Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Titanium Header (Read 101 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Titanium Header
10/16/19 at 15:45:57

Seeing as Armen hasn't even gotten to running a titanium pipe my guess is no one has. I'm in the process of getting quotes for a header at the moment.

I'm currently running a stock header with a supertrapp and I gotta say, the ability to tune the muffler seems like a great option for fine tuning the bike. Some research shows the supertrapp is really just glasspack with the discs for tunability so it would be possible to construct a titanium "supertrapp" and resuse the discs.

Does this whole idea seem not worth the time/money or is a full titanium exhaust worth more than the pretty welds?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Titanium Header
Reply #1 - 10/16/19 at 18:59:22

The thing about Ti, is not only is the material expensive, it has to be either welded in a vacuum or in a chamber full of inert gas.
I was going to gather up a bunch of pre-bent parts from Aircone and try tacking together a head pipe. You can get the stuff in mild steel or stainless (I'm pretty sure).
The big weight savings is going from the very thick double wall stocker to a single wall head pipe. Even as crazy as I am about weight, I wouldn't bother with a Ti header unless I knew someone who worked at a place that made the stuff. Prob end up costing thousands for Ti, as opposed to hundreds for the steel one.
But if you do, please post pics.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #2 - 10/16/19 at 20:15:00

Good to know on the double wall, alot of the appeal for me is just the cosmetic of Ti but theres almost no way Ill get around to it soon. Down the line for sure though.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 10/16/19 at 22:42:27

Id be curious to see if the DR650 header fits and where it lands on the bike.  Maybe for a scrambler build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Head-Pipe-Header-For-Suzuki-...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-Racing-Powerbomb-Head-Pipe-Exhaust-Header-1997-2...

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/17/19 at 04:38:08

I thought the DR650 head had the exhaust port on the left side - while the S40 has it on the right side?

I have been wanting to build a stainless header for years......I just haven't been able to do it yet.  Unfortunately I have not found anyone that can mandrel bend one - so it would require getting the bent parts and cutting/welding a header together.  Pretty welds are not my specialty so far - so I might just tack the parts together and take them to a good welder.  Stainless must be welded with the inside of the pipe filled with an inert gas - otherwise the inside of the weld "sugars" and makes big drippy beads.  The available bends are at a smaller radius than the stock pipe - so the angle at the head will not be the big easy bend that the stock pipe has.

There are plenty of stainless mufflers available including the Supertrapp.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 10/17/19 at 09:46:04

Dave, have you checked Summit Racing? They have a selection of stainless bends in 1.75" OD with the same radius as the stock pipe and comes polished or not polished. A 180 bend can be carefully cut so that it will make both bends on the pipe. Total cost for enough pipe to make 2 exhausts was only around $60 when I ordered mine. We weld stainless at work, so I will get one of the guys at work to weld it up for me when I get to that stage.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/17/19 at 13:39:48

A 1.5" diameter pipe is a better choice for my engine.......I putt around at partial throttle a lot.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/17/19 at 15:10:41

WWW   IP Logged
batman