer to match your bikes mileage and actually reset the odometer if you needed to, but no separate tripometer. Thats just the ones we sell, others might.  

That is a nice way for checking mileage.

Ill see if I can get that feature incorporated in the next batch I get.

Dave, I wouldnt say far cheaper. Mine go for just over 1 bill.  Many of the sensor speedo's are about the same price and you have to run wires and zip tie it all, calibrate it and so on. The GPS is a power up and go deal.

Actually I suppose a bicycle proximity sensor speedo can be pretty cheap. But if your getting an Acewell or something its gonna cost still.

WWW   IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #10 - 12/05/19 at 10:17:51

I found one on eBay with a resettable trip odometer.  Just wondering where people using a GPS speedo put the GPS antenna thing... I plan on putting the speedometer where the original one is located and maybe routing the antenna to the neck of the frame.

Also on the current wires that connect to the stock speedo, which is the Power +12V, Ground, and backlight?

Here is the one I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Speedometer-3-3-8-86mm-120-MPH-LED-light-black-b...

Thank you!!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 12/05/19 at 10:28:32

The antenna needs a clear unobstructed view of the sky and needs to be mounted parallel to the ground. The best mounting location would probably be the rear fender.

On a 2000 LS650, the gray wire is the speedo back light (+). There isn't a (12+VDC) that goes to the OEM speedo, but you can certainly get (12+VDC) from the battery. As always, black with the white trace is the secondary ground and the one used for all of the indicator lights.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #12 - 12/05/19 at 10:36:37

If you just want it for the trip odometer, just grab the speedo from an Intruder. It mounts to the top tree instead of the tank though. And you will need either a cable extension or use a GT750 tach cable instead.

Speedometer.jpg
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #13 - 12/05/19 at 10:44:09

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/05/19 at 10:28:32:
The antenna needs a clear unobstructed view of the sky and needs to be mounted parallel to the ground. The best mounting location would probably be the rear fender.

On a 2000 LS650, the gray wire is the speedo back light (+). There isn't a (12+VDC) that goes to the OEM speedo, but you can certainly get (12+VDC) from the battery. As always, black with the white trace is the secondary ground and the one used for all of the indicator lights.

Thanks for the reply.

So I don't have a fender on the back of the bike, so I will need to toy with some other options. I am sure I can figure out something.

As for the wiring... Run a wire directly from the battery for the 12+v? Don't tap from anywhere else? And if running from the battery, is like 18g wire ok, or do I need something heavier?

Thank you for all of your help.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 12/05/19 at 13:59:16

No, you will want a switched source. The head lamp (white) or tail lamp (brown) are always on when the bike is running. The eBay ad doesn't show the current draw of the unit, but I can't imagine that it's more than a few tenths of an amp.

You could also tap into the main switched power which is the orange wire from the keyed switch.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:41:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS Speedometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!