Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
And that's a wrap....... (Read 58 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
And that's a wrap.......
10/15/19 at 13:11:25

Just got back from the last trip of the season....was good.

Let me say this, if you are thinking about buying a camping trailer, all I have to say is do it.
You meet the nicest folk, enjoy the outdoors, and can relax simply...

This campground was a little tight, had to really pay close attention while driving in, and out, as the trees were everywhere, coming right next to the roadway.

A few pictures, it was getting chilly  Grin

Maybe one more, if I can find a way outta here that won't require getting past snow to get to the warmth  Grin

Sorry, I only took my Iphone, the quality is lacking in the picture, but you still get the gist of it, yes  Wink

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: And that's a wrap.......
Reply #1 - 10/16/19 at 17:58:18

Looks like a great place Ray.

My wife and I bought a camper/toyhauler, and we have been able to take it on a few trips this summer.....our trip to Arkansas was the first time we loaded up a motorcycle and took it with us.

My truck is a 2002 and I only get about 9 mpg so we cannot ecomonically take it everywhere we go....we have to weigh the low fuel mileage in with the length of stay to see if it is worth hauling the camper - or should we rent a cabin, tent or stay in a hotel.  It is far more relaxing if we can sleep in our camper in the wilderness.  I believe we are done hauling the camper anywhere until warm weather returns....but maybe we could get one cold weather trip in November for some fall camping without the motorcycle!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 10/16/19 at 19:14:14

Yeah Dave, I only get about 11.....going DOWNHILL   Angry

I've yet to travel more than a day to any given spot, then set up, so the cost versus boarding is cheaper, not to mention way more convenient.

I will be doing a 3 week trip next year, I figure I will just overnight in some spots, without even disconnecting the trailer, so again, maybe 35 for overnight, as compared to maybe 100 bucks for a room, or more?

Also, let say your other vehicle get 20 MPG, so you must factor that in as well, getting twice the mileage per tank, but having to pay for it elsewhere.

BTW, my truck gets pretty much the same MPG regardless of towing or not, strange, maybe 3 miles more empty is all ?????

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/17/19 at 04:28:13

My truck is a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with a 5.3 liter gas V8 that does not have the latest technology for good mileage - it gets around 12 mpg empty - it drops to 9mpg with the trailer.  Our trip to Arkansas was 600 miles - so we took 2 days to get there, same for coming home.  While it is possible to make that trip in a single day - we chose to go at a more relaxed pace and enjoy the trip more.  We found very nice small family run campgrounds for all the stays, and prices were $28 - $30 each night with hookups.  Not all of the roads we drove were interstates and a few were 2 lane roads with towns - so our average speed was not very high.

When I first bought this camper I expected that while traveling we could overnight in the Rest Areas along the interstate - that however seems to be impossible in this area.  The number of trucks on the road is overwhelming, and most rest areas are completely full at night, the parking areas smell like urine as the drivers don't walk to the bathroom but choose to pee on the pavement instead, and the noise from the idling trucks and freezer trucks is obnoxious........and there is always the occasional cattle truck (full or empty they are smelly).

On our last trip I tried doing a comparison of mpg of my truck and trailer (9mpg) vs. my car (30mpg) and a current $2.50 fuel price.  Then include the cost of food for the camper vs. eating out, the cost of the camping spot vs. the cost of a hotel, etc. - the end result is that my wife had to give me a Dope Slap and tell me that this was not an economic exercise.......we have chosen to enjoy our senior years by going camping, hiking, motorcycle riding, and sightseeing in the USA - and as long as we are not being wasteful with our money it really doesn't matter if we prefer camping more than we like staying in a hotel!

I still think that there are trips that won't warrant taking the camper, and we will still take the car occasionally.  Someday I want to travel on Route 66, and part of the fun would be staying in the Tee Pee hotel and other vintage places that still exist.  We also may not always have the luxury of being able to travel slowly - or we may travel in the winter and I really don't want to pull the trailer on snow covered roads.  Towing the trailer is not unpleasant - however we do slow down significantly on steep hills as the truck doesn't have any excess power - I just run the engine between 2,000 - 3,000 rpm and let the speed vary as needed.

So.....I concur with your thoughts - we are enjoying our camper, we have stayed in some really nice campgrounds and met very nice people (so far none of our neighbors have been loud or partied late into the night like they do in the tent areas).  And like the current motorcycle market - the used camper market is huge and you can find good bargains as folks always seem to want to trade up and get bigger/newer campers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 10/17/19 at 07:51:37

Well you certainly done your homework...... Smiley

It is indeed, a lifestyle choice, and cost must be weighed.
If we are going to a specific destination, and staying there, then we too opt for the 30mpg vehicle, tho I miss my truck, it drives so nice, roomy, and pisses off environmentalist  Grin

I have found that if you pay a little more to get the better campgrounds, they police and maintain them better, I am more than willing to pay a premium for that....

BTW, being part Indian myself, and knowing the habits and character of the tribe.....
Those tee-pees you have on your bucket list.....
They smell like pee too  Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 19:03:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › And that's a wrap.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.