Send Topic Print
New Cobra Exhaust (Read 53 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
New Cobra Exhaust
10/19/19 at 15:26:55

Finally got around to installing the Cobra slash-cut muffler I purchased a year ago. It's a straight up fit if you mount it as a side exit, but loud as hell and sounds a lot of rat-tat-tat (lawn mowery). I wanted a more down turn look, so I fabricated an adaptor from header to muffler and a stainless monuting plate for suspending it from the original attachment for the stock muffler.

To quiet it and add some depth to the sound placed an additional baffle at exit end of the adaptor which runs into the cavity of the muffler. Quieter and deeper sounding but still loud enough to get a car drivers attention when your in their vacinity.

Also added the new leather a seats.

IMG_4856.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: New Cobra Exhaust
Reply #1 - 10/19/19 at 15:28:17

The adaptor.

IMG_4829.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 10/19/19 at 15:28:56

The hanger.

IMG_4844.JPG
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #3 - 10/19/19 at 15:54:59

Did you fabricatevthat hanger?

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 10/19/19 at 21:11:38

Mavigogun, I did fab the hanger. I have stainless blanks available, and all the layout specs, they do need bent. There is some additional work, they ultilize 2 stainless carriage bolts, with heads ground down  flat (possibly could sub elevator bolts). Adaptor from header to muffler is the bigger fab, but not too complicated. It has a bad ass sound now, I can only describe it as "Savage".

Did about 50 miles on it so far, on an open run up an interstate, it pulled better up to 65, then previous exhaust, and that's where I hold it in general. Blasts to 75 where acceptable. Been riding the newer 2011 for the past month so I am a little out of touch with how the older felt. hadn't riden it since July. There's a whole different dyanmic with the buckhorns on the old and the drag bars on the new  and how it feels on the big road. Would be interested on feedback about that from those who have experienced both configurations.

So far I'm happy with it, but it is a little loud. It does though now have a sort of low grumble, dare I say Harleyisc, is there a spelling for that? One issue may be the front baffle is venting (via the blockage) a lot of hot gas out of the header at the front of the muffler which in a 20 mile initial ride had some heat issues in the chrome of the Cobra. With longer runs it may just all go away in the wash.

With a better placed, solid chrome, no holes shield, I think it would have a look that flows even better along the pipe. Anyway, I have blanks for the hanger, extra bent and cut apater pipes from the header, and the extra baffle is a Highway Hawk part. I does require some shim spacers and tooling.

IMG_4857.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:41:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Cobra Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.